Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrsswordfisherman

Almost speared!

14 posts in this topic

close call..ive had a couple land on the gunwhale and one little 30kg model land in boat....one guy was speared thru the mouth an out the cheek years ago during the interclub at port stephens..rick

Trace, tagers and Gaffers should get danger money and wear jousting suits of Armour . 

Edited by Trailcraft43

hey traily its all good fun till someone gets hurt...I gamefished for years and have traced hundreds of marlin..imo the skipper wasn't idling forward fast enough  the marlin overran them turned under then done a loop..ive seen it happen before..you cant let them get in front of you if they turn out its not so bad if they turn in they usually go under boat and get cut off...rick

Yeah Rick  I noticed that!

the boat wasn't motoring ahead quick enough.

when I seen the fish ark out I thought it was going to do what it did, 😮💀

Edited by Trailcraft43

15 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

close call..ive had a couple land on the gunwhale and one little 30kg model land in boat....one guy was speared thru the mouth an out the cheek years ago during the interclub at port stephens..rick

And I heard the same bloke in a prefish last year got one through the hand! 

20 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

And I heard the same bloke in a prefish last year got one through the hand! 

Flipping hell im not going near anything with a beak!😧

look on youtube at the one that landed in LITTLE AUDREY..rick

a few years ago I tagged 58 marlin in three weeks on boardroom  .our best day was12 fish..no close calls  we treat each fish carefully and a few years experience gives you a feel for them...we have tended to go with wind ons and seldom trace fish any more..we tag them off the rod..once the double and windon are on you thumblock the fish and walk backwards..tag fish grab trace and hang on motor forward,the light gauge circles usually straighten or the knot breaks..1 in 15 you may have to trace to the side and cut trace...saying that s#@t happens and you hope your ok..rick

years ago fishing in a wollongong gamefishing comp i hocked and got to the boat a rather large yellowfin we were fishing for sharks and had a mako around 120kg tied to the bow 28ft berty anyway when the gaff man went to gaff the tuna he touched it first the fish took off draging one of my mates with him (days of using togles on trace) it had that much energy after 3 hours on 50 to do that on the other hand next day i couldnt even reel in just the line fish 1 jim nill

chris was just bobbing infront of the burly bucket we had been using all day got him out quick 

big fish are strong they dont get big for nothing

months later a yellowfin tuna was caught of bandit reef with a shark trace still in tacked clamed to be over 100kgs

yes it was that big head one side of the berty and tail the other with cycles way past the tail

after that in the next 3 years nothing over 50kgs caught plenty lost 

Had one a couple of years back coming up to the trace very green in fairly rough seas. I was caught up in keeping the boat moving forwards and grabbing the leader and my son was on the rod in the stand up harness. the fish was a fairly big striped marlin of 80-90 kgs and had come up to the boat after about 10 minutes on 24kg. Anyway I grabbed the leader and was being stretched over the side , my son was yelling at me "should I go free spool?" and for some very dumb reason I said yes. Because of the rough seas I had to dump the leader and the fish shot out the back of the boat, the reel backlashed and my son was pulled off balance past me to the stern. I grabbed him as the fish greyhounded away and the 150lb leader snapped like a gunshot. I had nightmares about that one for a couple of months- got the whole thing on the GoPro and i couldnt actually watch the footage for about a year. Big fish need to be respected and its easy to stuff up even when you are methodical and prepared- which most of the time I'd like to think i am- still buggered if I know why i said yes to my son wanting to freespool!

We dont go to full free spool once we have hold of the trace but we certainly back it off a bit just in case the trace man has to dump the leader.

5 minutes ago, New Signing said:

We dont go to full free spool once we have hold of the trace but we certainly back it off a bit just in case the trace man has to dump the leader.

Yep know that and knew it- still made a stuff up that could have ended much worse!

9 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Yep know that and knew it- still made a stuff up that could have ended much worse!

Just use it as a lesson for yourself and more importantly your young bloke mate. Shit happens as they say