And now for something the same.....

luderick -angler

And so on the 23rd a plan was hatched whist I was at the fly tying bench I had some green synthetic glister dubbing so I thought damn thsi a would make a great green weed fly......skip to a phone call from Scrubby and the plan was formed we would meet at my place the next morning for the weekly and usual luderick bash. Forward to 4.30am Xmas Eve, Paul arrived just as the coffee had brewed and we discussed the days session we would get some bait at a local spot for him and I would atempt to fish a whole dy and catch fish armed only with my 7 weight Sage and a handful of weed flies. Coffee consumed pit stop at Maccas bait gathered we were off to the spot. Arrived there mixed the burley and headed off along the wall. We settled in on our chosen rocks and I got some burley going, as has become the norm I usually get first fish of the day and outfish Paul and duly mentionedhe should hook up first using bait! He also said if I hook up fisrt on the fly he was spitting the dummy and going home, so I lay out my fisrt cast and bang hookup on FLY well I dropped that fish but the look from Paul was disbelief, he did though land the first fish! From then on till high water it was action, Paul manged 4 to the net and dropped 4, and a first for me I never picked up my bait rod and manged 4 on the fly and dropped 4 on the fly busting on what I reckon was a good fish of 40 plus cms.....so I put a theory to test as well, the actual weed fly looks and feels like a weed bait that it is uncanny, this leads me to think if you burley and the yare interested it is the form colour and feel of an artificial that matters and that luderick are not always the shy finicky feeders a lot of people are led to beleive they are......oh best luderick on fly was a tad over 32cms.

And heres the evidence...........

post-5131-080215200 1324807260_thumb.jpg

post-5131-069386800 1324807301_thumb.jpg

post-5131-041688600 1324807340_thumb.jpg

While sitting with Royce & chatting over a coffee at his place I mentioned to him

that I had a feeling this was going to be a good day & what an insane session it

turned out to be & you couldn't have asked for better conditions to fish in.

For the first 2hrs before the top of the tide it was just havoc. The blackfish

were nailing you soon as your bait hit the water & when Royce got his fist

blackfish on a fly rod & his home made weed fly you couldn't get the smile

of his face & I was standing there in astonishment. Royce said to me watch

this as he cast his fly line out. Within a minute his indicator goes under

& his is on to & ripper of a fish & was giving his fly rod a good workout

but with one last ditch for freedom he busted Royce off on the rocks while

I tried to net him. After watching Royce nailing these fish on a fly rod &

weed fly I'm tempted now to learn how to fly fish.

Scrubby

Stormy,

You don't actually need a fly line to use the weed fly, They can be used under a conventional float thelighterthe float the better as soon as I can get out the rocks the yare getting a test run in ocean conditions.

Hawkesbass,

The fly stayed the same length and did not shorten.

Off again tomorrow to try the experiment!!!!!

Can anyone tell me if there is a record length for a fly caught (using fly rod fly line and artificial for luderick?) If not I would like to submitmy 32cm model as the first and invite someone to knock it off!

Stormy check your PM's

Well done Royce & Paul!! Terrific looking fish - and wouldn't they 'go' on that fly rod???

I've caught on fly before, but only under a float - it was a nice fish, can't remember the length! What indicator did you use?

Great day on the water!

Roberta

Well done Royce, sure looks like a fun way to fish for them, I fish with a chap at Avoca who fishes with a weed fly and he will sometimes catch as many as me fishing the conventional way..

Good onya buddy.. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Royce,

Do you reckon you need to burley them up?

There is a canal near where I live that is packed with blackfish, it's quite shallow though and I don't know a spot to get weed. I was thinking of drifting a few of your weed flies past them and seeing if I get a result. Would this be a waste of time?