Walker568

Lures for all round fishing

18 posts in this topic

Hi, i need some help. Bait is quite expensive these days and sometimes it is too hard to pump for yabbies. So I was wondering if anyone knew a selection of lures that are good for catching flatheads to bonito ( really anything big enough for eating or that is fun to catch ). if someone that could just give me like their top ten lure selections that would help immensely.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Walker568 said:

Hi, i need some help. Bait is quite expensive these days and sometimes it is too hard to pump for yabbies. So I was wondering if anyone knew a selection of lures that are good for catching flatheads to bonito ( really anything big enough for eating or that is fun to catch ). if someone that could just give me like their top ten lure selections that would help immensely.  

Hi Walker, are you land based or in a boat. I see that you're at Shellharbour so are you lake, estuary, rocks, or offshore fishing? What sort of experience do you have mate? Let us know these things and it will narrow things down a lot...

Good all round "lures" are soft plastics. You can catch a fairly large variety of species with them. Bream, whiting, flathead, Jewfish, salmon, tailor, just to start with.

Look forward to hearing back from you and you should be able to get the advice which you need. Cheers, Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neil, i am really looking at beach/rocks, eustasy and lake fishing. my experience is fairly limited to lake and estuary fishing and looking to expand my horizons into rock and beach fishing. so any tips would be highly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Walker568 said:

Neil, i am really looking at beach/rocks, eustasy and lake fishing. my experience is fairly limited to lake and estuary fishing and looking to expand my horizons into rock and beach fishing. so any tips would be highly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Thanks for your reply Walker. I will relate my personal experiences to you, although it's not really going to answer your original question "Best lures to use"?

I don't have massive experience of estuary /lake fishing from the shoreline, having fished mostly from a boat ...but soft plastics will definitely do the job in these locations.

Ideally rock and beach fishing is about targeting one or more particular species. Using metal slugs like Halco Twisty metal lures or Spanyid Raiders can produce a variety of species from both rocks and beaches. HOWEVER, I believe that it's still best to berley in both of these situations, so you will still have to purchase some bait for berley. My own experiences have always led me to the same conclusion. Bait fishing is a good option from both rocks and beach. Paternoster rigs with 2 droppers...one with a single large hook (for strip bait) and one with gang hooks (for pilchards). Whether you decide on lures or bait, I feel that it is important to berley the area which you are fishing.

As mentioned earlier soft plastics allow a vast range of opportunities to fish many environments. You just have to match them to the conditions which they are being used and a whole range of species can be caught, from any of the areas you have mentioned.

I wouldn't go out and spend a small fortune on masses of lures without (first) doing some internet research and learning about the complexity of fishing different locations. For instance beach fishing (a good place to start) will only be successful for you, if you learn how to fish these environments. Early morning and into the night are the best times and fishing gutters is the best chance of catching fish from the beaches. Good luck BN

ps I'm sending you a PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beach/rocks

Salmon/tailor = 45-80gm slugs (surecatch knights have worked well, anything metal will do)

Bream/whiting/flathead = small metal vibes off the beach in low swell

Estuary

Bream/whiting/flathead = 2.5" zman grubs on jigheads 1/12th-1/32Nd, or atomic crank38s in deep or shallow depending on depth. Atomic shad 50s and Berkeley walking sticks have worked well for me too if you wanna try hardbodies.

Two very different forms of fishing, each requiring its own rod/reel combo to fish effectively

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Estuary spinning

First thing you will need is a decent combo in the 2-4kg range loaded up with some 6-8lb braid and some 8-10lb flurocarbon leader

my go to hardbodies are

ecogear sx40

zerek tango shad 50mm atomic hards shad

black magic bmax 

strikepro pygmy

Remember lure fishing isn't just casting a lure and catching fish consistently catching fish on lures takes lots of trial and error

A good place to start is areas where you know there are loads of flathead and tailor these are good targets to refine your techniques

hope this helps

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my go to is a Green flick bait by Burkley 4" I normally run with a 2/0 hook with a 3/8 Oz head catch anything from flathead to salmon and tailor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been looking at cranka crabs and I was just wondering are these worth buying and what is the best technique for fishing with them thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Walker568 said:

I have been looking at cranka crabs and I was just wondering are these worth buying and what is the best technique for fishing with them thanks.

I would think off the rock unwaited

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2017 at 8:25 AM, dirvin21 said:

Estuary spinning

First thing you will need is a decent combo in the 2-4kg range loaded up with some 6-8lb braid and some 8-10lb flurocarbon leader

my go to hardbodies are

ecogear sx40

zerek tango shad 50mm atomic hards shad

black magic bmax 

strikepro pygmy

Remember lure fishing isn't just casting a lure and catching fish consistently catching fish on lures takes lots of trial and error

A good place to start is areas where you know there are loads of flathead and tailor these are good targets to refine your techniques

hope this helps

Dave

zerek tango shad - floating or suspending Dave?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Walker568 said:

I have been looking at cranka crabs and I was just wondering are these worth buying and what is the best technique for fishing with them thanks.

I have yet to use mine, but I've been told that a very, very slow roll is all that is needed. It is a real test of your patience when using this method!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HI 

Cranka crab is best used in bay or river around bridges -pylons-rock walls etc @ $20 ea use with some care where you

drop them . Use a v/slow retrieve with a long pause .Good luck.

Bob 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering if anyone has any go to squid jigs they would use, and what would be the best time to use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Walker568 said:

I was wondering if anyone has any go to squid jigs they would use, and what would be the best time to use them.

Pink- dusk and dawn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Pink- dusk and dawn

What size and weight?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

estuary ribbon weed flats 1.8's , harbour kelp beds- 2.5's , offshore deep squid 3.5's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2017 at 1:00 PM, undy said:

I have yet to use mine, but I've been told that a very, very slow roll is all that is needed. It is a real test of your patience when using this method!

cast them up against pylons and let them sink down just like a crab thats fallen off

 

On 10/05/2017 at 0:58 PM, undy said:

zerek tango shad - floating or suspending Dave?

either are good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On a budget: some 5' jerk shads  - will get you flathead, jewfish, tailor,  the requested bonito and tons else. 2.5' z-man grubs - will get just about anything that swims (only a slight exaggeration). And, and Atomic 3B Fat Dogs are great intro to hardbodies and a bargain for the price - loved by bream, bass, flathead and even whiting. Along with, of course, a range of jig head weights and hook sizes.  The caveat is, it's mighty hard to stop there. Lure collections feed on bank balances and grow all on they own!

Edited by HenryR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      61,636
    • Total Posts
      492,880