scallop bash port phillip bay

farizzy

Gday Raiders

Back in Melbourne for work and decided to give the snapper a miss tonight and head out for a bag of scallops, Headed to our old stompping grounds at rye. The scallop beds are so thick these days we only headed out 1km in 7 mts of water. Got our bag pretty quick then headed in to shell our catch over a few drinks. No wonder the snapper are getting better and better every year. The bye back of most of the netters and trawler boats in the bay years ago has deffinatlly paid off big time.

Not sure where or if you can dive for scallops in sydney, anybody know.

Cheers.

Edited by mui mui

Hi Mui Mui,

How did you catch those tasty morsels? I know a spot in Sydney that has got heaps of scallop shells on the beach, but I've got no clue how to find the patch, and once I do, how to grab the suckers - other than going for a dive!

Care to share?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mui Mui,

How did you catch those tasty morsels? I know a spot in Sydney that has got heaps of scallop shells on the beach, but I've got no clue how to find the patch, and once I do, how to grab the suckers - other than going for a dive!

Care to share?

Thanks

Mike

How about you take me & ill dive for them & give you half every time :thumbup:

yeah there are heaps in port phillip, they are mostly in 7 to 10 mt. we scuba for them but last year they were in 3 mt, people were swiming of the beach and snorkling for them. we just grab them with gloves, they just sit on the bottom in the sand. we only use the gloves because in the empty shells you get blue ring octapus and if those suckers bite u your problably done for before you get back to the ramp.

ive got all my dive gera and a boat in sydney so im keen to have a paddle and find some scallys for sure.

Hi Mui Mui,

Care to share?

Thanks

Mike

best way is just to free dive down and have a look. we use to start in 5 mt and dive down 2 mt till you can see the bottom, you see the scallops straight away, just pick them up, they just lay ontop of the sand, easy as.