swordfisherman

2015 HAIRTAIL SOCIAL

174 posts in this topic

NEW INFO ABOUT THIS SOCIAL as of 16/6/2015
Our newest sponsor HBA Learning Centres has donated the cash prizes below for the
2015 HAIRTAIL SOCIAL

First prize
for the longest hairtail (from nose to tip of tail) of $500 cash

The second prize will be the second largest hairtail of $125 cash

The third prize will be a mystery size of hairtail that will be decided by FISHRAIDER ADMIN and not revealed until the presentation breakfast onboard the mothership on Sunday morning. Closest capture to this size in mm will win $125 cash

All captures will be measured and validated by 2 people ie: Donna, Stewy or the other sponsor yarraone aka Sean Griffiths (Shadows Trailer Repairs) as all three of us will be onboard the mothership

Any member may only win ONE cash prize

You must be a fishraider member to win a prize

Winners must be present at the presentation to collect prizes if not then the prize is awarded to the runner up and so forth

In the event of a draw, names will be drawn from a hat

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAIRTAIL SOCIAL JULY 17TH TO JULY 19TH 2015
THREE DAY EVENT (Friday noon till Sunday noon)

See full details below

The swordies have hired their houseboat, maybe consider getting a group together and hiring one as well

The Social will be held on the waters of the Hawkesbury River (Cowan Creek)
All attendees must sign in with the mothership that will be moored in Jerusalem Bay before fishing and be registered as a Fishraider with any guests

If you intend to fish this social....please post your attendance here

All safe boating requirements will be adhered to as well as a NSW fishing licence

N.B this social is not a catered event but some coffee, provisions or hot water will be available from time to time onboard the mothership

More details to follow

Just to clarify a few things about this year's Hairtail :

1) Its FREE!!! You MUST register before you start fishing

2) The Mothership will be manned and ready from 1PM ( 1300) on Friday until we finish on Sunday Morning 10am ish

3) If you catch a Hairtail in the wee small hours of the morning, stick it in the esky , and show us in the morning ( we need our beauty sleep as well !)

4) Its going to be cold, very cold, so please carry sufficient dry warm clothing

5) The Mothership can be contacted on CH96 or mobile numbers to be given to you at registration, it will be monitored as long as we are awake

Please try to get your spot early, the usual haunts fill up pretty quickly, and there will be a lot of boats there

IF ANYONE HAS A SPARE SPOT ON THEIR BOAT PLEASE GRAB A NON- BOATER BY PM AND REPORT TO US

ATTENDEES LIST
Stewy and Donna, Lisa and Sean (Mothership)
Scratchie + jnr scratchie and little jnr scratchie
4myson + 1
Stephanb79 + mrbigsmash
Ray Snr
The Sweeney + Team Karma
Bigrod+2

amkr + squishy
Anthonywardle
harold, Jeremy and Mimi
fredflathead
Diamondback +2
Grey Nurse
Crazy Col & son
Tef1on +1
gianniz

sydneyfisher12 + thefisherman6784
in rod we trust
Matt Kenny +1
Jewdreamer +1

borgsta + 3

Joshgraydon95

is it bad that I had to google Hairtail?

They look like an interesting fish!

I'm on as always!!! May not have my boat then, so might need to ride with someone!!!

Cheers scratchie!!!

I'll be in... Will bring my boat down, not sure on the +1 situation right now I'll be down from Friday after work til sun early morning.

+1 requests by PM... Remember after 2 nights the boat will smell, also only enough room for one person to sleep unless you like spooning!

I'm pretty tempted by this, it would be a hell of a lot of fun!

Any land lovers want to pool together for a houseboat maybe...

What do you need to catch these? Would a 3-5kg rod and 10lb braid on an eggbeater setup do the trick?

I'm pretty tempted by this, it would be a hell of a lot of fun!

Any land lovers want to pool together for a houseboat maybe...

What do you need to catch these? Would a 3-5kg rod and 10lb braid on an eggbeater setup do the trick?

Perfect rod and reel for hairtailing

Definetly "IN "guys , looking forward to crossing off Hairtail off my Bucket List !!!! So put me down please , 4myson + 1 .

I'm on as always!!! May not have my boat then, so might need to ride with someone!!!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hey Scratchie , your more than welcomed to join me & my 8 yr old son if you haven't got your boat ready by then . You might have to show us the ropes as I've never fished for Hairtail . Cheers , Sash .....

Definetly "IN "guys , looking forward to crossing off Hairtail off my Bucket List !!!! So put me down please , 4myson + 1 .

me two want to cross it off me list aswell !!!!!!!

I'll bring the trophy , plenty of sleeping room , had a ball last year , room for one more , pm me !

If anyone has a spare spot and is willing to take someone who has never seen a hairtail before, I'd be appreciative and pay in scotch and humiliating entertainment.

Otherwise, if there is enough of us boatless folk, I'd be happy to organise a houseboat for us to chip in on.

Edited by amkr

I've had a chat with old mate "diesel" and we'll be pairing up

I'm a maybe depending on work. If I can make it Amkr you're welcome to join us, although i'm very new to hairtailing. Out of interest has anyone camped at Patonga before? Might be nice to have a place with access to amenities over that weekend.

That is too far away but if you want to camp there is a track into Jerusalem bay

Thanks joep! Love never hairtailed before so we'd both be in with no idea!

Thanks joep! Love never hairtailed before so we'd both be in with no idea!

Get a houseboat

If I can get someone else interested Id be up with a house boat :) preferably someone who has a bit more experience than me :P

That is too far away but if you want to camp there is a track into Jerusalem bay

So does everyone usually drive back to brooklyn for toilet breaks? and slug it out with the showers. I guess there lies the advantage with the houseboat vs regular boat...

So does everyone usually drive back to brooklyn for toilet breaks? and slug it out with the showers. I guess there lies the advantage with the houseboat vs regular boat...

Ok this is really a boat only event as all the places are too far away by road...you need a vessel with a toilet or at least a boat to get to another houseboat for a toilet break.

Showers are only on the houseboats and after a long day fishing in the cold its great and that's why we always get one.

All fish are measured on the mothership and that's the only place to do that

If I can get someone else interested Id be up with a house boat :) preferably someone who has a bit more experience than me :P

You don't need experience at all just get one and they are easy to drive and with contact by mobile everyone can meet up in Jerusalem bay and there are plenty of people who will help.

After you get the houseboat in position you don't need to move it and there will be plenty of boats to fish from when you get there.

OK here are some houseboats

http://www.ripples.com.au/islander.php for example this one would be perfect for 4 blokes at $175 each for Fri to Sun (cost $700). Add some bucks each for food and bait and away you go.

http://www.ripples.com.au/boats.php check all the vessels here or on this link http://www.holidaysafloat.com.au/OurVessels.html

They are both the same company. If you get a lot of guys then get a bigger boat!

It is bitterly cold sitting out there all night in a small boat but most fishos love it and consider it a right of passage :). We have the big houseboat (mothership) and this is where everyone comes to register and bring hairtail in to be measured.

We also have the big breakkie on the Sunday morning on the top deck and prize presentations before everyone goes home.

You can get a tender or hire one with a motor as well so you can go from your houseboat or bring your own along. You can come to the mothership and get help with rigs and methods and how to catch hairtail.

Something to think about fellas - grab a group and get a houseboat :)