• Announcements

Sign in to follow this  
Armpits

Bait Fishing - Questions

Been doing some research but need to find out some things. Hope you guys can help.

1) When hooking up some bait why do I see a lot of people showing the hook through the bait. I would of thought covering the whole hook so the fish cannot notice the hook?

2) Can I use chicken and beef pieces from home as bait? Do most fish eat them?

3) Been reading on hooks and they say the J Hook you have to yank and hook on the fish. Where as Circle Hook the fish will hook itself. Correct? Also what size circle hook would be a good all rounder hook for cubes/strip/fillet/live whole baits? Size 6/0 or need higher?

Thanks!

1. With j hooks or suicide hooks I find it's best to cover most of the hook in the bait, but you have to leave at least a little bit of the hook point out of the bait, otherwise how does the fish get hooked? Which circle hooks you need to leave most of the hook open, as the fish needs to have a fairly bare hook in their mouth when they run for it to work. It's advised to only have one entrance and exit point with circles.

2. Yes, bream love them. Other fish might too, but mostly bream.

3. You are right about the J hook vs circle. Jerk with Js, let circles hook the fish themselves. 6/0 is a good size for live baits for big fish, e.g. jewfish kingfish. You can even go up to about 10/0 for live baiting. For stuff like bream and flathead, that is far too big, try maybe size 1 or 2 for bream, 1/0-3/0 for flathead.

Edited by Aardvarking

Leaving the the pointy end of the hook exposed will catch more fish e.g. soft plastics all baits will work the same. Some times you rig with less exposure to avoid snags with weeds etc.The advantage of circle hooks is they tend to hook in the corner of the mouth by design,  making catch and release fishing easier.

Generally you want to have the hook point exposed so it can easily penetrate.
Through experience you'll find if its buried in the bait you miss a lot more hookups then if the point is exposed.

I used to do it when i first started fishing, i'd try and cover the hook completely with the bait, though through my own experimenting is when i soon realised that what i thought would catch me more fish by hiding the hook, was actually catching me less

I personally reckon the hook sizes change a little base on where your fishing and the pressure on the fish there. For trevally and most other medium sized fish would use a size 4 to 1/0, just depends on what bait you're using. For live baiting i normally use a 3/0 + octopus circle, usually use owners because they are cheaper and a little stronger than gamagatsus. Baiting the hook also varies in different situations, more pressured areas=cover more hook. I always leave a point out and since i normally fish weightless baits for bream and trevally. I just wind down and lift to hook the fish. Hiding the point will get slightly more bites but much worse hook up.