Gutamouth

Bass on lure

9 posts in this topic

Got a few bass lures from BCF the other day so gave them a test run out at the local 'spot' that arvo with the miss's. I usually fish the spot early morning or late arvo from the bank with live worms, which the fish love, so thought it'd be fun to mix it up and try some hardbodies and surface lures.

Went with a river2sea buggi pop which looks like a wingless cicada, and a Berkley 3B fatdog shallow diver, both in a green/black colour. Just using 9lb mono.

It was dark by the time we got out there so I was a little sketchy flicking them around the snags, but after a few casts and different retrieves pulled out a nice little 38cm bass on the fatdog :) he completely swallowed the lure. Was a good hassle trying to get it out too, one of the eyes fell off in the process :( 

Tried out the buggi pop next but it didnt interest them, I wasn't sure whether to leave it sit on the surface twitching it or a slow retrieve? 

Fun session though, keen to try some different colours now and find out what works best. Bait was getting expensive anyway! IMG_2931_zpswrjir7xf.jpg

IMG_2927_zpsehrxgcun.jpg

Nice bass there. I'd definitely try twitching. 

Great work. 

Cheers

Tara

Great effort.  That's a nice fat bass.  

Wouldnt worry about the eye.  

Yeah sweet it seemed abit odd casting a lure out and just waiting, ill try workin it next time, cheers! 

And stoney I'll get over it lol, I was just spewin because it was brand new. No big deal :) 

On 23/04/2017 at 2:25 PM, Gutamouth said:

Yeah sweet it seemed abit odd casting a lure out and just waiting, ill try workin it next time, cheers! 

And stoney I'll get over it lol, I was just spewin because it was brand new. No big deal :) 

bass love a lure that sits in the same spot, only just moving. Even with divers, at least if they float, it's a good idea to let it sit where it landed for a few seconds before starting any sort of retrieve

2 hours ago, HenryR said:

bass love a lure that sits in the same spot, only just moving. Even with divers, at least if they float, it's a good idea to let it sit where it landed for a few seconds before starting any sort of retrieve

Spot on. I've had bass hit my shallow diving cranks on the surface before I've started my retrieve.

Cheers,

Wellzy

On 27/04/2017 at 2:35 PM, Wellzy94 said:

Spot on. I've had bass hit my shallow diving cranks on the surface before I've started my retrieve.

Cheers,

Wellzy

Awesome, thanks fellas for the input! Have to give it a good crack after close season

till then :)  

3 hours ago, Gutamouth said:

Awesome, thanks fellas for the input! Have to give it a good crack after close season

till then :)  

As far as I know you can still fish for them in the closed season. You just can't take any.

On 11/05/2017 at 5:59 PM, Roylo said:

As far as I know you can still fish for them in the closed season. You just can't take any.

Ah okay thanks for that Roylo, I wasn't sure myself. I forgot to mention in the original post that the fish was released, same with any bass i get in there. 

Much rather keep catching them over eating them ;)