Cheyne_r

New Bluefin Bag limits

22 posts in this topic

So after chasing the fish down at Bermi over the weekend (with no luck) we were informed by fisheries officers on both days, that the limit is now 1 per person in possession.

This means if you keep a bluefin, and have fillets in the freezer etc, you cannot keep another one. Apparently they are going to be cracking down on this, so just a heads up for those chasing them.

Thanks buddy for the heads up

Timely reminder there. Not very well publicised...in fact virtually not at all.

yeah they should contact of the administrators of this and other forums, so they can publicize it

I got no probs with 1 per person, its a good thing, one of the fish we got last year was split between 4 people and I still ended up throwing some out because it went bad in the freezer, there was just too much of it

I'd rather leave them in the water to breed for next seasons stock, helps every season be a good season

Edited by Scent Blazer Lures

Yeah we knew nothing of it Untill we were at the ramp on the way out

Timely reminder there. Not very well publicised...in fact virtually not at all.

You'd think your $35 a year licence could buy a couple of stamps or even an email update.

Is it a bluefin limit or a tuna limit? Over 1m??

Edited by stevefish

Right I'm going to ask the obvious question:

The Southern Bluefin Tuna is now an endangered species... So why hasn't the keep limit been brought to 0?

I understand it's a really popular thing to do, go out and catch tuna... But if they are endangered then cut the limit completely until the species is deemed safe?

The official worldwide commercial catch is over ten thousand tonnes, I doubt may amateur fishos will support a zero limit whist this is the case .As long as species seems to be in recovery I guess keep the limits the way they are, you can make the same argument for bream and jewfish as well. Anyway lets hope a boats are happy with one fish,that's plenty of meat for a group of fisherman.

If you go back a while- maybe 2006, bluefin were unheard of in NSW, particularly in central zone. There were close to zero reports of bluefin in NSW from 1980? Up until this time. Their arrival was met with surprise and each year current permitting the run has become stronger. The fish ARE there it's just a matter of range.

Reasons given for their resurgence generally revolve around the dramatic reduction in Japanese effort.

Possession of 1 is fair enough.

The stock won't collapse until well after rec anglers have given up, like kings in the 90s. Once some effective management is in place it all gets sorted out.

If you go back a while- maybe 2006, bluefin were unheard of in NSW, particularly in central zone. There were close to zero reports of bluefin in NSW from 1980? Up until this time. Their arrival was met with surprise and each year current permitting the run has become stronger. The fish ARE there it's just a matter of range.

Reasons given for their resurgence generally revolve around the dramatic reduction in Japanese effort.

Possession of 1 is fair enough.

The stock won't collapse until well after rec anglers have given up, like kings in the 90s. Once some effective management is in place it all gets sorted out.

yeah that's right they almost disappeared and only started coming back about 10 years ago, if I boat a fish from now on I am gonna swap the lures out to lures with circle hooks, so if get another fish i can just cut if off

they are pretty robust fish, i caught a one fin with a circle hook in it from a longliner and it was in good nick

Yeah I believe that 1 per person in possession is fair, but they should be reducing the commercial quotas if they really want to make a difference to the fish stocks.

And this is just for southern bluefin, all other tuna remain the same

nothing is posted on the fisheries site. would like to know on what grounds this can be prosecuted without anything (law/rule amendment) in writing? ive seen nothing of 1 per person in possession for this fish, except this thread

Edited by kulch

nothing is posted on the fisheries site. would like to know on what grounds this can be prosecuted without anything (law/rule amendment) in writing? ive seen nothing of 1 per person in possession for this fish, except this thread

I agree, and we haven't been able to find anything stating it in writing, this is just what we were told by several different fisheries officers, as well as the guys at berm bait and tackle.

This states 1 per person per day. Not the 1 per person in possession we were informed the new limit is.

agreed - nothing about possession in that PDF from DECEMBER 2014

then look here - http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/regulations/sw/sw-bag-and-size

nothing about possession either, yet has them for Australian bass and other fish.

there is also NOTHING in the recent media releases. if this is a new law/amendment it wouldn't be in a PDF from 2014 and would be in the latest news from this link

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/news/all

Edited by kulch

1 per person one in possession......work it out take one and be happy

One per boat would be fine by me👍

1 per person one in possession......work it out take one and be happy

I've got no problem with it if that is the new bag limit. What I have a problem with is fisheries officers out there actively trying to enforce it when it hasn't been publicised anywhere.

Right I'm going to ask the obvious question:

The Southern Bluefin Tuna is now an endangered species... So why hasn't the keep limit been brought to 0?

I understand it's a really popular thing to do, go out and catch tuna... But if they are endangered then cut the limit completely until the species is deemed safe?

There wouldn't be much point having a zero bag limit while there is still a commercial fishery for them. Regarding the latter the fishery would be closed if they were just found in Australian waters. But given that they are found and fished for in international and foreign waters it was decided that we should maintain a quota and so have a say in the management of the fishery and support overall quota reductions.

How are they going to police it if you are on your way home from a week fishing trip at Bermi & you have Eskys full of fish fillets.

How will they know how many fish you have?