Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tunatrollin

Penn int 30 info

7 posts in this topic

Gday fellas managed to snap up this reel .

Was just after any info on it in the way of its features from 1st hand fishos as opposed to "dr Google " !

It's a little different from the shimano tld 30/50s I'd normally run I'm guessing the little knob below the drag preset is the ratchet ? And do use just use these presets as u would on the shimano a ?

Any helps appreciated [emoji1303]3ea368f8f803dd8f32af2d13f2711a09.jpgbb76a7745ccf36a6dd09b16eb9791bc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tunatrollin

The drag won't be as waterproof as the Shimano's you mentioned. You migh want to use the shower cap over the reel trick when trolling.

Lol never heard of it ! Really ? Haha

Lol never heard of it ! Really ? Haha

Yep, Shimano were first to come out with the first waterproof lever drag with their TTS range. With older designs like your Penn heavy spray while trolling or leaving your reel in a rocket launcher will render the reel unusable until you dismantle it and dry out the drag disk.

Shit ! there u go . Good on shimano tho ! Wish I knew that before I got the new (old) reel . haha . assuming pretty simple to grease up and service then these old Penns? Are the newer models in the penn w/proof ?

Shit ! there u go . Good on shimano tho ! Wish I knew that before I got the new (old) reel . haha . assuming pretty simple to grease up and service then these old Penns? Are the newer models in the penn w/proof ?

Well water resistant might be a better term, some are just more resistant than others. I have got the drag wet on Shimano's a couple of times when they got a heavy dunking of water. The old Everols were very vulnerable to water as the drag was uncovered. I think the old Internationals do have some sort of cover over the drag that might give some protection but not as much as the Shimano's. The drag washer might be asbestos (bonded) on your International so I would use a bit of caution when dismantling it. Alan Tani's website would be a good place to look for tips.

Great thx for the info much appreciated [emoji1303]