• Announcements

• mrsswordfisherman

NEW LIKE BUTTON   12/27/2017

All posts now have a few reaction buttons Go ahead and like, hahaha, sad, confused etc on posts please ensure you keep posting and NOT just liking Enjoy!!
Trailcraft43

Boating disasters, your best or worst!

What's your best or worst boating disaster?

mine was when I was about 20yo.

im 56yo now.

Just bought my first boat, a 18 ft stebbercraft.

went up n launched at parsley bay.

I motored to flint n steel point and anchored to fish for Jewish 1 night.

A few hrs later I thought the boat was sitting low in the water and that in the slight swell the ocean pearl didn't  bob around much! 🙁

Lifted the false floor to see that the hull was full of water, just about to start wetting the carpet.

panic 😮😧😱

Pull up anchor n motor back to the ramp,

put boat back on trailer n pull her out.

water pouring out the bung, disconnected trailer from 4x4 to assist draining.

took about 1 hr to fully drain.

then put the bung plug in, relaunched n went back out to resume the fishing trip, lol😜😝

never ever did I forget to put the bung in again hahaha, 😂

Cheers marty.

Edited by Trailcraft43

awesome.mine is near identical..had 530 steber with ford inboard..was anchored off wybung head sth of Swansea.when I noticed floor hatch was lifting..the fuel tank was floating in all the water..my bro in law left out bung under berley pot..took twenty five mins travelling with bilge pump going before we could get on plane..got into Swansea channel and waterways tried pulling me over..i wouldn't stop so he came alongside travelling and I told him we were sinking and if he wanted to follow me to boat ramp at gwandalan he was welcome but I wasn't stopping...by time we got hull on trailer not knowing why we were taking water it was same thing ..took 15 mins to drain and trailer was creaking till it drained...moral is I put bungs in now ALWAYS..no exceptions...rick

Lol, I didn't have a bilge pump so needed to put back on trailer to drain. 

I leave mine in now.

just take out after fishing, clean boat n put back in,

Edited by Trailcraft43

we dropped off a wave coming home from broughton island a few years back in a 16ft tinnie full of fish and camping gear...we split the hull and spent twenty mins bailing frantically with bucket .we beached it fairly fast and hard on the sand right next to shoal bay boat ramp..we then had to winch it round and over to ramp to get it on trailer..still not a fan of tinnies haha..rick

49 minutes ago, sam bros said:

This is going to be a very interesting and funny topic. 

I havent really had a disaster yet but have come close a couple times

yeah hahahaha

Actually I just remembered a boating disaster in my tinnie a couple years ago. 

I was fishing close to a rocky point inside the harbour, We came in pretty close, I thought that it was still deep, next thing I see on the sounder the water level went from 5m to 0.7m, as the swell dropped we  got stuck on the rocks and then as the swell came back up we would frantically paddle to get back to the deeper water. Then pause as the water dropped and were stuck again, and then paddle frantically again when the water rose. After a minute or so we were back in deeper water and away we went. 

I though that we would lose the boat that day.

I was fishing by myself outside Port Hacking had been out for a few hours and after trolling anchored up.  

Shortly after the bulge kicked in pumping water.  I then noticed the boat was sitting much deeper than usual.

I figured it must be the bungs but didn't fancy a swim when I was by myself.   So I pulled up anchor and gunned it back into Jibbon.  

A checked the bungs and sure enough one was missing.   I reckon it wasn't tight and vibrated out whilst trolling.  I carry spares so whacked it in and carried on with the day. 

Where do I start?Ok,On my current boats maiden voyage I took it out to grays point with my son and upon launching I gave him clear instructions that I would push the boat from the trailer and he would walk it over to the pontoon by the painter.

So I go park the car and whilst walking back im thinking "what's he doing there" to realise as I got closer that he's parked it under the bloody pontoon and has it well and truly wedged in there.

I finally pull it out with scratches to the top of the outboard cowling and manage to head off for a fish with a brand new rod I bought 3 days prior.

We set our roads and I had my new one resting against the gunnel with about a foot sticking out the boat.I asked him if he stepped the canopy down on the windscreen and he said he had.

Anyway, we're on our way and it was quite windy/choppy going flatout in the open when all of a sudden the wind gets under the canopy and flings it back with the frame hitting my new rod turning it into a 3 pce rod.

Later on I said to keep a lockout and tell me if we're going to hit anything or go into the shallows while we drifted and I was busy not looking tying rigs.

Next thing I heard is scraaaaape as I look up scraping the whole side of my boat along a starboard marker.

I tell you I could write a book about the silly things that have happened.

6 minutes ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Fabian you need to trade in and get a smarter son haha..rick

I think your right mate.Talk about not being aware of your surroundings.

Second time I took a new boat out I went out Botany heads, found a spot, rigged up got all comfy and then realized it was filling up with water.  I wasnt gonna let that ruin my day. Drove back to the ramp, got my mate to jump out & run to the car & grab the bung and I got into the drink to put it in, the bilge pump did the rest. 

Pretty tame disasters so far, surely someone here has capsized on a bar crossing or out at sea?

3 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Fabian, 

what were you like as a youngster? might be genetic. lol

I don't class a 18yr old a youngster.He's always been terrible at things like that.Another time I was backing down the ramp and I told him to tell me if I'm going near the side of the ramp as I lost sight of the wheels on the trailer.Im backing and backing and he looked like a dear in headlights without saying a word.I yelled out,"Jordan!"Am I near the edge?He yells back,"Your nearly off".I stopped the car and got out to look with one wheel literally still on the ramp by ,1\2 inch and went ballistic at him.Anyway I learnt to do everything by myself since as he's hopeless.Other than being hopeless at all things manly,he was great at school,uni and hopefully work soon.lol.

As a 16 year old lifesaver for Avoca beach SLSC, my friend and I, even though unlicensed, took the rubber duck up to Avoca lagoon in 15 foot swell. We were riding in a wave and I backed off the throttle and tried to surf it in. We flipped it in front of Avoca lake.

the patrol captain came up the beach 1 hour later with the IRB captain and some fresh spark plugs. Managed to get it going again. 

On the way back my friend managed to not correctly seal the zip lock bag for the marine radio worth $1500 and lost it.

Edited by flatheadluke
Typo

4 hours ago, Fab1 said:

I don't class a 18yr old a youngster.He's always been terrible at things like that.Another time I was backing down the ramp and I told him to tell me if I'm going near the side of the ramp as I lost sight of the wheels on the trailer.Im backing and backing and he looked like a dear in headlights without saying a word.I yelled out,"Jordan!"Am I near the edge?He yells back,"Your nearly off".I stopped the car and got out to look with one wheel literally still on the ramp by ,1\2 inch and went ballistic at him.Anyway I learnt to do everything by myself since as he's hopeless.Other than being hopeless at all things manly,he was great at school,uni and hopefully work soon.lol.

Fabian,

You got it easy!! My 9 year old daughter keeps on pranking me. For example the other night I'm having a shower. I didn't notice but I'm sure the door opened a crack and a little hand reached in, there's a click, next thing I know I'm showering the the dark and freezing coz the exhaust fan is on.

One day going to work, I thought there must be something wrong with my feet. My shoes were tighter than normal. So either my foot had expanded or somehow my shoes had shrunk. All day it puzzled me.That evening when I got home I was telling my wife about my predicament, while I'm talking my daughter reaches into my shoes and pulls out some tissues she had stuffed into the toes.

On another day I'm making myself a wrap, with the last wrap in the entire house. My daughter asks me in her little daughter voice which I can't resist "Daddy can I have some". So hand her the wrap and continue preparing my fillings. One minute later she gives it back. See attachment

I'll gladly swapping offspring.

Sorry this isn't a boating disaster, but a man can only take so much before he needs to get it off his chest

IMG_4047.jpg

Edited by nutsaboutfishing

4 minutes ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Fabian,

You got it easy!! My 9 year old daughter keeps on pranking me. For example the other night I'm having a shower. I didn't notice but I'm sure the door opened a crack and a little hand reached in, there's a click, next thing I know I'm showering the the dark and freezing coz the exhaust fan is on.

One day going to work, I thought there must be something wrong with my feet. My shoes were tighter than normal. So either my foot had expanded or somehow my shoes had shrunk. That evening when I got home I was telling my wife about my predicament, while I'm talking my daughter reaches into my shoes and pulls out some tissues she had stuffed into the toes.

On another day I'm making myself a wrap, with the last wrap in the entire house. My daughter asks me in her little daughter voice which I can't resist "Daddy can I have some". So hand her the wrap and continue preparing my fillings. I minute later she gives it back. See attachment

IMG_4047.jpg

And she's only 9.youve got plenty more of that coming.😂

22 hours ago, Fab1 said:

Where do I start?Ok,On my current boats maiden voyage I took it out to grays point with my son and upon launching I gave him clear instructions that I would push the boat from the trailer and he would walk it over to the pontoon by the painter.

So I go park the car and whilst walking back im thinking "what's he doing there" to realise as I got closer that he's parked it under the bloody pontoon and has it well and truly wedged in there.

I finally pull it out with scratches to the top of the outboard cowling and manage to head off for a fish with a brand new rod I bought 3 days prior.

We set our roads and I had my new one resting against the gunnel with about a foot sticking out the boat.I asked him if he stepped the canopy down on the windscreen and he said he had.

Anyway, we're on our way and it was quite windy/choppy going flatout in the open when all of a sudden the wind gets under the canopy and flings it back with the frame hitting my new rod turning it into a 3 pce rod.

Later on I said to keep a lockout and tell me if we're going to hit anything or go into the shallows while we drifted and I was busy not looking tying rigs.

Next thing I heard is scraaaaape as I look up scraping the whole side of my boat along a starboard marker.

I tell you I could write a book about the silly things that have happened.

what a day :D

13 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Fabian,

One day going to work, I thought there must be something wrong with my feet. My shoes were tighter than normal. So either my foot had expanded or somehow my shoes had shrunk. All day it puzzled me.That evening when I got home I was telling my wife about my predicament, while I'm talking my daughter reaches into my shoes and pulls out some tissues she had stuffed into the toes.

On another day I'm making myself a wrap, with the last wrap in the entire house. My daughter asks me in her little daughter voice which I can't resist "Daddy can I have some". So hand her the wrap and continue preparing my fillings. One minute later she gives it back. See attachment

Sorry this isn't a boating disaster, but a man can only take so much before he needs to get it off his chest

IMG_4047.jpg

Great sense of humour that one 😂 

13 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Fabian,

how funny :D

14 hours ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Fabian,

IMG_4047.jpg

Hahaha that is quality