Secho

Woolnough Knoll

11 posts in this topic

Hi Raiders,

Interested in hearing anything anyone might have to offer about Woolnough Knoll in the close vacinity of Browns...

Being so close, is it generally just considered as being part of Browns or is it specifically targeted as separate destination?

Map info that i've found shows that it's rise is almost identical to Browns and much less than a mile off the browns mark..

While i'm at it.. does anyone have an opinion as to which of these could be deemed as being the most accurate browns mark:

34.02.200S 151.39.500E

Versus

34.01.842S 151.40.230E

Or are the marks close enough that both are on the money?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Marty

Secho, been looking at google have we lol. From what i gather woolnough knoll is part of the ridge system beginning at long reef and extending se Heatons hill is also part of this system as well as many other well known spots. There are greater seamounts out there which rise dramatically from the bed, The Gascoyne is one and a place id love to fish but to organise it would take a good year. Browns, the peak, the 12 mile, have different gps marks for what part of the area you fish in eg north or sth peak, there are different parts to browns its not only one mark.

Edited by finin

Actually came across it on Bonzle Digital Atlas - intersting site... you can punch in your own coordinates to create a map.. gives you all sorts of info on the particular destination.

The attached pictures dont do it much justice all blown out of proportion

Cheers

post-10991-127426399605_thumb.jpg

post-10991-127426417879_thumb.jpg

Actually came across it on Bonzle Digital Atlas - intersting site... you can punch in your own coordinates to create a map.. gives you all sorts of info on the particular destination.

The attached pictures dont do it much justice all blown out of proportion

Cheers

post-10991-127426399605_thumb.jpg

post-10991-127426417879_thumb.jpg

If you click on pics then you will see the original pic biggrin2.gif

Warnie,

Thats sensational... do you produce those images yourself from gear onboard or is that stuff purchased as software?

Cheers

Secho

Secho, been looking at google have we lol. From what i gather woolnough knoll is part of the ridge system beginning at long reef and extending se Heatons hill is also part of this system as well as many other well known spots. There are greater seamounts out there which rise dramatically from the bed, The Gascoyne is one and a place id love to fish but to organise it would take a good year. Browns, the peak, the 12 mile, have different gps marks for what part of the area you fish in eg north or sth peak, there are different parts to browns its not only one mark.

Many years on did you ever go to Gascoyne, a trip I've been trying to plan too. 555 km offshore is a long way for a trailor boat full of fuel bladders.

Jon

I worked for a few yrs on a longline boat from port stephens..I have fished barcoo/taupo/derwent hunter seamounts and believe me they are eye openers...if you want kingies better than 30kgs..bass grouper that are just huge ..blue eye over 30kg and others too numerous and too big..too far for trailer boats but there are a lot of boats up an down the coast that are quite capable of a weeks run out there..????just a thought

Secho, lol still wanna get there. Hopefully not far off. I have a m8 that wants to fish it commercially. May find out at the end of the month if his new boat arrives. Will be doing the first trip with him so i will have a better idea on things, costs fuel etc.

The main problem is getting a boat capable as the only place to run is Lord Howe or sit it out. Weather window plays a big part as its only fishable certain times of the year. Rickmarlin62 would attest to that and the needs of a Sth Pacific or Kaybee lol.

Besides whoever comes is gunna need big kahunas and not be afraid of mountainous seas. I know of a recent Qld boat that went, a commercial struck bad weather and had all its front windows punched in!

I would love to get out Taupo. I mark it at around 200nm east of port Stephens. So at around a 12kn steam on a mothership type arrangement you could get there in an afternoon and night run of about 16hrs. Would certainly be an experience. But there is certainly nowhere to hide out there.

Edited by fishythings

we use to run to lord howe for respite from weather but commercial boats arnt allowed to make landfall at the island so we just sat in the lee from the wind...taupo has kingies that nudge 45 kgs..there are fish that you will never match anywhere else....I caught broadbill up to 150 kg while drifting near taupo overnight waiting to dropline next day..live squid 80lb braid and sore muscles..i would go there again in a heartbeat..anybody got a big boat and the kahunies to go ???im in pm me PLEASE...RICK