The President

Snagged bottom at Browns.

11 posts in this topic

Fished Browns last weekend for about six snags that resulted in lost sinkers. Fished there again today and encountered even more snags. Just about every drop both rods would snag. Lost about ten sinkers today. Was able to hit bottom easy, varied from 420 - 380m, drop was virtually straight up and down so didn't have much excess line out. Tried different drift lines to avoid same snags. Have fished Browns for many years but haven't experienced so many snags as today. Anybody else have similar experience? I was thinking today - how many tones of steel and lead must be lost down there.

Cheers,

Probably enough lead to build a "Collins class submarine" :)

With the blue eye, how far off the bottom do they swim or congregate upto. Would you get them say 15-20m off the bottom. I've pretty much fished the bottom 5m and get them there. If they are also found a little higher up off the bottom then it would make sense to fish 10m off the bottom to avoids snags.

As Stewy said always wind up 10M. Then watch your sounder, you may still have to adjust in certain areas. Blue eye congregate from the bottom up to 200M .There would be plenty of crap down there, over 40 yrs worth.

Which poses another question how long before it is fished out?

Edited by finin

As Stewy said always wind up 10M. Then watch your sounder, you may still have to adjust in certain areas. Blue eye congregate from the bottom up to 200M .There would be plenty of crap down there, over 40 yrs worth.

Which poses another question how long before it is fished out?

I have never been to Browns but will go soon I have a eclectric reel are they any good out there for the blue eyed cod ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of small gemmies out there and we did see a nice blue eye landed

One tackle shop owner said that blue eye congregate high in the water column so I wouldn't be too worried about being so close to the bottom.

Ok cool thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of the snags will be other people's previously snagged and busted off lines. I think it happens when the boat is drifting at a slightly different angle/direction to the direction of current on the bottom so the rig gets dragged across the lines that would be like grass in some places down there.