gully27

Broadbill sword fish

22 posts in this topic

Hi I would just like to see if or what anyone knows about chasing these gladiators off sydeny as I am planing on puting in a few nites to see if what we can find this winter if anyone one has any tips or hints or even spots that would help I would be great full thanx gully

I reckon planning a drift across browns mountain with a big whole southern calamari squid about 100ft off the bottom would be a start. use a breakaway style lead weight, and a quality led light in your rig. there are heaps of good articles on rigs and techniques from the usa and NZ.

Also pump plenty of light into the water from you boat to attract, local deep water bait then use them as bait.

Yer that was where we will be starting on this quest will run 4 rods at different depths to cover the water Column

what size boat have you got mate?

We all wait with interest, Broadies of Sydney would be awesome.

Good luck.

Cheers

Paikea

hay mate im a kiwi and have done allot of research on it, as its the big thing over there allows a year round game season

I was in wellington that has commercial broadbill but no one has recreationally caught one (the weather is nasty)

I also have a few good papers to read if you wanted them?

also worth looking at commercial catch statistics in nz most the broadbill do the opposite swing to the marlin, they breed up north in summer and come further south in winter

here is how we tried.

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/daytime-broady-drop_topic88801_post1271556.html?KW=#1271556

thanks

ryan

Interesting stuff they sound like they are as hard as shooting that elusive 30'' sambar stag

I"m keen to have a crack at them as well. I will be fishing off w-gong in 200 to 500fa. If I have any luck I"ll let you know. If any one reading is mad enough to spend all night over the back of the shelf send me a pm. 685 cruise craft twin 115. If the ocean is good browns is only an hour and a half from Bellambi ramp and would have to be the best bet. If your keen for another boat to head out with let me know. Cheers Don

Hi these two are the best two articles I have read on daytime broadbill techniques.
We used a combination of the two ideas based on the 5knots of current in cook strait

The hardest thing is getting the rig in the water tangle free and getting the sinker to both sink and then break off!

http://www.tgfc.co.nz/BW79-DaytimeSwordfishGuaranteed.pdf

http://dolphinelectreel.com/v1/wp-content/images/articles/saltwater-sept-2009.pdf

cheers
rh

EDIT
if you cant get the link to work I can email you the PDF of it as I think they have removed the article from being online

Edited by getsome

They're killing it in tassie at the moment, deep dropping in the daytime. I don't reckon there is many at Browns or there would be encounters during gemmie season.

Maybe stanny or Kiama canyons

I have thought about giving Swordies a crack off Sydney before.

Long liners bring them in off Sydney all the time, so no reason why a rec couldn't get one. I guess I would emulate a long line method which would be 3 -4 rods dropped with squid or slimies between 30 and 100m, late arvo and night or if you were fishing during the day then I would set it much deeper.

I'm sure they would be around Browns at times but I agree with Stevefish if they were around Browns in any real numbers you would have to think someone would have caught one as a by-catch by now considering how many boats fish Browns.

Most long liners set their lines pretty wide off Sydney most of time, at least east of Heatons and up to 100 miles out. So I would probably try Heatons if I was going to give it shot and fish it from late afternoon, all night and into the morning. I think you would also have to put some serious time into it as well. Most long liners off Sydney set thousands of hooks of over miles and miles on trips that can last up to a week and only bring back a few.

The race is on to catch a Swordy off Sydney :)

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

We've had a couple from the surface at night from Narooma but the daytime fishing is best. We've been hooking up on our first drops out of Mallacoota and boats around us are all getting several hookups each day most days.

I would of thought if Browns had plenty of swords more would be getting hooked up deep dropping, my thoughts would be to look for kinks and drop offs around the 500m mark and target them on the bottom through the day. Night time sword fishing is tuff going on most people (even those who don't normally get sick), a rocking boat with no horizon to see can take some getting used too. When you get pesky blue sharks etc swimming all around the boat gear can soon end up in a huge mess.

On the other hand seeing the fish and squid that are attracted to the surface lights is amazing, especially things like flying fish that my daughter likes to scoop up is her net.

Jon

Edited by JonD

Can you help out with rig advice Jon? Mallacoota is a fair hike for me, have you had daytime success further up the coast?

Pretty certain it's been well covered in the last couple of Bluewater magazines, they used some of my daughters underwater shots.

Basically we use braid on game reels with heavy traces around 300 lb. J hooks have been more successful than circles ( unlike marlin fishing) add a couple of deep drop lights and a large squid with a large skirt. We've been using house bricks to get them with a rubber band to break away with a strike once we hit bottom, if the current is running we use the engine to just keep backing up to try and keep the angle deep.

They tend to smash the baits around before hooking up and often foul hook as they slash the bait so quite a few are lost from foul hooking.

At night we've hooked them at the surface over the sea mounts down our way. My plan is to get my daughter into one in our 5 m rib.

Jon

Edited by JonD

That's a great video, some awesome footage congrats. I have started assembling items to have a crack at them. Do you break the weight off straight away or wait till a strike? I have a subscription to the mag mentioned, I have read the articles great stuff. Just thought you might have a personal tip or two to share. Thanks for the reply [emoji106]attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1472636870.723481.jpg

We break them off as soon as the rig hits bottom, just be carefull not to have the break away to strong. almost all our hits have been within the first few minutes of hitting bottom. Two outfits are handy so you can drop one close to the bottom as the other gets reset, all of which takes time when working such depths. There's an attachment that can be used with a 12 volt drill to wind up the gear which saves time.

The boat in the video is my mates who has an obsession with swords, he was even going to take his boat to Tassie for three months of the year. The area at Mallacoota just looks like a slight kink in the contours on navionics, the ground seems pretty featureless but we do pick up the odd blue eye on the ellectric gear.

I've been surprised how simple and basic the technique is, we've had several boats within sight of us hooked up at the same time, though as mentioned earlier quite a few were lost to foul hooking.

The fight can be completely different with each fish, some go crazy while others hardly fight at all.

Jon

doesn't matter how much drag you put on a tiagra they have complete freespool...rick

We've been using tiagra 50's but I'm thinking of selling some of my jigging master gear to get my daughter a talica 25, not that she can't use the heavy gear but a lighter 30 lb outfit would allow her to put more power onto the fish. It was her turn on the next sword which turned out to be a big blue eye.

_MG_5583_zpsvxusobu8.jpg

_MG_5607_zpsrwthcwth.jpg

Be careful with free-spool on the tiagras, you will either need to apply a small amount of drag or burn your thumb trying to stop over-runs.

We tried 450-600m in the daytime on the bottom and around 1500m for our overnighter so far.

Isn't it supposed to be the other way round - I think they come up higher during the night and dive deep during the day?

I went to a talk on Daytime Swords with Richard Abella a while ago so my memory might be hazy

On 8/16/2016 at 0:56 PM, JonD said:

We've had a couple from the surface at night from Narooma but the daytime fishing is best. We've been hooking up on our first drops out of Mallacoota and boats around us are all getting several hookups each day most days.

I would of thought if Browns had plenty of swords more would be getting hooked up deep dropping, my thoughts would be to look for kinks and drop offs around the 500m mark and target them on the bottom through the day. Night time sword fishing is tuff going on most people (even those who don't normally get sick), a rocking boat with no horizon to see can take some getting used too. When you get pesky blue sharks etc swimming all around the boat gear can soon end up in a huge mess.

On the other hand seeing the fish and squid that are attracted to the surface lights is amazing, especially things like flying fish that my daughter likes to scoop up is her net.

Jon

Thanks for the insight Jon, I am looking to get one of these on my jigs... might venture down to Tassie, Narroma or maybe just Kiama for a start. 

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, MV Sunray said:

Swords seem to be back on the scene this last week with tassie and Mallacoota both producing fish.

i fished a canyon wide of the banks yesterday. Had a few drops ranging from 6-800m. Didn't do any good tho. Rig performed well got to 800m quite comfortably. 

On a side note lots of bait stacking up in 80 fathoms for the Marlin fisho's now the current has backed off. Didn't mark any fish tho.

IMG_4609.JPG

Some very big fish yesterday, one looked an easy 300kg. Fish were being hooked over a larger area even with boats that couldn't even sound bottom, they literally stopped the boat after giving up on marlin, dropped the first bait down deep for an instant hook up.

My daughter is next inline for our next trip down.

Edited by JonD