Trailcraft43

Fish cleaning table

53 posts in this topic

Got it back late yesterday. 😊 Very happy with it.

Checked the steel rack and not enough 50mm

to start yet.☹️.

IMG_3399.JPG

Edited by Trailcraft43

2 minutes ago, Trailcraft43 said:

Got it back late yesterday. 😊

to start yet.☹️.

IMG_3399.JPG

You always need more materials than you think when doing projects.

19 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Where abouts in Sydney do you live on acreage?I thought the blocks in Sydney where just big enough to swing a cat.

Next to badgeries ck new airport site.

im going to sell the property soon n move up the coast.

lake Macquarie, port Stephens or Forster.

not sure yet.

depends what is available that suits my needs  when the time comes.

Next to badgeries ck new airport site.

im going to sell the property soon n move up the coast.

lake Macquarie, port Stephens or Forster.

not sure yet.

depends what is available that suits my needs  when the time comes.

Ok.My Mrs use to have a property in Luddnehm where she use to breed and train greyhounds.

23 minutes ago, Trailcraft43 said:

Got it back late yesterday. 😊

to start yet.☹️.

IMG_3399.JPG

You always need more materials than you think when doing projects.

5 minutes ago, Fab1 said:

Ok.My Mrs use to have a property in Luddnehm where she use to breed and train greyhounds.

Yeah Luddenham is going off at the moment price wise. 

with the m12, widening of Mamre rd, widening of Elizabeth drive, airport, railways etc

its all starting to happen.

cant wait to get out of here!

Edited by Trailcraft43

4 minutes ago, Trailcraft43 said:

Yeah Luddenham is going off at the moment price wise. 

with the m12, widening of Mamre rd, widening of Elizabeth drive, airport, railways etc

its all starting to happen.

cant wait to get out of here!

Don't blame you mate.They're destroying everything now.

That's progress I guess.

it will all create jobs and industry.

its the future.

That's progress I guess.

it will all create jobs and industry.

its the future.

I guess,but it comes at a cost to the environment that's for sure.I just hope I'm not around when we're  piled on top of each other.

I might be a week or 2 before I get into the fish cleaning table.

as a mate is giving me a 64 piece bundle of 2.4m lengths of 40mm gal 1.6 wall box tube.

so I'm just waiting on delivery.

was a botched order, so it's a freeby, was over ordered for a job and not used. But paid for.

but I'll pay him back with some welding or fiberglassing, or a fishing trip later😊

So it should work out better than 50mm, as the formply is 20mm= 70mm

so if I use 40mm box + the 20mm ply that's 60mm. I will have 10mm overhang on the Ss top and can put on a plastic edge strip.

Edited by Trailcraft43

25 minutes ago, Trailcraft43 said:

I might be a week or 2 before I get into the fish cleaning table.

as a mate is giving me a 64 piece bundle of 2.4m lengths of 40mm gal 1.6 wall box tube.

so I'm just waiting on delivery.

was a botched order, so it's a freeby 

but I'll pay him back with some welding or fiberglassing, or a fishing trip later😊

Looking fwd to seeing the end result.Sounds like it's going to have the works.Might even make a good autopsy table for me If I keep annoying the mrs.

8 minutes ago, Trailcraft43 said:

Hahaha, good one Fab, 😝

Yeah,it's funny when you aren't getting sliced up. 

Well looks like the steel has fallen through so it's off to the steel store for me early next week😕

4 hours ago, Trailcraft43 said:

Well looks like the steel has fallen through so it's off to the steel store for me early next week😕

That's a shame mate.I'm itching to see this thing done.

Yeah me 2. Fab

ill get into it next week now.

he might still come through, if not his loss not mine.

4 minutes ago, Trailcraft43 said:

Yeah me 2. Fab

ill get into it next week now.

he might still come through, if not his loss not mine.

Can't do much about it I guess.

14 hours ago, Trailcraft43 said:

I have a heap of 20mm round stainless steel tube. I could weld up a nice looking table for you. I make rocket launchers and hand rails out of it .

Frank

Thanks for the offer Frank but I'm trying to keep it cheap as possible and I like the square legs look.

Plus 40mm is smallest diameter I wanted to go.

Cheers

Edited by Trailcraft43

Got some gal 40mm 2mm wall box tube steel dropped off today so it's full steam ahead this week, 

IMG_3837.JPG

Edited by Trailcraft43

4 hours ago, Trailcraft43 said:

Got some gal 40mm 2mm wall box tube steel dropped off today so it's full steam ahead this week, 

IMG_3837.JPG

You should be able to park that forklift on it when it's done mate.Still looking fwd to the end result.

You must be planning on catching a heap of big fish. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Frank

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, frankS said:

You must be planning on catching a heap of big fish. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Frank

Nagh, not really.

just like a comfortable area to clean where a few mates can have a bundy or beer while doing the chore.😜

I used  to clean them on the lawn but now there are a few outside cats so need to get it hygeneically correct.😜

Plus my lower back and neck are pretty cactus nowadays. So working standing up is less painful.

Getting a start on it this Thursday so will post a few pictures of the progress,

cheers marty

Edited by Trailcraft43

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one mate.  I've been using the top of my 160L eski for a while now, but like you I am finding it "harder" to stay stooped for a long time. It would be good to be upright but then I'd lose the reason to ask my wife for another burbon and ice!

BTW, since we are on the topic of cleaning fish and without trying to start a religious war, what's the general consensus regarding cleaning saltwater fish in fresh water vs salt water.

For some time now I have tried to avoid fresh water contacting the catch. So I bring back 2 x 20L buckets of salt water ( the big white ones with lids).  I use this water to clean the fish...and then straight into ziplock bags, remove air and into the freezer...no fresh water contact.  I have found the fish lasts for months and you get none of that fishy odour. Tastes like it was caught the same day. I was introduced to this - no fresh water rule -  by a mate who is a regular 50kg+ tuna fisherman when I asked him how did he care for so much tuna - clearly he was freezing it for a long time.

On the boat, I place a layer of ice (or plastic bottles of frozen water ) in my 160L eski, on top of that I place a plastic crate that I fill with salt water. Takes no time for the salt water to get ice cold and that's where the catch goes. Again - no fresh water contact.

Does anyone else follow this type of advice - no fresh water on salt water fish?? What are other raider's experiences?

Cheers

Zoran

Like the idea of fish cleaning table, just think my neighbours in the unit next door would hate me.

P.s

I did get strange looks one time I was at Rydalmere boat ramp and I pulled out the morning fresh and brillo pad and scrubbed the table and washed it all off before cleaning my 2 flathead.

Took me two second and saved me with my OCD thinking about all the stuff than had been cleaned or dumped on the table, as I don't think Ryde council clean it as they cannot even empty the bins which are over flowing.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one mate.  

Does anyone else follow this type of advice - no fresh water on salt water fish?

Cheers Zoran.

yeah I'm same as you when it comes to fresh water and fish.

i find fresh water does horrible things to fish fillets.im Not sure exactly why.

thats why my catch goes straight into a slurry of saltwater and ice whole, unkilled Unscaled and ungutted.

I find it puts live fish into a quick hybernation and death resulting in no stress.

and by the time I'm home with the catch its chilled and firm, thus easy to gut and fillet and skin, (reason I never scale my catch) leaving scales on keeps the skin firm and easier to get skinless fillets and steaks. 

I only use the fresh water to clean the table, knives n rods afterwards.

as i skin and carve my fillets I place straight into Clipsal bags and then straight into the big chest freezer.

no need to rinse fillets if everything is clean and use disposable plastic gloves like the deli girls use in Coles n woolies.

Cheers marty

Edited by Trailcraft43