blaxland

Lures to replace whitebait

Hi Raiders,

It seems the Kings in sydney harbour are eating whitebait and getting fussy any suggestions for a lure to use in this situation. Can find the fish need them to strike.

3 inch bass minnow in pearl/watermelon or pearl blue on a 1/4' jig head with a very fast retrieve. Worked for me!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jewhunter said:

3 inch bass minnow in pearl/watermelon or pearl blue on a 1/4' jig head with a very fast retrieve. Worked for me!

Thanks I got a minnow will have to go with that now

zerek tango shad.... the tight shimmy action drives the kingys mad on a rapid twitching retrieve.... only downside you have to fish light

Barrel sinker painted white running onto a treble.

Small metal slugs.

• Like 2

Small ‘eyes’ fly behind a sinker.

when they get fussy sometimes nothing will make them strike, especially at this time year when they’e been hammered for a while.

I used to use 'white heatshrink' on small barrel sinkers,  worked a treat !!!!

Great_White

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Great_White said:

I used to use 'white heatshrink' on small barrel sinkers,  worked a treat !!!!

Great_White

Great idea!

• Thanks 1

used to use these little fellas in Nz made from mylar on the whitebait run usually targeting Albacore/Sea Trout/Kings  , normally used on the fly rod but have seen the old fellas use 3 of them set up  like a jig/sabiki style :) Related image

• Like 1

when they come in the estuary here they seem to have blinkers on and they wont eat anything over 40mm and it has to be expensive the more expensive it is the more they try and eat it can get frustrating when you're bream spinning

11 hours ago, CJay said:

used to use these little fellas in Nz made from mylar on the whitebait run usually targeting Albacore/Sea Trout/Kings  , normally used on the fly rod but have seen the old fellas use 3 of them set up  like a jig/sabiki style :) Related image

I got a fly that matches  tried it behind a bubble float but no takers so far. Dont have a fly rod

All the Kings I have been getting on small  slugs

Edited by masterfisho7

You can see who are the cheapskates  :lol:  (Rick and Berleyguts) using barrel sinkers and not spending money on a good lure.

Yes, it sometimes does work.

As for a cheap tailor lure, a long shank hook on a small piece of wire trace, and a piece of white cloth wrapped around the hook.

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

You can see who are the cheapskates  :lol:  (Rick and Berleyguts) using barrel sinkers and not spending money on a good lure.

Yes, it sometimes does work.

As for a cheap tailor lure, a long shank hook on a small piece of wire trace, and a piece of white cloth wrapped around the hook.

They match the hatch. 😏 They work. 🙂

26 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

They match the hatch. 😏 They work. 🙂

Amazing what works, and does not work , at times.

Sometimes I catch the kingies on  a yakka line, small piece of bait on a small hook and light line, when a well presented bait does not attract a sniff. White bread moulded around a hook also works well at times.

• Like 1