Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
swordfisherman

Nsw Maritime Authority Info

10 posts in this topic

Raiders have recently been reporting that anchor ropes have been severed by persons unknown, suspected to be divers.

I contacted NSW Maritime Authority and spoke to Mr Marcus Cahill. He stated that this practice of anchoring and allowing divers underneath anchored vessels is not illegal. It is regarded as a courtesy issue.

Cutting of anchor ropes is a criminal offence and is reportable to the NSW Maritime body within 24 hrs. The link below is the downloadable forms available to report.

From the application link below find Miscellaneous Forms and download the VESSEL INCIDENT FORM and the WITNESS STATEMENT FORM.

CLICK HERE FOR FORMS

Gather as much information, including pictures and description of the vessel, registration number etc. All forms received will be investigated.

Send completed forms to

Marine Investigations Unit

NSW Maritime,

Locked Bag 5100

Camperdown, NSW, 1450

OR

fax to (02) 9563 8699

Mr Marcus Cahill suggested that if enough letters of concern are received by the Authority, the laws regarding distances between anchored boats and divers may be reviewed.

Should you wish to voice an opinion on this issue, send a letter to

Mr Brett Moore

General Manager Recreational Boating

Locked Bag 5100

Camperdown, NSW, 1450

Cheers swordfisherman

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

I am sure there are heaps of good divers out there it's just that I have never come across any. I have had them hold up the launching and retrieving of friends boat(on several occassions) whilst they chat and load/unload boat on ramp and the old "lets dive right where these guys are fishing" :1badmood::1badmood:

We even rescued a woman diver down Jervis Bay a few years ago. She lost her mermaid line and was carried down current. She was exhausted when she surfaced at our boat approx 1000 yards from her dive boat. Brought her on board and took her back to dive boat. She thanked us profusely and offered free drinks at Husky Pub. Went back to where we were fishing and a mako of about 10ft surfaced for a feed. We didn't go for the free drinks as my mate wasn't a drinker :thumbdown::thumbdown:

I suppose it's like all walks of life there is the good and bad

That was a very nice gesture to rescue that poor woman and hopefully the dive boat people would do the same for a fisho in distress .I wanna make this quite clear here and now !! This is not a dive boat or divers bashing session ,its a way of reporting very poor judgement on the part of a selected few and we all can share the waterways together :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Thanks Swordfisherman,

Info much appreciated, didn't think there was anything to stop a dive operator from directing divers to dive a certain area reguardless of anchored boats already in the area.

I've fished speared and scuba over the past 20 years and have never had a problem like this before, 99% of divers are fine and have good etiquite, you know what they say "one bad apple".

Don't need to go into it, downloaded those forms, and will be more informed if this was to happen again.

cheers

Thanks Swordfisherman,

Info much appreciated, didn't think there was anything to stop a dive operator from directing divers to dive a certain area reguardless of anchored boats already in the area.

I've fished speared and scuba over the past 20 years and have never had a problem like this before, 99% of divers are fine and have good etiquite, you know what they say "one bad apple".

Don't need to go into it, downloaded those forms, and will be more informed if this was to happen again.

cheers

Happy to have been of assistance and hopefully a few letters in the right direction could get the ball rolling :biggrin2:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Champion effort Stu!!!!

I didnt have room in the freezer for a diver anyway!!!!

Thanks for that mate. :thumbup::thumbup:

Mick

Champion effort Stu!!!!

I didnt have room in the freezer for a diver anyway!!!!

Thanks for that mate. :thumbup::thumbup:

Mick

:Funny-Post: No worries Mick ,just hope this doesnt happen again

Cheers Swordfisherman

a bunch of divers sat and watched from about 5 mtrs away, as I got severely messed up whilst trying to get my boat on the trailer in rough weather, I got stuck underneath the boat. a kayaker eventually came to my rescue, all the way from the carpark. I was bruised, wet and cut on my legs. where are all the good divers? i only seem to meet the bad ones

Edited by piratesgold

I am 62 and remember my early spearfishing days when everyone helped anyone who looked like they needed it at the boat ramp; without questions asked. Now sadly it is common to see sniggering finger-pointing smartalecs when someone is struggling.

Let's all set an example: when someone gets it wrong at the boat ramp let's go and offer help. Tell them about some of our own mistakes. Make them feel good. Send them on their way with a boosted faith in humanity.

It will make the fishing better in so many ways. and the fish will taste better too!

I am 62 and remember my early spearfishing days when everyone helped anyone who looked like they needed it at the boat ramp; without questions asked. Now sadly it is common to see sniggering finger-pointing smartalecs when someone is struggling.

Let's all set an example: when someone gets it wrong at the boat ramp let's go and offer help. Tell them about some of our own mistakes. Make them feel good. Send them on their way with a boosted faith in humanity.

It will make the fishing better in so many ways. and the fish will taste better too!

Great 1st Post Sealegs and :1welcomeani: to Fishraider

Cheers Blood Knot