ELECTRIC REELS

SPARKY

AFTER A DICUSSION WITH FISHERIES OFFICERS TODAY ON THE HAWKSBURY

THEY HAVE SAID AS OF 01/01/2012 ELECTRIC FISHING REELS WILL BE BANNED

APARENTLY THIS MOTION WENT THROUGH LAST WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

HAS ANYONE HEARD THE SAME

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT BUYING ONE INFACT I WAS READY TO BUY ON MONDAY

THINK I MIGHT HAVE TO WAIT ITS A LOT OF MONEY TO SPEND ON SOMETHING YOU CANNOT USE.

SPARKY

I agree with that, whats the point of catching a fish if your not fighting anyway :wacko:

I take that back, 500 meters is a big drop down and a fair weight to pull up, Never Tried it but would love to one day.

Edited by Groper

Thats all right for you young blokes

But us old fellas like a feed of fish to and winding u a 30kg fish in 500 meters of water

thats a heart atttach waiting to happen 40k off shore dont like the chansers of surciving

SPARKY

They will never be able to stop people using electric reels . It is an act of discrimination to people with disabilies so i know they will have to fight a class action if it goes through. I fish with someone who has MS and cannot use a normal reel so they can only use an electric reel .

Thats all right for you young blokes

But us old fellas like a feed of fish to and winding u a 30kg fish in 500 meters of water

thats a heart atttach waiting to happen 40k off shore dont like the chansers of surciving

SPARKY

Sorry Sparky wasnt thinking of you guys, maybe they should bring a rule that us young fellas arent allowed to use them :074:

THINK I MIGHT HAVE TO WAIT ITS A LOT OF MONEY TO SPEND ON SOMETHING YOU CANNOT USE.

SPARKY

They can say what they want where is the press release from the department of primary industries regarding this legislation?.I did a google search on the topic and found nothing.What about the professional fishermen who use hydraulic winches and kill undersize fish.Their argument is that anglers can upgrade their catch due to the ease of use with these reels in as as much they can keep the smaller fish and then upgrade them for a bigger fish.Subsequently the small fish go back still legal size with no hope of survival due to the depths.I cant see the logic behind their argument.Most importantly how will fishermen be compensated for the loss incurred in their purchase.I bet Fisheries will not be reimbursing anyone.Just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers Steve

Im not a fan of Electric reels,,,, i dont see the sport in it,,, mind you im lazy and dont fish over 100mtrs,,, It shits me ( I mus be gettin old!) pullin fish up out of 100mtrs with a 4.2 ratio reel.....

SPARKY

What is the real logic in banning electric reels????

Deep drop fishing with electric just makes the day more enjoyable , there is no fight pulling fish up from deep water???

Have done both electric and manual winding and its electric for me and lets hope it stays personal choice as some people its there only means of bringing home a great feed for there familys.

chris

My mate uses an electric and i use a rod-mounted alvey reel when bottom dropping browns. We do it to get a feed on the way out chasing tuna etc, not for sport. I think this is fair enough given the amount spent on fuel ad bait.

He catches his bag limit of gemmies in 1 or 2 drops (and has a very sore thumb :1prop: ).

I get my bag limit of gemmies in 1 or 2 drops (albeit taking longer).

No difference on the fish stocks.

No doubt this motion/idea was started by some green group. It comes down to the same old points:

- They need to learn to respect that their opinion is not the only one out there

- Get the facts right before making unsubstantiated claims

- I did not hear them object when the federal labour government increased tuna/marlin quotas for the past year (which are species recognised to be under threat)

Ive seen the fisheries out at browns filming boats in crappy weather and in good weather boarding boats, I reckon thats who they will catch people and if ya using it manually there will be no lead hanging out of the reel and you'll be winding the handle. And as for a buy back, THEY MAY SAY.. some electric reels can be used manually so use them that way. And use the electic motor to only respool them. Thats just my thought.. We all know what governments are like.. I have an electric reel fingers X'ed it doesnt come into full affect..

Benny.

I have an alvey reefmast electric.

No manual wind available.

Cost me over a grand plus line.

Last time I tried to manually wind up 400m at browns (with my other reel, a reef-queen), left me too puffed out to drop again.

So the electric came out.

It made the day enjoyable.

I certainly did not feel like I was doing the wrong thing.

It wasn't sporting but you can't eat sporting, can you?

If you luck out on the tuna, you can at least bring home some fish to eat.

I think it's funny when people catch lots of fish and release them all, then come home and eat pizza.....

Still only came home with 2 blue-eye.

What a dent I made to the blue-eye population...

It seems politicians are constantly focussing on issues that are of no real importance to the general scheme of things.

They busy themselves looking at why there are not enough daisies in a field while the forest is being cut down for timber and the ground is being open cut for coal.....

They can't see the forest for the trees.

No....actually they WONT see the forest for the trees.

Why, may I ask?

Because the real issues are just too hard to tackle.

So they don't.

We then get into a fluster about the electric reel saga and defocus from the important stuff.

Society is really turning into a "Big brother is watching you"

George Orwell was right......

The thought police will be next....

Tony

Edited by Keflapod

For all you people who don't understand electric reels and there purpose go out to the 300 metre mark and drop over 20 kilos of weight at wind it up,if your keen do it again,i think its a great way for recreational anglers

like myself getting a great feed of fish that your average fisherman or anybody for that fact cant afford to buy,i used to catch hapuka and blue nose {blue eye} in NZ in 100metres of water using stand up 15kg and the only reason we did was because in those days

nobody had heard of electric reels,if they are going to ban electric reels then ban alvey deck winches if its an argument about sport ,seriously whats the difference i just don't chose to stuff my back when i go out there.

Ive been boarded a few times at browns when they have been patrolling in a 8 ft inflatable but seriously its going to be hard to police,even if they stop the sale of them you can still by one from overseas online if need be.