Greyfox

What herbs do you use with fish

11 posts in this topic

What herbs do we all use when cooking fish.

My favourite go to herb for fish is Corinader, I use this with whole fish (BBQ, baked, steamed) in the stomach cavity , just fill it up with this wonder herb add a squeese of lime and that is it.

When BBQing fish I sometimes cut the skin with 3 - 4 knife cuts thru the skin and add common mint to these cuts

Corinader has such a fresh taste, it is also good with a sweet chillie sauce.

When I cook fillets I sometimes use thyme sparingly as it can have a strong flavour.

I grow my own herbs so they are always and close by, I have tried pineapple sage with baked fish but was not impressed by this combination.

Whole fish,

Ginger in the skin slits.

Coriander and Lemon grass in the cavity.

Knob of butter, dash of Soy, good squeeze of lemon.

Wrap it up in buttered foil.

Don't forget good old garlic, probably not really a herb but goes with everything & dill goes particularly well with fish

Not big on Cajun spices, but Dill is good, have some growing which the chooks love , will have to use more of this

I'm too tight to buy fresh herbs and too lazy to grow them either. The Italian dried mixed herbs in a flour mix for a batter works a treat I reckon.

Not really a herb but I normally use lemons and always use the fine shredder to grate lemon zest. Great for kids as they get the lemon flavour without the sour flavour.

Hi Allan

I did a course about 5 years ago with Ian 'Herbie' Hemphill. He sells the herbies spice brand you may have seen. If you're into herbs and you haven't checked out his site already I recommend you have a look.

Www.herbies.com.au

He no longer runs the spice appreciation courses but you can buy on DVD. He introduced my wife and I to some amazing herbs and spices, like panch phora, lemon myrtle and juniper berries.

Saffron he gave a great tip to tell if it's fake or not (which most of it in supermarkets is). Put a small amount in a glass of water, the fake stuff is made of gelatine and will begin to dissolve and turn a yellow colour. The real stuff turns the water pink.

Green cardamon is an amazing fresh basil substitute ground (smells and tastes similiar and a lot more cost effective).

Hope this helps,

Luke

Hi Allan

I did a course about 5 years ago with Ian 'Herbie' Hemphill. He sells the herbies spice brand you may have seen. If you're into herbs and you haven't checked out his site already I recommend you have a look.

Www.herbies.com.au

He no longer runs the spice appreciation courses but you can buy on DVD. He introduced my wife and I to some amazing herbs and spices, like panch phora, lemon myrtle and juniper berries.

Saffron he gave a great tip to tell if it's fake or not (which most of it in supermarkets is). Put a small amount in a glass of water, the fake stuff is made of gelatine and will begin to dissolve and turn a yellow colour. The real stuff turns the water pink.

Green cardamon is an amazing fresh basil substitute ground (smells and tastes similiar and a lot more cost effective).

Hope this helps,

Luke[/quote

Thanks mate , will have a look, yeah I have grown herbs ever since I was knee high to a grass hopper, I have chooks too and they love grazing on the herbs.

Depends on how I cook it. Steamed in a banana leaf it goes great with coriander and Thai basil (very different to Italian basil) with a dressing I make using fish sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar, palm sugar, chilli and garlic.

for stronger tasting fish like blackfish I like to cook them with a spice paste I make called Harissa, which is Moroccan, and made up of dried chillies, fresh coriander, coriander seed, garlic, lemon, roast capsicum, and rosewater. I'm a qualified chef and have an addiction to cooking seafood. Feel free to ask for any recipes/tips. 

Cheers

11 hours ago, Big Yella said:

Depends on how I cook it. Steamed in a banana leaf it goes great with coriander and Thai basil (very different to Italian basil) with a dressing I make using fish sauce, lime juice, rice vinegar, palm sugar, chilli and garlic.

for stronger tasting fish like blackfish I like to cook them with a spice paste I make called Harissa, which is Moroccan, and made up of dried chillies, fresh coriander, coriander seed, garlic, lemon, roast capsicum, and rosewater. I'm a qualified chef and have an addiction to cooking seafood. Feel free to ask for any recipes/tips. 

Cheers

Great to hear. By all means feel free to share your recipes in this section I bet you have some great ones. Even just the Harissa paste recipe would be good to know.

2 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Great to hear. By all means feel free to share your recipes in this section I bet you have some great ones. Even just the Harissa paste recipe would be good to know.

Awesome mate, I'll start posting recipes and photos as soon as I have the time.