Murramarang (South Durras)

Ian J

Has any body used the boat ramp at the Murramarang resort at Durras?

Managed to score my self a on site van, at lakesea caravan park which is 5min away and would be handy to use.

Ramp is a beach launch with a concrete ramp, any thoughts experiences, low tide, etc

Most people are saying that it is only a small craft ramp

Boat is a 6m plate boat

Hopefully will be wetting the hull next weekend with the family if anybody's heading out/around or would like to set me in the right direction (haven't fish out of here before :Batemans bay" will be using the hanging rock ramp)

Cheers

Ian

Been years since I been there bit I remember if swell was up or from wrong direction it was a tricky ramp and its possible to get into trouble.

No idea if its been upgraded since but I reckon your boat would be ok there.

Call the camping ground and enquire.

mate it depends are you talking about the depot beach launch or north durras or south durras launch

depot beach is a tough option in any condition and is at most recommended for zodiacs

north durras boat ramp has long since seen its best days and is now more a clay track than a boat ramp

south durras is a far better ramp leading down from a high quality caravan park it is still relatively well maintained

however all of this may be useless as when i spoke to mates down there and when i was there bout 8 months ago the lake was closed.

any other questions feel free to give us a holla as im down there generally 2-3 times a year a nice spot very quiet for 11 months of the year.

Hi Ian,

I've got a 560c barcrusher and live at Batemans Bay. I wouldn't use the ramp to launch my boat. Not to say it can't be done. Depends on tide, wind, sea etc. If you have a 4wd you may be better launching off the beach. Just have to check it on the day I guess. The ramp is well maintained but it's reliant on conditions.

As for the fishing, the lake is open but I haven't fished it for a while. The bottom bashing has been good. Snapper are in real close feeding on dead cuttlefish or out on the wider reefs 50 - 60m or so. There are a heap of big mowies and pig fish on pretty much all reefs at the moment so you should have a ball. Good luck with it.

Dave

P.S. Just saw you we're here on the weekend jsut gone. Sorry about that. How did you go?

Edited by Croydon

Thanks Croydon

No heading down this weekend hopefully Saturday, if the weather is good.

Having the Family will stop me heading out to far, was just going to try the flathead drift between snapper island and the toll gates, or is their any good reefs need by.

Have heard good reports so hopefully will be able to catch a few for the table.

Are you heading out on the weekend ?

As for the south Durras ramp might need to check it out a few more times.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

No probably won't get out this weekend, it's grandfinal time of year and so the weekends pretty much out for me. There's always plenty of flatties where you mention but usually most under size. Head out a bit further east of the tollgates and between black rock, into about 40m. Sound around and you should find some good patches of reef holding fish. Just make sure your outside the sanctuary zones. If you want to go a little north past yellow rock at the northern end of the bay, head towards the bommie off Richmond Reef or out a bit wide of this, into about 30m and some good ground there. You could also try in close to some of the headlands at the northern end of Malua Bay beach, can be good for snapper. There has been plenty of bait around snapper island, sound out a patch, berley with bread and you should have heaps of yakkas and slimies in no time. Have a look at the ramp at Durras, conditions may just be right and you'll save yourself a long drive into town. Good luck and hope you have a good weekend.

Dave

Thanks Dave

I'll have a look at the maps and give them a try.

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

If you are around and see a white boat with Piscator on the side say hello

Good luck in the grand finals

Cheers

Ian

Will do Ian, if you get stuck and can't find too much give me a ring and I'll see if I can help out. Wife's got hockey, neighbours kids afl and I've got soccer next weekend. A busy time of year! South/North Durras are my favourite fishing grounds. If the weather is good head up there it's a great spot. Hope you have a great time.

Dave

• 10 years later...

I had to photograph the tourist park there not to long ago and it was pretty shallow. People were launching 4.5m boats from there at the time but can't honestly say if you could or couldn't of launched, also it might be different by now. Each time Ive been there its always seemed relatively protected.

On 11/5/2021 at 4:56 PM, Bc1 said:

Hey Guys 

Has anyone used Murramarang beach ramp in 2021? looking at launching a bar 615ht from it?

Recent pics looks like it has been upgraded.

We were actually there earlier this year at the caravan park and commented on the ramp. 
Definitely only suitable for boats under 5m 

We had some great prawn runs at North Durras

12 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

We had some great prawn runs at North Durras

Donna,

Were you wading and scooping off the bottom, or were the prawns on the run?

The New Age club has a social meeting at Pambula in early March, so I was looking at stopping off somewhere along the way.

Dave.