• Announcements

• mrsswordfisherman

NEW LIKE BUTTON   12/27/2017

All posts now have a few reaction buttons Go ahead and like, hahaha, sad, confused etc on posts please ensure you keep posting and NOT just liking Enjoy!!
Sign in to follow this  
snapper_1

Downrigger weights

Hi  has anyone have experience with downriggers  and weights 

I'm  looking to buy one just need bit of advice on the bomb weight ,  normally fish Botany bay + close coast .

Thank  you 

depends on line weight  what you are trolling..lures ?? baits ..??size of lures or bait..depth..???  for live baits dead baits  large lures  up to 24kg I use 10lb round bomb with screw adjustable release clip...rick

3 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

depends on line weight  what you are trolling..lures ?? baits ..??size of lures or bait..depth..???  for live baits dead baits  large lures  up to 24kg I use 10lb round bomb with screw adjustable release clip...rick

Thanks mate .

Sorry to be a pest but what speed you troling  yakas /squid .

Thanks

yakkas don't handle speed as well as slimies..yakkas 2/3knts...slimes 3/4knts..squid will handle 4/5knts if rigged well....if in current sometimes with yakkas I just bump in an out of gear  so barely moving...the bomb is just to maintain depth...rick

For Botany Bay I would suggest you only need 4-6 lb bomb 8lb max. I suggest pancake bombs as they track better and don't roll around the floor if left on deck.

I have some here I could lend you to try before you buy in various weights, also have release clips.

Frank

Thanks mate appreciated your offer don't want to put you in all that trouble landing and stuff . 

I have the downrigger coming with some clips  .I  was thinking 6-8 lb too so I'll just buy one .

You know what they say( once you have a boat your hand will be always in the pocket )

Thanks for advice as well.

Steve 

I've been getting away with 5lb bombs pulling live baits in 30-40m.  I replaced the wire with braid as the wire hummed quite loadly often attracting sharks. Also if you find your weight getting to far behind the boat and to high in the water simply knock the engine out of gear every few minutes to keep the speed down.

i use a 12lb bomb.

i like to see it on my sounder, no blowback and can handle higher speeds ifbthe slow troll isnt working.

i start as slow as possible and get faster and faster if not getting hits.