Flickn Mad

Has any one launched from long bay

9 posts in this topic

Hey fellas, I only have a cheapy sit on top kayak. I have mostly used it around Pittwater chasing squid and bream. It's hard work paddling a great distance due to its short length.

i was wondering if any one has any expierinces putting in at the north side of long bay. 

I have only only seen it on google maps but looks like a good spot with access to some good water. Pelagics hopefully. 

Any input or options would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey FM,

I never launched there but used to live over that way years ago, long before I had a kayak. From memory it's a really, really, really well protected spot. Super kid-friendly beach at the back, etc... I also recall being talking to a guy who'd grown up there - back in the day, his dad worked as a pro out of the bay. He told me they'd row a boat out into the bay every day, load it up with fish in the morning, drive the fish to market and that was it, their work day done by lunchtime. I think the fishing there is nothing like that now!

One you got around the corner, of course, it'd be exactly the same as open water accessed from anywhere else - take care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Port Kembla, though a trek, may be a good option for you. 1km of paddling to protected and productive pelagic grounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long bay near Maroubra ?

If its there then there is a new boat ramp there launch from there,did I say there too many times :huh:

If not sorry wrong place,this ramp goes basically straight out into open sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DMG said:

Long bay near Maroubra ?

If its there then there is a new boat ramp there launch from there,did I say there too many times :huh:

If not sorry wrong place,this ramp goes basically straight out into open sea.

Yes it is there that I am referring to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't used it but I cant see why you would have any problems using it to launch a Yak from there,its a new boat ramp.

That's all I know bro,sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! 

My lovely wife bought me the kayak for Christmas a few years ago. I occasionally get frustrated with work and family commitments and seeing my boat next to the house every day and seldom having time to use it. 

The yak gives me options when I get a window to have a fish. Living in western Sydney finding spots that are sheltered yet productive and not too far away is the challenge.

i saw long bay when cruseing google maps and thought squid, snapper, kings and Bonnies may be good options. 

I think I will give it a go some time soon. 

I will post on here when I'm gunna go and see if anyone what's to go for a paddle.

On 23/04/2017 at 7:05 AM, HenryR said:

Hey FM,

I never launched there but used to live over that way years ago, long before I had a kayak. From memory it's a really, really, really well protected spot. Super kid-friendly beach at the back, etc... I also recall being talking to a guy who'd grown up there - back in the day, his dad worked as a pro out of the bay. He told me they'd row a boat out into the bay every day, load it up with fish in the morning, drive the fish to market and that was it, their work day done by lunchtime. I think the fishing there is nothing like that now!

One you got around the corner, of course, it'd be exactly the same as open water accessed from anywhere else - take care.

Dam good old days. Makes me wonder what my grand kids will think of our experiences in another 50 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Flickn Mad, I head out there quite a bit, most weekends if possible. I always check out the swell and wind beforehand and if either is up I head elsewhere. The ramp launch is pretty easy and usually flat. Within the bay you can target squid which sometimes are about, try around where you launch. I usually don't have the patience for squid and head out to the front of Yellow Rock (Boora Point). I usually start tolling straight away from the ramp and have picked up tailor, salmon, pike and trevally within the bay itself.

For about a year I fished this spot with a Tarpon 100 (3m length). It was slow and sluggish but stable. I now have a Profish 400 which is much more suited for it. In saying that, I kayaked for about 5 years before fishing offshore at this spot. Reason being is Yellow Rock can sometimes have some crazy dangerous backwash going on depending on swell direction. You really have to keep an eye on both swell coming in and off the rocks.

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, damos said:

Hey @Flickn Mad, I head out there quite a bit, most weekends if possible. I always check out the swell and wind beforehand and if either is up I head elsewhere. The ramp launch is pretty easy and usually flat. Within the bay you can target squid which sometimes are about, try around where you launch. I usually don't have the patience for squid and head out to the front of Yellow Rock (Boora Point). I usually start tolling straight away from the ramp and have picked up tailor, salmon, pike and trevally within the bay itself.

For about a year I fished this spot with a Tarpon 100 (3m length). It was slow and sluggish but stable. I now have a Profish 400 which is much more suited for it. In saying that, I kayaked for about 5 years before fishing offshore at this spot. Reason being is Yellow Rock can sometimes have some crazy dangerous backwash going on depending on swell direction. You really have to keep an eye on both swell coming in and off the rocks.

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to help out.

Thanks damos, I am fairly aware of my own and my yaks limitations. It's good to know it's a reasonable launch spot. I will send you a pm when I get the chance to head down there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      61,621
    • Total Posts
      492,687