swordfisherman

HBA Learning Centres HAIRTAIL SOCIAL 2016 ...its ON

153 posts in this topic

I'm confused as to the deal with mooring house boats.

Vos stayed up here a couple of months back and said the anchors are cr4p.

Is this gonna be a case of all finding separate public moorings

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

First in, best dressed with public mooring. But you can anchor wherever you want. Not much current or tidal flow in JB to affect you and it's also fairly wind protected.

Plenty of public moorings around too

Count me in, this is a great weekend.

Edited by swordfisherman
ADDED

I'm confused as to the deal with mooring house boats.

Vos stayed up here a couple of months back and said the anchors are cr4p.

Is this gonna be a case of all finding separate public moorings

You will find the anchors are fine, it's quite likely the people on the houseboats; they don't necessarily know what to do. The things we have seen over the years with folk that rent them would fill a book. In little shark rock bay I have actually watched a group cast off from the mooring only to find the outboards wouldn't start. I pulled that boat off the rocks with my dinghy only to have them nearly run over the top of me.

You will be fine in there. Actually where the moorings are In Jerusalem I have never seen anyone catch a Hariy. We have in Waratah Bay many times.

Does anyone know if there is a place shore side to park a caravan for the night?

Bear

Nowhere close by, it's a bit of a boat trip to get to anywhere accessible.

Does anyone know if there is a place shore side to park a caravan for the night?

Bear

Hi Bear,

You can get a caravan down to Patonga on the creek however it is still a fair boat ride to where the hairtail grounds are located.

Not sure if you have a boat however there is a boat ramp on the beach side and you can keep your boat on the creek side. Pretty sure you can only get out of the creek at high tide however others may know more.

Clinton

Didn't they put an outboard on a caravan in top gear?

Seriously you won't find a place to put your van close by if you are land based.

Rent a houseboat.

So for the first time in a long long time, I'm not working that weekend!!

So I'll try to be there however I'm boat less :(

If any raiders have a spare spot that would be amazing.

I'd even split first prize when I get it :P

Happy to share costs!!

I live close by as well :)

So it looks like there are nearly 50 people at the Hairtail weekend. We are really looking forward to it. Hope everyone gets to catch at least one of the little lovelies.

So it looks like there are nearly 50 people at the Hairtail weekend. We are really looking forward to it. Hope everyone gets to catch at least one of the little lovelies.

This is now huge Harold and thanks to you and your continuing sponsoring of this event it is now the go to social :clapping:

With voting on the saturday I suspect it may put some members off, OR the ramps are going to be very busy on Saturday with people coming and going.

I might vote first and than do a leasurely trip up to the bay during Saturday and possibly see IF I can withstand the cold on Saturday night.

What is the go with meetings etc, presentations and all that stuff, do we all come and anchor off the mother boat ?

What's the proceedure ?.

Frank

Good question Frank.

I ALWAYS do an "away" vote anyway. Go to the nearest office and just tell them you are offshore and unable. You can then vote in peace and comfort prior.

On Friday we arrive and moor in the spot. The mothership stays there for the entire event. Members wander in either on Fri or Sat and fishing starts on Friday.

Members come to the mothership to register for the event. Go off and find hairtail and bring them back to us for measuring and validating by our crew. This year DPI will be researching onsite too.

On Sunday morning we put on a breakfast and give out prizes.

Check out the gallery for pics of the last event. Also read the first post in this thread and the posts from past years.

I will be sending a Participant info sheet just before the event also.

It is going to be a big event as usual.

We also always vote absentee. It avoids all the crowds and frees up the weekend to catch Hairtail.

Actually after you experience voting without the crowds you will never go back to lining up on the Saturday morning.

We also always vote absentee. It avoids all the crowds and frees up the weekend to catch Hairtail.

Actually after you experience voting without the crowds you will never go back to lining up on the Saturday morning.

Agreed Harold - I have not done on polling day for many years

So where, in people's opinion, is the most secure boat ramp parking for the weekend? I'm heading down from Lake Mac and meeting the rest of the team on the house boat. I'm happy to launch a bit further away if that helps.

Edited by NaClH2OK9

So where, in people's opinion, is the most secure boat ramp parking for the weekend? I'm heading down from Lake Mac and meeting the rest of the team on the house boat. I'm happy to launch a bit further away if that helps.

launch at mooney mooney and the one drive the boat over to the houseboat and one of the others drive the car and trailer to the houseboat joint

launch at mooney mooney and the one drive the boat over to the houseboat and one of the others drive the car and trailer to the houseboat joint

Thanks Stew.

For the rest of us with the parsley bay ramp closure, I would be heading to apple tree bay. It is a national park so it will cost you to leave your vechile there but it's a safer alternative than mooney mooney! It's also closer to Jerusalem bay!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Just bear in mind that the houseboat places only allow 'one vehicle' parking for most of the houseboats.

So up until this morning I had thought I was attending in my Stessl, but turns out the 1st is my 4 year anniversary with the :wife: .

I'll see what I can do for the 2nd and/or 3rd, but it isn't looking promising :chair::( I was really looking forward to catching my first Hairy this year!!

So for the first time in a long long time, I'm not working that weekend!!

So I'll try to be there however I'm boat less :(

If any raiders have a spare spot that would be amazing.

I'd even split first prize when I get it :P

Happy to share costs!!

I live close by as well :)

PM sent