swordfisherman

2015 HAIRTAIL SOCIAL

174 posts in this topic

I reckon I'd be alright at driving it, just the stopping and catching fish that's the issue!

Houseboat sounds like the way to go though

I reckon I'd be alright at driving it, just the stopping and catching fish that's the issue!

Houseboat sounds like the way to go though

Yes you would be fine and they give you a briefing beforehand.

You do not drive the houseboat around actually. Once you reach a destination you moor there and you use the tender to go off fishing or go in someone else's small boat. You are not allowed to drive the houseboat after dark at all. We will get a mooring on Friday and stay there till Sunday :)

Oh right :)

Well thats not too bad I guess, Can you drive the tenders at night?

Sorry for all the ridiculous questions, I've got limited fishing experience, let alone boating experience!

I'm pretty keen to give it a crack - I've been checking out the 2+2 houseboat, its $400 for the trip, split between 2 isn't too bad for a weekend away. Just need a second person to split the costs.

Edit:

Found someone to look after my little dog for the weekend, so the missus is keen on coming now! I also called up a friend of mine who is very keen - just needs to check the dates and see if he's free. Looks like im going hairtailling :D

If anyone needs a spot, we can upsize to a 4 person houseboat.

Edited by amkr

Oh right :)

Well thats not too bad I guess, Can you drive the tenders at night?

Sorry for all the ridiculous questions, I've got limited fishing experience, let alone boating experience!

I'm pretty keen to give it a crack - I've been checking out the 2+2 houseboat, its $400 for the trip, split between 2 isn't too bad for a weekend away. Just need a second person to split the costs.

Edit:

Found someone to look after my little dog for the weekend, so the missus is keen on coming now! I also called up a friend of mine who is very keen - just needs to check the dates and see if he's free. Looks like im going hairtailling :D

If anyone needs a spot, we can upsize to a 4 person houseboat.

As I said before there will be plenty of spots available to fish for hairtail and I will run through all the ways to catch them before we start.

The tender has no nav lights so no travelling at night unless between houseboats within a 50 metre radius in an emergency with a torch as an all round light.

There are NO STUPID QUESTIONS IF YOU DONT ASK YOU WILL NEVER KNOW

You can anchor your boat right where the hairatil are and fish off your houseboat ...SIMPLE !!!

Awesome!

Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

I've spent a few too many work hours googling these things, Looks like I've found an excuse to buy another rod and some more tackle :yahoo:

I've read the guide on fishraider a few times to try and get my head around it :)

From what I've read; 3 x 2/0 or 3 x 3/0 ganged pilchard with a light wire trace (20lb?), run a huge swivel on it to give you something to hang onto when you're pulling it in and whacking it over the head, then just 10-20lb braid or mono mainline :)

I do like the idea of sitting on a houseboat, cooking my by-catches and having a few warm scotches waiting for the fish to show up :sun:

Awesome!

Thanks for that, I appreciate it.

I've spent a few too many work hours googling these things, Looks like I've found an excuse to buy another rod and some more tackle :yahoo:

I've read the guide on fishraider a few times to try and get my head around it :)

From what I've read; 3 x 2/0 or 3 x 3/0 ganged pilchard with a light wire trace (20lb?), run a huge swivel on it to give you something to hang onto when you're pulling it in and whacking it over the head, then just 10-20lb braid or mono mainline :)

I do like the idea of sitting on a houseboat, cooking my by-catches and having a few warm scotches waiting for the fish to show up :sun:

10lb braid is plenty and a big pair of pliers

10lb braid is plenty and a big pair of pliers

Do you use a sinker aswell ???

Do you use a sinker aswell ???

you can but there is not a lot of current

Team Karma will be there, would not miss this one ,gotta love those toothy critters. Cheers Laurie

Team Karma will be there, would not miss this one ,gotta love those toothy critters. Cheers Laurie

It would not be a Hairtail social without you Laurie ;)

I think I'll be a starter, although i'll have to run off for a bit and play football

cheers

Hi

i have missed it the last 2 years please sign me up

Bigrod + 2

Hi

i have missed it the last 2 years please sign me up

Bigrod + 2

Welcome aboard :biggrinthumb:

wonder if its going to be to cold for the Kayak

My mate and I would love to join in if and only if we can solve the problem of heating!

We were part of this awesome social when it first began but "FREEZER" condition killed us so we ask any good heating solution for 6 man boat 4.5m??? prob 2-3 people.

need recommendation. we r going to refuel during the day if needed.

thanks in advance as I would love to catch another hairtail and reports seems they are already here :)

I need a bed to sleep in... Bringing my boat but need a place to kip, anyone have room spare? Will be arriving Friday night about 7pm from work so will drag the boat strait up. PM me if you have room - also I'm 6'6" so I need a decent sized bed :)

We will most likely have a single bed space on the houseboat we grab.

We are in again (3).

Stewie/Donna I am travelling until next Thursday, if you could drop me an email on that day we can arrange a prize which will be sponsored by our company.

We've got houseboat booked in

me + mrs me.

Count me in please +2. Noel

Still plenty of time to get yourself organised with a houseboat or bring your own boat.

If anyone is not sure what and where ? just pop me a PM and I will help you out.

Regards Stewy

Attn Scratchie, I have put an extra can of fuel on board for when you run low this year!

Look forward to seeing you there.