How To Tell If A Tree Has Been Poisoned?

Lizardboy

A mangrove tree at one of my local fishing haunts has turned half brown and i can't see any reason for this to have happened when all the other mangroves seem healthy . Mangroves are pretty hardy as far as i know. Given its position and the removal of other bankside vegatation and need less De-snagging from the area I'm considering the fact that it may have been poisoned! I'm not interested in naming names or revealing the location at this stage as i may be wrong.

I'm sure someone from the site will be able to tell me how you tell if a tree has been poisened? ie could you take a leaf sample and send it in somewhere to get tested, or would i need a branch, how long would the poison stay in the trees system. The last time I was there was around a month or two ago and the mangrove looked perfectly healthy then. I examined the base of the tree and there were a couple of holes, but it was too dark to determine if they were drill holes or knot holes.

Cheers,

Lizard

Edited by Lizardboy

:(

A mangrove tree at one of my local fishing haunts has turned half brown and i can't see any reason for this to have happened when all the other mangroves seem healthy . Mangroves are pretty hardy as far as i know. Given its position and the removal of other bankside vegatation and need less De-snagging from the area I'm considering the fact that it may have been poisoned! I'm not interested in naming names or revealing the location at this stage as i may be wrong.

I'm sure someone from the site will be able to tell me how you tell if a tree has been poisened? ie could you take a leaf sample and send it in somewhere to get tested, or would i need a branch, how long would the poison stay in the trees system. The last time I was there was around a month or two ago and the mangrove looked perfectly healthy then. I examined the base of the tree and there were a couple of holes, but it was too dark to determine if they were drill holes or knot holes.

Cheers,

Lizard

Lizard,

im not sure how to tell but i can say it sounds like it might have been poisoined. My holiday house is on the water front on brisbane waters. There are mangroves and gum trees in front of our house, but none which block the view. But the house to my left have huge gumtrees blocking the views and over the last couple of years the mangroves and gumtress seem to be dying off. No doubt from being poisioned to raise the value of the houses.

It hase prompted Gosford City council to put up a sign saying tree and mangrove vandalism is a crime. And the fines reach $440,000 if your caught.....OOOuchhh

G`day Fellas ,

LB , the most common way trees are poisened , is to drill a little hole well into the trunk down near the base of the tree , and fill the hole with Arsenic or some such stuff , and then plug the hole with a piece of cork , smear it with dirt or mud , and its almost invisible untill the tree starts to die.

So examine the tree at low tide and look for the tell tale plug somewhere near the base of the tree.

But it takes a keen eye to spot it though.

Mick

Cheers for the replies, I still don't know whether i should take a sample (leaf, bark or possible drill hole) and send it in to be tested, I may jut get in contact with the council or fisheries. I've taken some photos (but haven't had time to re-size) and the hole in the base of the tree (which is roughly 10-15mm in diameter) appears to be circularly grooved on the inside.

Lizard