Fishwithme

Boat battery charger

36 posts in this topic

On 17/10/2017 at 9:54 AM, jeffb5.8 said:

OK

If you can afford it then yeah replace both car batteries with Marine batteries.

if you want to space out the batteries purchase, check the fluid levels and Load test the batteries and pick the best one to be your battery 2 to run you accessories and battery one replace with a Marine Battery no smaller than the NS70M (680cca) for your sized motor.

Once you have checked you motor is charging the batteries, confirmed the wiring is in good condition, it will give you a clearer idea of your direction.

Keep us up to date on how you go, its always nice for us and others to see how things end.

From Memory I paid just under $200 for my NS70M Marine Pro Battery, I search online and then price matched with the Marine Mech.

I would check the battery fluid levels first you might be able to save or prolong the life of a battery or two.  If they are low, distilled water is what you need and then a good charging.   If not new batteries may be in order.

 

I have the same setup as you but with 2 marine batteries.  My 90hp starts on either battery.  Since I use it at least once a fortnight I will flick the isolator switch to 1+2 and charge the batteries while driving.  Ive camped overnight with the radio and cabin led's on for a good portion of the night (and anchor light) and never had an issue starting off the one battery the next day.  I also dont have a CTEK charger as, like i said, i use the boat fairly regularly so the batteries get charged.  I just make sure I flick the isolator to off when im done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sigma said:

Just a quick question.

Before you headed out last time and you had to use "both" on your switch, did you charge the batteries the day before or you just went without doing any charging? If you charged them, unfortunately that means the battery needs replacing.

If not, best thing to do  before you buy new batteries is to charge both batteries the day before heading out and see how you go. I always charge all my batteries the day before outing. Trickle charging via a solar panel is not charging. All that does is keep the voltage up but if your battery was low on voltage (like 10V or something), it won't fill it to 12.8V.....this is where you need a CTek charger to charge it up.

Anyway, best to eliminate all possibilities before spending your hard earned. There is nothing wrong with car batteries as I have (and as have others) used them for years. Yes, marine batteries are better as they are designed for use on a boat but I wouldn't just get rid of a battery cause it's not a marine battery. Use it until it dies, then when the time comes to buy a new one, buy a good marine battery....simples. :D

 

Hi Sigma,

I've only owned the boat since father's day. Never been charged before an outing, I will take on your advice and will check the battery meter during the weekend along with investing into a C Tek charger, not sure which to choose from...

I will be doing some work on it as I go with putting a VSR as an addition to the current set up and all lights to LED.

Cheers, Victor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 5 or 7 amp charger will suit what you want to do. You don’t really have to spend extra on a marine version either. 

If you want more information you can PM me. 

Edited by Hateanchors
Spelling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Victor

I note Supercheap auto has the Century Marine batteries on sale today in their new catalogue to club members, it only take 30sec to sign up to their club.

Marine Pro MP620 620cca was $246 now $171.99

MArine Pro 720 720cca was $279 now $194

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2017 at 10:54 AM, jeffb5.8 said:

OK

If you can afford it then yeah replace both car batteries with Marine batteries.

if you want to space out the batteries purchase, check the fluid levels and Load test the batteries and pick the best one to be your battery 2 to run you accessories and battery one replace with a Marine Battery no smaller than the NS70M (680cca) for your sized motor.

Once you have checked you motor is charging the batteries, confirmed the wiring is in good condition, it will give you a clearer idea of your direction.

Keep us up to date on how you go, its always nice for us and others to see how things end.

From Memory I paid just under $200 for my NS70M Marine Pro Battery, I search online and then price matched with the Marine Mech.

Hi Jeff,
 
As requested to keep you updated, been awhile I had the chance to get things done and get on the water.

Charged both batteries on the new MXS5.0 and boat start fine again with no issues, haven't got any replacement battery yet. When the time comes for a good sale then i'll look at my option.

Thanks for the update on the sale, I found out too late with your post.

Cheers Victor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I should add, since having no sleep and a few guys were keen to hit the water on Sunday (1:00am).

I forgot to plug all 3x bungers in and after parking up the car, The boat was filling up fast with water and all my battery including the terminal was submerged! I quickly dash back to the car and pull the boat back out!a:ranting2:

And... start to the day we travel up of hawksbury where my mates idea was to drop the crab pot out along the mangrove which I traveled at walking speed with the sounder showing 3.5m depth... notice a shudder and expected the worse and straight away went back into reverse with light throttle. Didn't think much of it and until taking the boat out at the ramp at :3:00pm! :ranting2: It was a long day for me...

At the end of the day, I washed down everything with fresh water and soap from my Gerni should this be ok? or do I need to check anything else with the terminal and battery? All electronic work all day.
 

IMG-20171105-WA0007.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geez that's a bit of damage to the prop

We all leave the bungs out at least once, my mates now know to sort the inside of the boat out while I go through my mental checklist before launching. I once left the rear straps on my boat and couldn't work out why she was stuck on the trailer.

As for the electrical, once you cleaned them down, there should be a electrical cleaner spray to prevent corrosion, prior to the next time out just undo the battery terminals and give them a clean with a wire brush or sand paper.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not even sure on entertaining myself with getting someone to repair the prop or source a aluminium or stainless steel :1wallbash:

Definitely first time forgetting the bungs and I hope it would be the last... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dorta said:

I'm not even sure on entertaining myself with getting someone to repair the prop or source a aluminium or stainless steel :1wallbash:

Definitely first time forgetting the bungs and I hope it would be the last... 

Can’t tell in the photo if the lowest fin is bent or snapped off, but if it’s bent the same as the others you should be able to straighten them back out if done properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hateanchors said:

Can’t tell in the photo if the lowest fin is bent or snapped off, but if it’s bent the same as the others you should be able to straighten them back out if done properly. 

All 3x are bent, it dense mud/clay surface. If it would cost less than a replacement i'd consider it or otherwise get a replacement if it cost that bit extra..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dorta said:

All 3x are bent, it dense mud/clay surface. If it would cost less than a replacement i'd consider it or otherwise get a replacement if it cost that bit extra..

They're very easy to replace. Just a split pin and one nut that isnt done up tight. Take it off and try to bash it flat with a hammer..

Edited by Smasher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      61,633
    • Total Posts
      492,838