Atlantic Salmon Spots NSW

elferoz777

Hi guys,

Might be making a hunting trip out west soon and was wondering if there were any spots in nsw that hold Atlantic salmon?

I hunt rabbits and pigs near Wyangla Dam though I only think carp and bass live in that thing.

So any spots of the way out west followed by some friendly pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

El Feroz

Hi guys,

Might be making a hunting trip out west soon and was wondering if there were any spots in nsw that hold Atlantic salmon?

I hunt rabbits and pigs near Wyangla Dam though I only think carp and bass live in that thing.

So any spots of the way out west followed by some friendly pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

El Feroz

correct me if i'm wrong but i didn't think they had atlantic salmon in NSW?

Edited by mack attack 79

haha I know I do enjoy bass but I was hoping for something different.

I did some net research and they claim salmon live in nsw waters out west though I have heard this is wrong.

Yeah, i read they stock them in a few places. Didn't say where though..

How could an atlantic salmon' an ocean fish, live 'out west'? West Australia maybe. Atlantic salmon are farmed in huge sea enclosures in Tassie. Maybe the odd one escapes and wanders north. But out west? No.

isn't atlantic salmon a salt water fish, so why would they be in fresh water lakes//rivers

Exert from: http://www.seafoodcrc.com/school-project-information/the-atlantic-salmon-industry.html

About the Atlantic Salmon industry

The Atlantic Salmon is so called because it is normally found in the rivers which run into the North Atlantic Ocean, both in Europe and on the east coasts of America and Canada. This fish hatches from an egg laid in gravel in a river, and spends the first one to two years of its life in freshwater.

When it is ready to migrate, it then moves down a river to the sea, becoming what is known as a "smolt". It may then swim many thousands of kilometers in the Atlantic Ocean in search of food. When the salmon have been at sea for at least a year it starts to mature and becomes ready to reproduce. At this stage it returns to the river where it lived when it was young and swims back upstream until it reaches a suitable place to lay eggs.

Atlantic Salmon have been continuing this life-cycle around the Atlantic Ocean for millions of years. However, man has recently transferred Atlantic Salmon to places very far from the Atlantic Ocean, like the west coats of Canada and America, Chile, New Zealand and, of course, Australia. In most of these "foreign" countries the Atlantic Salmon does not usually reproduce and multiply very well when released into the wild. However, it seems to survive and grow quite happily in fish farms.

Detailed information about the Atlantic salmon industry can be found at www.tsga.com.au/info

Edited by Cheap Charlie

Wow......had no idea! This from Snowy Mountains Fishing website:

"Originally from the North Atlantic ocean, the salmon was introduced into Australia in the mid 1880's, although not successfully in NSW til 1962. Only Lakes Burrinjuck and Jindabyne have Atlantic Salmon, with Lake Jindabyne the most successful. Being land locked the fish do not breed naturally and are stacked annually by the Gaden Trout Hatchery. Fish over 10kg are regular captures."

Imagine catch a 10kg Atlantic Salmon in NSW!

They have in the past been stocked in the Burrinjuck, Wyangala as well as the tailrace below, never did any good and it seems very unlikely they would still go into Burrinjuck.For the record they do complete their life-cycle in some landlocked overseas lakes.

Edited by zook2001