Botany Bay/ Georges River Jewfish

Katoe

Hey All

Will be heading out chasing my first elusive first Jew on Sat night. Plan will be get a spot at Bald Face point or Captain Cooks bridge burley up sit, wait and hope. The tide will be Low at 7ish and high a 1ish plan on trying for the long haul and fishing both changes providing I can put up with the weather.

Have read all the Jew fish advice and was hoping with all this rain about it might force the bait towards the mouth of the Georges and hopefully that will increase my chance of catching one of these elusive fish. Will be fishing a live yakka (hopefully) fresh squid and butterflied or strip bait while I flick a large plastic around.

Happy for some more advice if anyone can help improve my chances.

On another note have sounded a nice deep hole at the end of the runways would this spot be worth a try sometime have caught some nice tailor and some undersize squire there but have never fished it targeting Jew.

Cheers

Katoe

Quite a few jew have been caught in the hole you mentioned off the runways. All i can say to increase your chances are spend the afternoon or early evening gathering bait. squid, yakkas and mullet would be perfect. try any of the wharfs in the hacking for squid and yakkas. go and get yourself a couple of decent sized buckets and airaters also to keep the livies live, squid i find are hard to keep alive anyway so i usually get a few squid a couple of days before and up to when i target jews and the livies i get the same day/night.

good luck mate, im planning on going for a jew sesh too that night, but not at the popular/overfished/crowded spots you mentioned

oh yeah, be persistent with it and you will eventually be rewarded mate. and finally, if your yakkas are swimming, leave them out. dont keep reeling them back in and recasting as you may spook the jews if any are around and also may end up killing your live bait.

Guest stephanb79

Plenty of squid to be had in the bay atm, if ur having trouble finding them with your jigs..fish with sp's and theyl jump on.

Always yakkas in yarra bay

I can never find squid in botany bay I must be hopeless

Cheers guys we managed one nice bait sized squid and some Yakkas and Pike for livies and butterfly baits but alas no Jews bought in that night.

Thanks for all the advice and hopefully I get back out again ASAP

If your fishing for your first Jew id try The Cooks out, imo holds more fish than the spots you mentioned although they are usually soapies/schoolies but you get the added bonus of nobody fishing there most nights. Great spot to catch your first one.