• Announcements

• mrsswordfisherman

NEW LIKE BUTTON   12/27/2017

All posts now have a few reaction buttons Go ahead and like, hahaha, sad, confused etc on posts please ensure you keep posting and NOT just liking Enjoy!!
Sign in to follow this  
jdanger

Bondi luderick on fly

Had the day off so after chores (taking the dog for a walk) i decided the water looked good enough for a couple of beers and a flick off the rocks.

Took down the surf rod and some slices, as well as the fly rod and new reel incase i felt game to test drive it off the stones.

Fished from the top of the tide with the slugs for a while for zip. Retreating to my beer, i decided to try for blackies with the wand.

Rigged up using a bomber (weighted) fly with a trailing unweighted fly on the point. Unfortunately my weighted flies were nowhere near weighted enough so after watching them blow around near the surface for a few more casts i once again went back to the thinking can to consider my options.

"you gonna give up?" called one of the bathers, as i considered doing just that.

After explaining my predicament and insisting to incredulous ears that fish do indeed eat green wool, i remembered an olive baited breath that a mate gave me for bream but which i found too heavy for the estuary application at the time.

Perfect! It was heavy and olive which is close enough to green. I replaced the bomber and was back at the ledge.

First cast and i'm happy with the sink. The fly line does something funny and i strike, lifting into the unmistakable headshakes of a blackie.

A short tussle later and i had dinner on the stones, a new species on fly, a freshly blooded reel, and congratulations from the onlookers.

IMG_20180205_182221_132.thumb.jpg.e0c9f60cc82af7a7c7491a2a1f41a8ef.jpg

I get heaps on flies  i fish two traces under float  1 with cabbage the other a fly  these are on size 8 hooks  three diferent shades of green to match fiffereny spots weed

20161020_070734.jpg

Mate, solid catch on a fly outfit.

I have the EXACT same flies I use em when the weed collection is a bit tough - they work a treat when the blackies are fired up. Drummer love em too off the stones.

Good on ya for showing that bather asking if you're going to give up <_<

Edit: forgot to add - bread flies work well too off the rocks. Have never fly fished with them but use them sometimes with a traditional luderick float rig.

Edited by Kracka