Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
finin

Bluefin

7 posts in this topic

The Bluefin have begun to arrive around Bermi, 1 boat 5 way hookup and boated four. A few other boats also landed fish.

No barrells as yet from the photos ive seen, most fish above 20kg. Wont be long before there here. 

Hopefully the new bag limits will prevent the carnage of a few years back. One fish goes a long way especially when they aren't that great on the chew. Long weekend should see a heap of boats from over the border so be prepared at the ramp.

I thought they were supposed to be very tasty to eat. 

Have you had a bad experience Jon or just don't rate them?

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Houdini said:

I thought they were supposed to be very tasty to eat. 

Have you had a bad experience Jon or just don't rate them?

Normally share one each year but only take enough for one meal, I personaly think they are pretty bland and a couple of steps back from yellowfin and bigeye. I see it that the blue eye trevala we pick up half way to where the bluefin are often caught are in a totally different class of table food and far more reliable to catch.

I can also post links from the csiro if admin allow showing the levels of heavy metals within these tuna caught from our coasts https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/mercury-in-fish. Pregnant women and young children are recommended not to eat these fish for a reason http://www.ffc.org.au/Mercury_and_fish.html I will dig out the actual data reports on the amounts of metals when I get on my main computer. To add to those reports Aus standards are far bellow the US, meaning our governmeant body's think it's safe for us to eat far more levels of heavy metals than the US.

Edited by JonD

Just to add to the discussion around mercury. Another element to consider is the selenium levels in a species. It's scientifically accepted selenium can both protect against neurotoxicity and other negative aspects of mercury. The argument is that some species of fish have so much offsetting selenium that they're safe to eat (tuna for example) whereas other species have virtually no selenium and therefore much more risky (sharks for example).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/20561558/

Like all tuna best not cooked. Bluefin beats anything hands down if treated properly. 

21 hours ago, Bigfella said:

Like all tuna best not cooked. Bluefin beats anything hands down if treated properly. 

Bluefin tuna go great on the bbq, its just like cooking T-bone steak only ten times better.

I can't bring myself to eat raw fish, puke. Lightly cooked and its a whole new ball game.

Cheers