Welcome to Fishraider

Welcome to Fishraider, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Fishraider by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here

Photo

how to catch Australian salmon

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Flathead bream

Flathead bream

MACKEREL

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

G day!!! I want to catch Australian salmon so much. Where do you think is the best place
to catch Australian salmon. It doesn't matter if it is a beach or rock but it should be near
nothern beaches or near sydney. Could u also tell me some tips how to catch them for example
which bait to use, hook size , rod size,etc..

Thank u :)

#2 OFFLINE   mulloway man

mulloway man

JEWFISH

• ADDICTED MEMBER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

Ganged Pilchards fished in a nice gutter on run up and top of tide at most beaches on the northern beaches!

#3 OFFLINE   aeb870

aeb870

WHITING

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

I was in a very similar situation when I was desperate for my first Salmon. After many attempts in many places, I find beaches to be the easiest. You will find Salmon present on almost every beach, so I would imagine Northern Beaches to be good.

I fish with a 12ft rod (10ft should also be ok) and use the simple rig below (or other variations of it), a size 3/0 or even 4/0 gang hooks with a full pilchard. Other times I will use a double hook with a strip of fish (Mackerel, mullet, stripey, etc)

Attached File  Salmon-01.gif   17.97KB   34 downloads

Basically just cast in the gutter, and you should be in luck if there is any Salmon around. My preferred times for beach fishing is a couple of hours before sunset to a couple of hours after, so I usually time the rising tide around this period and fish those days.

I think with a bit of luck, it will be a matter of time before you land a Salmon. 2 out of 3 trips to the beach I usually catch Salmon.

#4 OFFLINE   The Incredible Hull

The Incredible Hull

SNAPPER

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

Is the Star sinker meant to be longer than the hook line? Or shorter as the picture suggests?

#5 OFFLINE   aeb870

aeb870

WHITING

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

I generally have it shorter, much shorter actually. Just to give you a rough idea, I create my leader (hook line) around 60cm or more and the sinker line around 20cm or less.

#6 OFFLINE   matt84

matt84

FLATHEAD

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

how to catch aussie salmon.... step 1. fish for anything... i cant get away from the bastards up my way.

#7 OFFLINE   GORNNN

GORNNN

MACKEREL

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

Caught a 60cm salmon at Dee Why beach. My brother and his mate fish there regularly, and have been spooled twice by something pretty big.

#8 OFFLINE   hookmeup

hookmeup

FLATHEAD

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

I was in a very similar situation when I was desperate for my first Salmon. After many attempts in many places, I find beaches to be the easiest. You will find Salmon present on almost every beach, so I would imagine Northern Beaches to be good.

I fish with a 12ft rod (10ft should also be ok) and use the simple rig below (or other variations of it), a size 3/0 or even 4/0 gang hooks with a full pilchard. Other times I will use a double hook with a strip of fish (Mackerel, mullet, stripey, etc)

Attached File  Salmon-01.gif   17.97KB   34 downloads

Basically just cast in the gutter, and you should be in luck if there is any Salmon around. My preferred times for beach fishing is a couple of hours before sunset to a couple of hours after, so I usually time the rising tide around this period and fish those days.

I think with a bit of luck, it will be a matter of time before you land a Salmon. 2 out of 3 trips to the beach I usually catch Salmon.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought you could only have a maximum of 3 hooks ganged ??

#9 OFFLINE   fishingphase

fishingphase

JEWFISH

• ADDICTED MEMBER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Dosnt have to be a full pilly, a half or third pilchard on a single hook will do, which also allows the possibility to catch other smaller species .

Fishingphase

#10 OFFLINE   aeb870

aeb870

WHITING

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

Ye, sorry that diagram was a quick cut/paste job from the internet.

You can actually get more than 3 hooks in a gang, but normally that involves buying the right hooks and connecting them up.

I only really ever use 3 gangs ready made from the shop, easiest way to do it.

#11 OFFLINE   The Incredible Hull

The Incredible Hull

SNAPPER

• MEMBERS
  • 756 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

Caught a 60cm salmon at Dee Why beach. My brother and his mate fish there regularly, and have been spooled twice by something pretty big.

We caught a very large port jackson at dee why a few months ago, at night. He was definitely over 1 metre long.
We called it quits very early that night, due to the incoming tide bringing heaps of seaweed, grabbing all our lines.

#12 OFFLINE   aeb870

aeb870

WHITING

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

We caught a very large port jackson at dee why a few months ago, at night. He was definitely over 1 metre long.
We called it quits very early that night, due to the incoming tide bringing heaps of seaweed, grabbing all our lines.

I am really interested in targeting the elusive Jewfish (yes still haven't landed my first one :depression:).
Is Dee Why any good?

#13 OFFLINE   fisholb

fisholb

SNAPPER

• MEMBERS
  • 537 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Try newport or narrabeen up north or wanda or garie down south.

Use pilchard on a two hook rig with big star sinker.

Rising tide with less than 1m swell.

Try around 4pm onwards.

I use 2x 2/0 octopus hook and 30lb trace with 20lb mainline with 10ft rod. i got alvey 650bcxl reel n 600 rod.

Hope this helps n catch your 1st salmon.

Plenty of salmon n tailor on the beaches atm.

#14 OFFLINE   GORNNN

GORNNN

MACKEREL

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

Yeah my brother pulled one in while I was up there fishing with them last year. Big bastard to, have a photo of it somewhere.

#15 OFFLINE   beaverbenny

beaverbenny

PILCHARD

• NEW MEMBERS
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

attachicon.gifSalmon-01.gif

Gave this a crack for the first time today down at Narrabeen. High tide at 3.45pm but was fishing from 5 just till 6.30. Landed a neat 57cm Salmon just on a pilchard which fought well. Launching out of the water a few times and dancing around.
Got a few photos ill post. Anyone know any good recipes?

#16 OFFLINE   beaverbenny

beaverbenny

PILCHARD

• NEW MEMBERS
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

Heres some snaps.

Attached Files

#17 OFFLINE   SgtBundy

SgtBundy

WHITING

• MEMBERS
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

I have only caught one (not for lack of trying) on a waxwing lure - I wanted to try it because I was told they were supposed to be a strong taste.  For mine I bled it on the beach, took the fillets off on the beach and took them home.  Then before cooking I removed the red blood line flesh, coated the remaining white fillets in a mix of flour, salt, pepper and a little chilli powder and then fried them up in the pan.  I quite liked it, I have had worse fish that are supposed to be better eating.