BigRod

Sunday 10/9

20 posts in this topic

Gonna hit the hacking this sunday if anyone is keen gonna push off say 6am  from wallys wharf weather and tides seem nice

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck mate

Hopefully you  get a few fish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i was gonna post this in Fishing Reports but now I see it's already got a place.

Even though Rod had plans to hit the Hacking and I was weighing up the merits of paddling to some quiet corner of the Hawkesbury to sit in the sun and chase luderick, it was  krause who called the shots in the end.

Krause dictated an early start at Port Kembla for all three of us.

It was the slimmest of plans. We'd fetch some livies, troll them around in the first hour or two of light, not expecting much to happen, just in case we got lucky. Then we'd retreat to the back of the bay, where the weekend's big swells couldn't get us, and toss plastics for flathead.

And that's almost exactly what happened. Only pike and mini barracuda wanted to eat yakkas and one by one we all drifted to the back of the bay. There, sadly not much was happening either. Krause had a few bumps but no hook up and Rod likewise, bites but no fish.

I couldn't even get a bump from a fish so, half heatedly, I paddled back to the breakwall. A lucky decision that scored the only fish of the day.

It was a pretty chaotic fight because I had line out to a snagged lure when the livie rod took off. The king managed to circle through the lot (of course). Two crossed lines, one tied to the bottom the other to fish charging off in to the distance, and two unsecured rods in a kayak. I decided to sacrifice a lure and cut the braid on the snagged line figuring that'd be the end of it.

Braid is like spider web at times! More than once during the fight I looked down at my reel to discover the stray braid had somehow reappeared and was again wrapping itself around my reel again. It took lots of nervous line snipping, some luck, and a fair bit of the frantic back paddling that comes with hooking kings from a kayak near structure to finally get a fish in the net.

New kingie pb for me, 80cm, and few nice hours in some almost summery sun.

We finished off the morning with a quick walk out to Hill 60 and watched small mountains of water roll between the point and the island - big seas might limit the fishing options but they are awesome.

 

big boat.jpg
little boat meets BIG boat

kingy.jpg
fish meets little boat

 

Edited by HenryR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good report Henry. Lucky that you stayed calm and managed to land it with all the ensuing problems cropping up. Very well done. BN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah was a good day even thow the fish were quite will post date and times of the next outing probably do a roseville trip

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fish meets little boat haha, now i demand fish meets my boat! >:( nah it was a pleasant day out. Roseville is a contender rod, as long as it aint that hill again! Wheres raz he knows what we're taking about

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2017 at 5:37 PM, HenryR said:

i was gonna post this in Fishing Reports but now I see it's already got a place.

Even though Rod had plans to hit the Hacking and I was weighing up the merits of paddling to some quiet corner of the Hawkesbury to sit in the sun and chase luderick, it was  krause who called the shots in the end.

Krause dictated an early start at Port Kembla for all three of us.

It was the slimmest of plans. We'd fetch some livies, troll them around in the first hour or two of light, not expecting much to happen, just in case we got lucky. Then we'd retreat to the back of the bay, where the weekend's big swells couldn't get us, and toss plastics for flathead.

And that's almost exactly what happened. Only pike and mini barracuda wanted to eat yakkas and one by one we all drifted to the back of the bay. There, sadly not much was happening either. Krause had a few bumps but no hook up and Rod likewise, bites but no fish.

I couldn't even get a bump from a fish so, half heatedly, I paddled back to the breakwall. A lucky decision that scored the only fish of the day.

It was a pretty chaotic fight because I had line out to a snagged lure when the livie rod took off. The king managed to circle through the lot (of course). Two crossed lines, one tied to the bottom the other to fish charging off in to the distance, and two unsecured rods in a kayak. I decided to sacrifice a lure and cut the braid on the snagged line figuring that'd be the end of it.

Braid is like spider web at times! More than once during the fight I looked down at my reel to discover the stray braid had somehow reappeared and was again wrapping itself around my reel again. It took lots of nervous line snipping, some luck, and a fair bit of the frantic back paddling that comes with hooking kings from a kayak near structure to finally get a fish in the net.

New kingie pb for me, 80cm, and few nice hours in some almost summery sun.

We finished off the morning with a quick walk out to Hill 60 and watched small mountains of water roll between the point and the island - big seas might limit the fishing options but they are awesome.

 

big boat.jpg
little boat meets BIG boat

kingy.jpg
fish meets little boat

 

awesome catch mate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coastie01, we're always looking for new kayakers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello krause,

i live on the central coast, so i dont know how far away that is to where normally fish.

i am also only 15 so maybe a bit later on

thanks anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2017 at 5:37 PM, HenryR said:

i was gonna post this in Fishing Reports but now I see it's already got a place.

Even though Rod had plans to hit the Hacking and I was weighing up the merits of paddling to some quiet corner of the Hawkesbury to sit in the sun and chase luderick, it was  krause who called the shots in the end.

Krause dictated an early start at Port Kembla for all three of us.

It was the slimmest of plans. We'd fetch some livies, troll them around in the first hour or two of light, not expecting much to happen, just in case we got lucky. Then we'd retreat to the back of the bay, where the weekend's big swells couldn't get us, and toss plastics for flathead.

And that's almost exactly what happened. Only pike and mini barracuda wanted to eat yakkas and one by one we all drifted to the back of the bay. There, sadly not much was happening either. Krause had a few bumps but no hook up and Rod likewise, bites but no fish.

I couldn't even get a bump from a fish so, half heatedly, I paddled back to the breakwall. A lucky decision that scored the only fish of the day.

It was a pretty chaotic fight because I had line out to a snagged lure when the livie rod took off. The king managed to circle through the lot (of course). Two crossed lines, one tied to the bottom the other to fish charging off in to the distance, and two unsecured rods in a kayak. I decided to sacrifice a lure and cut the braid on the snagged line figuring that'd be the end of it.

Braid is like spider web at times! More than once during the fight I looked down at my reel to discover the stray braid had somehow reappeared and was again wrapping itself around my reel again. It took lots of nervous line snipping, some luck, and a fair bit of the frantic back paddling that comes with hooking kings from a kayak near structure to finally get a fish in the net.

New kingie pb for me, 80cm, and few nice hours in some almost summery sun.

We finished off the morning with a quick walk out to Hill 60 and watched small mountains of water roll between the point and the island - big seas might limit the fishing options but they are awesome.

 

big boat.jpg
little boat meets BIG boat

kingy.jpg
fish meets little boat

 

nice king henry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid king mate, especially for this time of year. You'll have to come up Pittwater way in the summer when the kings are around in numbers!! 

Jacob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BN, Coastie, Regan, Jacob, thanks muchly for the generous comments :)

Jacob, you bet Pittwater is on the list of places to visit this 'season'! I've been on a few failed attempts at getting fish out of there but they've all been visits at times when other places weren't the go either. Sometimes you gotta rip yourself away from known bets to properly learn new stuff. It does sound like, when Pittwater's good it is excellent. Will let you know when we make it, lol, that far north!!

Actually lots of places to try this summer ... we - krause, myself and a few other associated yakkers - learned a few new tricks in the slow last half of last summer and autumn. Still have a lot to learn but I'm quietly confident (or optimistic) that this season we can consolidate a bit and find at least a few good fish for everybody.

 

On 9/14/2017 at 8:46 PM, COASTIE 01 said:

central coast

coastie, do you get to fish the Haven much??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HenryR said:

BN, Coastie, Regan, Jacob, thanks muchly for the generous comments :)

Jacob, you bet Pittwater is on the list of places to visit this 'season'! I've been on a few failed attempts at getting fish out of there but they've all been visits at times when other places weren't the go either. Sometimes you gotta rip yourself away from known bets to properly learn new stuff. It does sound like, when Pittwater's good it is excellent. Will let you know when we make it, lol, that far north!!

Actually lots of places to try this summer ... we - krause, myself and a few other associated yakkers - learned a few new tricks in the slow last half of last summer and autumn. Still have a lot to learn but I'm quietly confident (or optimistic) that this season we can consolidate a bit and find at least a few good fish for everybody.

 

coastie, do you get to fish the Haven much??

 

Would definitely be keen on heading out with you guys when you come up to Pittwater, or even around middle/north harbour, let us know when you're around for sure 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2017 at 7:43 AM, HenryR said:

 

coastie, do you get to fish the Haven much??

 

yeah i do fish it a bit mate,

if i can help you wih anything about it i am happy to help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flatiefisher, north head is/will be a major stomping ground for us in a few months so we can definitely keep you in the loop on that one.  Potentially also long reef? I don't know hire blue water oriented you are

Coastie, how what where etc hahah,  no there is a curiousity about the pelagics out front of the haven. Wondering if it gets as good as some say it does?

Edited by krause
Spelling, or the lack there of....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, krause said:

Flatiefisher, north head is/will be a major stomping ground for us in a few months so we can definitely keep you in the loop on that one.  Potentially also long reef? I don't know hire blue water oriented you are

Coastie, how what where etc hahah,  no there is a curiousity about the pelagics out front of the haven. Wondering if it gets as good as some say it does?

That'd be great, haven't done much blue water yaking but would be keen to do it with a few others. Would love to be kept in the loop.

Cheers

Jacob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henry , thanks for interesting report and congrats with new PB.  What rig was used , and how long did it take to land the king from kayak?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2017 at 0:27 PM, krause said:

Coastie, how what where etc hahah,  no there is a curiousity about the pelagics out front of the haven. Wondering if it gets as good as some say it does?

hello,

i have never had much luck outside of the haven on my hobie revo but,

fishing inside the haven off the rocksi have caught, big tailor, frigates and bonito. that is about the closest to a pelagic speies i have caught there so far.

but i have seen pics of tuna, salmonand kings caught off there, gotta pick your day i guess

rickmarlin would know more than me :D.......

Regan

Edited by COASTIE 01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

leave haven turn right and you can paddle for miles down around cape three points..heaps of reef to troll over..plenty of washes  tuna .kings .salmon .tailor .bonnies. etc etc .....rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a nice part of the world to spend a few days at...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      61,623
    • Total Posts
      492,718