lammo

Choosing the Right car for future

Hello ,

Don't ever really post at all, but really do need help and experience, trying to find a suitable car.

Help is really appreciated if you could give me some insight on what vehicle you bought to tow your boats.

Just need a car/suv/4x4 to have the following features available

- preferably 5 seats

- 4x4 / awd

- sunroof or moonroof

- 5 star ancap rating

- rear/front parking sensor optional reverse camera

- and the servicing interval at 12 months, not 6 months

- Able to tow a boat thats roughly 5m-6m long weighing around 1250kg - 1500kg

- Want a car that's not just "capable of towing, but more in line of comfortably towing"

Vehicles i've looked at so far

- pajero sports my16 , really decent car, looks nice, just missing sunroof option around 54k tows 3100kg braked

- isuzu mu-x LS-T , lacks so much features for the missus to enjoy, heard really good stuff about engine reliability tho and really cheap around 45k 3000kg braked

- outback 3.6R premium, has everything we want. 1800kg braked tow, quoted 52.5k 6months service interval =(

all the vehicles price was with features like mats, weathershield, towbar and tint

Any advice or opinions are very very appreciated thanks

ps. yeah sorry no hyundai's or kia , missus still got the misconception of korean badged cars being easy to steal/BAD (exel experience)

first thing, what Boat are you talking about? My 6m aluminium boat is rather light at 1.8 tonnes on the trailer! Surely if you want all that comfort in the car you will be wanting some in the boat. towing capacity is best to be well above the weight of the boat.

I do agree with Swordie the Discovery is an awesome car Ive had a thing about them for years I am sure they run in at about 100K I tried to confirm that on car sales but nothing listed after 04 not sure what goes there!

reverse sensors / Camera sunroof even leather trim can be added to any vehicle theres a shop here in Penrith that does all that most of there work being on new cars before delivery.

I would look at the Landcruiser Prado & the Pajero . The M.U.X I havent looked at but your right about the reputation on there motor. the subaru I like but wouldn't consider them a towing vehicle they are rather light, more of a performance vehicle I think you would be disappointed if you had to tow any distance.

If your wife likes the Pajero make her happy get the dealer to ad a free sunroof if he doesn't do it for free go to another dealer.

Most boats at 6m will be closer to 2T than 1.5T and the Subaru is only rated to 1.8T. It's 3.6L petrol engine produces most of it's power at high revs which makes it very thirsty when towing and more of an effort to drive (eg maintaining speed up hills). On top of that Subaru put a 80 km speed limit for towing.

I think the Pajero might be the pick of the ones you mentioned. You should be aware though you might have trouble opening the tail gate with a trailer attached. There are lift kits for the spare available or some people have put a low profile hitch on the trailer.

PS: Mods, I hope having the temerity to post something factual is not 'troublemaking'

Most boats at 6m will be closer to 2T than 1.5T and the Subaru is only rated to 1.8T. It's 3.6L petrol engine produces most of it's power at high revs which makes it very thirsty when towing and more of an effort to drive (eg maintaining speed up hills). On top of that Subaru put a 80 km speed limit for towing.

I think the Pajero might be the pick of the ones you mentioned. You should be aware though you might have trouble opening the tail gate with a trailer attached. There are lift kits for the spare available or some people have put a low profile hitch on the trailer.

PS: Mods, I hope having the temerity to post something factual is not 'troublemaking'

:offtopic: Billfisher I am getting very tired of seeing "at the risk of being seen as a troublemaker" attached to everything you post

Mods and Admin here just want a friendly and happy place to share info and experiences.

My advice to you is that if you think any post you are about to add is even remotely inciting trouble then do not post it. :adminpower:

:gathering: Back to the poster's query - we have the Discovery now and had a Pajero Exceed before that. That was a great vehicle and we only traded it because we were thinking of buying and towing a very large caravan. From a passenger and women's point of view both cars are very safe and have all the creature comforts.

Thankyou for the response so far.

first thing, what Boat are you talking about? My 6m aluminium boat is rather light at 1.8 tonnes on the trailer! Surely if you want all that comfort in the car you will be wanting some in the boat. towing capacity is best to be well above the weight of the boat.

No idea yet. All up i think i have roughly 90k budget for the car + boat. Don't really want to go overboard. I'll probably need help in the future.

Get a Land Rover Discovery and you wont need anything else

I would love to have one, but that price is way over my budget, prefer anything lower than 60k.

Cheers for the info, i really had no clue at all about towing speeds and stuff (never towed anything before, i'm a complete novice).

If your wife likes the Pajero make her happy get the dealer to ad a free sunroof if he doesn't do it for free go to another dealer.

For some reason the pajero sports doesn't even have a option to put a sunroof on like most cars in it's category. Fortuna, mu-x, Ford Everest, Holden Colorado 7. It's a new class of 4x4. (I don't want a 4x4 ute but want a car based on a 4x4 ute) category.

ps. yeah sorry no hyundai's or kia , missus still got the misconception of korean badged cars being easy to steal/BAD (exel experience)

The Kia Sorento has just won the Carsguide car of the year. And it won Drive car of the year a few years back. They're not a bad car at all, actually probably one of the best in class. And Kia don't offer a 7 year warranty if they're not willing to produce a decent product.

It is interesting how there's is a misconception that Kia and Hyundai are unreliable cars. Testament to their reliability is just trying to count the number of Excels on the road! They were cheap and nasty but they just never stop running... I had one and was always surprised by how strong the engine was. It handled like rubbish and I wouldn't have liked to be in an accident with it. But it was a budget car much cheaper than the other options, and yet they appear to have outlasted the competition.

Certainly don't discount the Korean brands because you heard they were poor quality. The Japanese brands were labeled as such once too.

On another note, have you looked at the Jeep Grande Cherokee? They're not a bad car (I actually don't think there's such a thing as a "bad" car now, except maybe some Chinese offerings, but give them time and they'll be fine too). Also I quite like the VW Touraeg. VW has bad press at the moment but they make a good car and might be more willing to deal in this climate.

Edited by abecedarian

The Kia Sorento has just won the Carsguide car of the year. And it won Drive car of the year a few years back. They're not a bad car at all, actually probably one of the best in class. And Kia don't offer a 7 year warranty if they're not willing to produce a decent product.

Yeps i told her all that, wanted my missus to look at the santa FE, wouldn't even look. Something just leaves a bad impression.

On another note, have you looked at the Jeep Grande Cherokee? They're not a bad car (I actually don't think there's such a thing as a "bad" car now, except maybe some Chinese offerings, but give them time and they'll be fine too). Also I quite like the VW Touraeg. VW has bad press at the moment but they make a good car and might be more willing to deal in this climate.

Yeah i had a peek at the Grande Cherokee, looks great. Just read some horror stories about them servicing prices. And the Touraeg starts at 80k,. Thanks tho for the help, might keep looking, and see if there's any other deals out there

I tow a 5m Quintrex with a 2012 Toyota Aurion and am extremely happy. The v6 has all the oomph I need and also pulls very well from low revs. I tow 5 hrs south and north of Sydney a few times a year and love the performance.The ZR6 (my model) is very well equipped and does have a moonroof option.

It is FWD which is fine on most ramps (and I think an advantage over RWD on slippery ramps without too much slope), but not a patch on AWD/4WD if your are pulling something heavy on steep ramps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mate have a look at the new Nissan Pathfinder

I just bought one and I love it

Drives like a car and got heaps of power

Nissan currently have the 1% finance deal atm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We also just bought Nissan Pathfinder ST-L it's a 2wd (FwD), yet to tow with it but it has plenty of power and drives and the extra seats are big enough for a average sized adult to sit comfortably.

It doesn't met all your requirements, but 2nd hand Land cruiser turbo diesel 100 series or 200 if you want to part with more cash. Great tow vehicles

Oh nice, might have a look at the pathfinder. Cheers everyone for suggestions!

Jeep Grand Cherokee. No dont bother.

Ford ranger, dont bother.

Mitz Pajero has a sunroof option. Top of the range models though. Personally don't like the wood grain.

Prado, same. Sunroof on top pf the range. Some with wood grain some wothout. Very nice car, expensive.

Izuzu great car. Neighbour has one. Don't think there is a sunroof option.

New Nissan Navara has a sunroof, nice inside, will tow what you need. Cheaper than above two options.

I have a prado. Been through a few tow cars. Prado is great except i cant open the rear door when trailer is on. Really a pain for me. Pajero would be the same thing.

Decide where you need to spend more. $90k package is great if you can divide it well. I did the same.

The servicing interval time might be a bot tricky if you go Diesel.

$55k boat - Seafarer Victory 6

$28k car - Toyota Prado 2008 Diesel

Hey mate i jusy bought a brand new triton common rail turbo diesel. Things hammer and magical at towing. Fantastic fuel efficiency especially when towing. You dont have the bother of normal 4wds where ylu cant open the rear door when trailer is attacjed which is a huge nuscence cause thays where alot of the gear goes. Good luck witb it and keep us all updated.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

my two cents worth. I have a polycraft 4.55 and I bought a 2014 honda CRV Diesel Manual. It has a towing capacity of 2000kg. You can open the rear door when the bot is on.

Cheers

Deek

Ok quick update.

Been pretty weird experience looking for a future family car.(To tow a boat so i can fish, missus thinks it's to start a family)

Went to see heaps of different car, and did a lot of research online.

Went to have a look at the pathfinder, pretty decent, looks ok, have heaps of features and for a very good value. Went online and all i saw with usual problems on it are, people having CVT issues.

Don't want headaches later down the line, so i skipped it.

Scratched the Pajero sports(challenger replacement, not a real Pajero just the name) because the back was butt ugly, and being newly released the dealer didn't give any real decent discount.

Same as for the Isuzu Mu-X didn't have much features at all, but great pulling power, truck reliability and great price.

So now it's toyota, missus really likes the prado, loves the idea on using it to go camping and travelling around australia. Problem is she wants alot of options and once all the boxes are ticked and done it reaches close to 75k. Out of the question.

So we both agreed on, maybe trying to get a Toyota Fortuner (based off the Hilux). Been to 3 dealers so far, their methods of telling me this is a "today only deal" is boring me abit, since they always called back the next day.

So far the price on the Toyota Fortuner Crusade(top tier class) , with premium paint, genuine toyota tow bar, matt black 18" wheels , weathershields, extended warranty,genuine matts and full tank of diesel, front side tint is currently sitting at 63.5k, just waiting to see if we can try and get it to 61k before we sign anything. (RRP with all options was 69.8k)

Cheers for all the help so far. Hope i can pull this off before the new year.

ps. can't get a ute since missus, thinks its for "family" she already questioned me about the necessity for a towbar. :mfr_lol:

but the fortuner is based off the hilux with the same diesel engine from the prado and can pull 3000kg so i'm pretty ok with it.

Edited by lammo

Lammo, the best way to deal with a car salesman is the following:

1. Know what you want

2. How much you want to pay

3. Tell him if he pulls any sales bullshit on you that your outta there!

Stick to those three rules and you'll get what you want.

Cheers scratchie!!!

P.s you can't go wrong with a Toyota!

Talk cash price and then throw in the trade in. Watch them squirm when you tell them the trade in is not good enough as you take your keys and get up to walk away. All of a sudden you get a number of extras thrown in and more for the trade.

Fully agree with Scrathie's 3 points raised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lammo, the best way to deal with a car salesman is the following:

1. Know what you want

2. How much you want to pay

3. Tell him if he pulls any sales bullshit on you that your outta there!

Stick to those three rules and you'll get what you want.

Cheers scratchie!!!

P.s you can't go wrong with a Toyota!

Yes that is what I do too and it's better that way. You tell him $61k or no deal and leave it - he will go talk to his manager...blah blah blah... come back with another price. Just walk out.

Also if you go with the Prado, what options do you want? I think I rather go for a Prado GXL than the new Fortuner. YOu should be able to get a new Prado GXL for around $59k at least!

Another thing I heard, if you go on the last day of the year, try and grab a bargain then. From what I have read it works because they have to meet their sales targets, end of year etc.

Ok quick update.

Been pretty weird experience looking for a future family car.(To tow a boat so i can fish, missus thinks it's to start a family)

Went to see heaps of different car, and did a lot of research online.

Went to have a look at the pathfinder, pretty decent, looks ok, have heaps of features and for a very good value. Went online and all i saw with usual problems on it are, people having CVT issues.

Don't want headaches later down the line, so i skipped it.

Scratched the Pajero sports(challenger replacement, not a real Pajero just the name) because the back was butt ugly, and being newly released the dealer didn't give any real decent discount.

Same as for the Isuzu Mu-X didn't have much features at all, but great pulling power, truck reliability and great price.

So now it's toyota, missus really likes the prado, loves the idea on using it to go camping and travelling around australia. Problem is she wants alot of options and once all the boxes are ticked and done it reaches close to 75k. Out of the question.

So we both agreed on, maybe trying to get a Toyota Fortuner (based off the Hilux). Been to 3 dealers so far, their methods of telling me this is a "today only deal" is boring me abit, since they always called back the next day.

So far the price on the Toyota Fortuner Crusade(top tier class) , with premium paint, genuine toyota tow bar, matt black 18" wheels , weathershields, extended warranty,genuine matts and full tank of diesel, front side tint is currently sitting at 63.5k, just waiting to see if we can try and get it to 61k before we sign anything. (RRP with all options was 69.8k)

ps. can't get a ute since missus, thinks its for "family" she already questioned me about the necessity for a towbar. :mfr_lol:

but the fortuner is based off the hilux with the same diesel engine from the prado and can pull 3000kg so i'm pretty ok with it.

I've just picked up a new Hilux SR5 on Tuesday! Basically the same thing as the Fortuner.... I cant really give you too much feedback as i've only driven it 3x times! lol.

As for the the dealer, I'd suggest leaving it for a week as they seem to be much more flexible towards the end of month... Plus look at getting some accessories aftermarket (as it will be heaps cheaper!)

Good luck!

As LocoD said, what options do you (she) want on the Prado. The GXL has the safety gear and a reasonable level of standard equipment including rear air cond.

Toyota did a Prado face lift a few months back going from the 3L to the new 2.8L diesel. Pre face lift it wasn't hard to get a GXL diesel in auto in the $59-60K range as the others have said. Can't imagine the price has risen that much.

I have a 150 series Prado GXL. I originally looked at Pajero thinking the Prado was a lot dearer. But after finding the right dealer, I found the Prado wasn't as dear as I thought.

Have towed my 1700kg rig up to Brisbane a few times and it does it with ease. About 15.5-16.5L/100km with 1700kg on the back. With the standard 150L tank you can just do it on one tank without refueling.

Cheers

Rod

Both our cars were second hand when we got them.

Mine is a 2000 3.0 TDI prado manual with 450K on the clock.

Doesn't look like dying anytime soon. I get aboit 11km/l and it has two tanks

giving me a range of about 1400km. Tows my boat and caravan with no issues.

Its no race car, so when I have to accelerate quickly, it doesn't.

My wifes car is a Delica 2.8 diesel auto. 2wd, for day to day and can do 4wd

when you need it. Being the van style, its great when you camp. You can just fold

up the seats and you have a bed. It tows well too. I think it is a bit more thirsty than

mine. The delica is basically a pajero with a van on top. Its an 8 seater and all 8 seats

are more usable than my Prado.

If you find a prado and a pajero for the same price, the pajero will have a heap of extras

already and the prado won't have anything!

don't know if this helps, but I prefer the Prado, even though the delica is a nice car

I have had a few tow cars.

Holden commodore wagon

Mitsubishi challenger

Nissan pathfinder

Toyota prado

Prado was definitely the best.