Myall Lakes

Dalucius

Hi Everyone

I have a houseboat booked at Myall Lakes and was wondering if anyone knows anything about the lake.

I hear it's not open to the ocean and was wondering if there are any fish in it.

Hopefully someone can give me some info on it.

Thanks

Dal

Hey mate, I fished the lakes when I was younger. There were plenty of fish in it when I went there as a kid.

Great for flatties, whiting, bream but best of all was the prawning and blue swimmer crabs. I think Smiths lake is where fisheries are doing the jewfish restocking project I will find out for you as the jewies were released up there about 2 1/2 years ago.

Good luck and I look forward to the report :thumbup:

The Myall lakes is brackish in most parts, but it is also connected to the ocean (vaguely) via Tea Gardens and Port Stephens. The palce is not renowned for its fishing qualities. You can catch Bream and Flathead there, just don't get to excited about anything big...

Smith Lakes also has a much better connection to the ocean.

LW

• 4 months later...

Sorry this is so late but I just came across these pictures and thought you might like a look.

We booked the houseboat through holiday auctions so we had left it till the last minute to take the trip, hence the weekend we wanted was booked and we had to take what was left.

Arrived Friday about 3pm, started to sprinkle rain while we loaded up the houseboat with our ‘lorry’ amount of stuff. (for 4 people).

Night 1. Anchored where we were advised to at the mouth of the river. Did circles around anchor all night in the wind and rain.

Day 1. Motored to the far end of the lake and was moored there till Sunday morning 6.30am

Day 2. We got a call from the hire place to say they had to come and collect our car keys because the river was flooding and our car would float away. When the heard we were at the far end of the lake system they asked us to return to the centre near the ferry and moor there. So we headed back in rain and gale winds. They phoned later to say they had towed the car as water was rising too fast.

Day3. They were going to collect us in a ‘dingy’ from Myall Shore Resort but we all decided to venture into the weather and attempt to go back up the river.

Things we learnt that weekend.

1. Park car on high ground

2. A prawn on your line can be untouched for 2 days

3. How to navigate without any visual markers and by using map and compass only

4. Channel markers have numbers on them.

5. Commercial fisherman net in all weather

6. Don’t have more than 4 people on a houseboat if it is raining all the time

7. Take lots of games and DVD’s. Oh yeah and food.

post-1141-1168484846_thumb.jpg post-1141-1168484819_thumb.jpg

post-1141-1168484861_thumb.jpg post-1141-1168484877_thumb.jpg

post-1141-1168484896_thumb.jpg

And the commercial fisherman pulling in his net in torrential rain and gale force winds.

post-1141-1168484907_thumb.jpg

post-1141-1168485192_thumb.jpg