Allow Me To Introduce Myself

mrsswordfisherman

On 2/3/2019 at 12:39 AM, P_Konrad said:

Hello Fish raiders,

My name is Paul, I am a 40=> year old. i have been fishing since I was a little kid. Been thru lifes ups and down's and now enjoy the simple things in life such fishing and compound bow shooting. When I was a kid about 11 I put a float into a flooded Duck river at Auburn and pulled out a carp half the size of me at about 50 cm. What a shock that was in such a polluted creek. My other PB's are a 1m wobbygong at Port Stephens, 50cm Flathead in the Hawkesbury and 1m Hairtail at Stockton break wall. I have fished mostly around Sydeny and Newcastle. I am looking forward to buying a 3m tinnie in the furure to drift for Flathead, Bream, Hairtail Squid, Shark, Crabs and Jewfish in the Hawkesbury in the coming future. I love the info this sight has to offer. Thank's for having me aboard Fishraider's.

Kindest regards Paul.

Welcome to FishRaider Paul.

Looking forward to your reports in the future.

Cheers

Rah

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

'When xx calls (insert wife, kids, boss, clients, customers, bank manager) tell 'em I'm in Ah Me Ting" 😉

Ah Me Ting, that's my handle, call sign and name of our boat (Quintrex 420 Renegade TS with 50hp Tohatsu)

Hi, I'm Dean, Deano, or as has stuck with me Wingnut (yep, I grew into my ears)

I'm married with a teenage daughter. Living on the Tweed Coast now, but grew up on the mighty Camden Haven.

As a kid I'd ride my bike down and fish the tides in the afternoon (surfed every morning while winds offshore) for leather jacket. Had it sussed and eventually ended up with a little tinnie. Had to pester mum to take me to the boat ramp and would go out chasing flathead. I remember going night fishing off a local bridge with my grandfather, and mum, catching flathead on the run up tide, from under the bridge. I still remember picking up an old dry scungy bit of pilchard off the walkway (we always fished with prawns), putting it on my hook, casting out and landing a monster 70cm flathead ... We had to walk off the bridge and up the river bank to land it because my rod and line were too light.

In the last 10 years, now with my own little family we started with land based fishing. My Gidget (daughter, Gidget is a young female surfer) had her first surfboard at 9 months and a fishing rod (awesome 2' ugly stick that lasted years) at 2.

About 9 years ago, our neighbour decided to sell an old tinnie he had, so I grabbed it. Had an old 15hp Johnson which I knew had been underwater at one stage, so I updated the motor to an 18hp Tohatsu and used it for a couple of years. As my Gidget grew, we needed more space, and freeboard, so I upgraded the hull to a Stessco Squire 385. That lasted us 7 years, and now as my daughter is a teenager, we upgraded again to a Quintrex Renegade 420 TS with a 50hp Tohatsu.

I fish alone, with mates, and with the family. We also use the boat for family days out (picnic on the water, swimming, snorkeling, etc), tubing (take daughter and her friends, we have a bbq with the other parents etc.) and of course family fishing.

Every family fishing trip we have a competition with awards for "first fish" (that's the one most fiercely contested because it can't be lost during the day), "most fish" (bragging rights plus!), "biggest fish" (often a lucky dip, but bragging rights aplenty) and "most species" (known at times as the ugliest fish award).

Family fishing is usually targeted at Bream to keep the competition flowing. On my own, I target flathead in the estuary and anything bigger on the reefs off the Tweed Coast. With the old boat I was limited to really good calm days, but the new 420 Renegade will handle a bit more, so I'm hoping to be out there more. Look out Blackies reef and Windarra banks!

I still surf most mornings, so fishing is impacted by weather more due to onshore winds. The new 420 Renegade should handle the light onshores OK, and well, there is always the rivers!

I do tend to get OCD, and will fish crazy and then just get 'over it'. So I might then have to dust off the golf clubs, or head away camping.

Either way, too much fun to be had outdoors in or on the water!

Great forum you have here, so looking forward to contributing and learning!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ah Me Ting said:

'When xx calls (insert wife, kids, boss, clients, customers, bank manager) tell 'em I'm in Ah Me Ting" 😉

Ah Me Ting, that's my handle, call sign and name of our boat (Quintrex 420 Renegade TS with 50hp Tohatsu)

Hi, I'm Dean, Deano, or as has stuck with me Wingnut (yep, I grew into my ears)

I'm married with a teenage daughter. Living on the Tweed Coast now, but grew up on the mighty Camden Haven.

As a kid I'd ride my bike down and fish the tides in the afternoon (surfed every morning while winds offshore) for leather jacket. Had it sussed and eventually ended up with a little tinnie. Had to pester mum to take me to the boat ramp and would go out chasing flathead. I remember going night fishing off a local bridge with my grandfather, and mum, catching flathead on the run up tide, from under the bridge. I still remember picking up an old dry scungy bit of pilchard off the walkway (we always fished with prawns), putting it on my hook, casting out and landing a monster 70cm flathead ... We had to walk off the bridge and up the river bank to land it because my rod and line were too light.

In the last 10 years, now with my own little family we started with land based fishing. My Gidget (daughter, Gidget is a young female surfer) had her first surfboard at 9 months and a fishing rod (awesome 2' ugly stick that lasted years) at 2.

About 9 years ago, our neighbour decided to sell an old tinnie he had, so I grabbed it. Had an old 15hp Johnson which I knew had been underwater at one stage, so I updated the motor to an 18hp Tohatsu and used it for a couple of years. As my Gidget grew, we needed more space, and freeboard, so I upgraded the hull to a Stessco Squire 385. That lasted us 7 years, and now as my daughter is a teenager, we upgraded again to a Quintrex Renegade 420 TS with a 50hp Tohatsu.

I fish alone, with mates, and with the family. We also use the boat for family days out (picnic on the water, swimming, snorkeling, etc), tubing (take daughter and her friends, we have a bbq with the other parents etc.) and of course family fishing.

Every family fishing trip we have a competition with awards for "first fish" (that's the one most fiercely contested because it can't be lost during the day), "most fish" (bragging rights plus!), "biggest fish" (often a lucky dip, but bragging rights aplenty) and "most species" (known at times as the ugliest fish award).

Family fishing is usually targeted at Bream to keep the competition flowing. On my own, I target flathead in the estuary and anything bigger on the reefs off the Tweed Coast. With the old boat I was limited to really good calm days, but the new 420 Renegade will handle a bit more, so I'm hoping to be out there more. Look out Blackies reef and Windarra banks!

I still surf most mornings, so fishing is impacted by weather more due to onshore winds. The new 420 Renegade should handle the light onshores OK, and well, there is always the rivers!

I do tend to get OCD, and will fish crazy and then just get 'over it'. So I might then have to dust off the golf clubs, or head away camping.

Either way, too much fun to be had outdoors in or on the water!

Great forum you have here, so looking forward to contributing and learning!

Welcome to Fishraider Deano,

Looking forward to your reports, especially who gets the bragging rights for first fish.

Cheers

Rah

• Like 1

A big warm welcome Dean. This is the No 1 forum for fishos so no doubt you will learn a few things and hopefully teach the rest of us a few things too. Looking forward to seeing your regular contributions to the forum. Cheers, bn (aka old fart who fishes freshwater for Murray Cod).

• Like 1

Hi I’m Brett I work in the heavy vehicle industry as a spare parts interpreter,  

have a little girl who is turning 2 and a fiancé who both like trying to fish when I go.

i have been fishing since I was young grew up around gunnedah fishing keepit dam and then moved to the Newcastle area where i got hooked to salt water and jetty and harbour fishing shore based but have moved back out west Dubbo way where I call home for now, I’m always up for meeting new people and flicking a line I’m not a precessional just an amateur who wants to learn new skills and techniques.

drop me a message is your keen to catch up sink a few beers and have a fish 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Quaylebird said:

Hi I’m Brett ... 

... since I was young grew up around gunnedah fishing keepit dam ...

Welcome aboard Brett.

I've only ever fished freshwater 3 times in my life and caught nudda, zip, zero, zilch.

If I ever venture near fresh again, I'll hit you up for some tactics because, for me No fish = more beer = hangover. As I get older I don't do hungover well. Even less so being hours from the nearest KFC !!! 

PS: keep ya eye on the new 'fishing memories' thread. I'll be posting a pic you'll appreciate given the age of your daughter. 😉

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow Raiders,

My name is Kevin, I’m an Englishman married to a wonderful Australian. We decided to move back to her home town of Newcastle (hence the username) 2 years ago, our rescue dog came too.  15 years of hard graft owning a classic car restoration company in London, no down time to enjoy hobbies and the knowledge of the better lifestyle here in Oz made it an easy decision.

Three generations of my family before me were all seafarers and I spent many of my younger years sailing and exploring the south coast of England on a yacht. I grew up in Southampton which has a very nautical history. Fresh water fishing was a passion of mine and spent valuable time with my grandfather learning the ropes. In my mid twenties I became converted to salt water fishing through a friend of a friend.  He was looking for a buddy with a bit of sea knowledge to accompany him on his new 16ft cuddly. Over the years and many missions later we tried to raise our game towards fishing but trying to catch fish in English waters is like looking for a needle in a haystack! The amount of time trolling just for slimies for crab/lobster pot bait and fuel burnt now seems crazy. Twice we ventured out into the Atlantic to the Isles of Scilly for a two week fishing break. Towing the boat through the night for 8 hours to Penzance followed by a 60km sea crossing built special memories for us both, 18 months ago he was my best man and we relived these adventurous missions of past by renting a boat and trying our hand around Port Stephens and Broughton. Not too many fish but whales and calfs breaching just metres from the boat is something we will both cherish.

I’ve learnt so much and many new fishing techniques since moving here through friends, family and this wonderful forum. I enjoy all types of fishing, from bass in Lostock or Glenbawn to beach fishing Stockton and Blacksmiths. I’ve spent many an hour with my brother in law around PS and lake Mac flicking plastics in his tinny.  Last winter and after much research, I bit the bullet and treated myself to a Seafarer Vsea. (Thanks @rickmarlin62) we’ve been out in some horrible seas and I have to forget my English mentality that there are too many good weather days here to brave the elements ‘pommy’ style even though the boat is very capable.My BiL and I have now spent time going further afield from Swansea down past Norah head and up to Broughton. Slowly we are gaining confidence in our techniques and knowledge and reaping the rewards, hence I now feel that I have something to contribute to you fellow  Raiders!

Reports to follow,

Kev aka NovocastriPom

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Raider comrades,

My name is Matt.  I’m a mid thirties Seppi who's been living in the Sutherland shire for the past 3 years.  I come from a tech background but am a jack of all trades and master of maybe one. 😝 Most of my time outside of work is spent chasing around my 2 year old daughter and doing housework. Aside from fishing, I love hiking, swimming, climbing, basketball, carpentry, welding and general tinkering. It's been crazy at times but I rather enjoy my new life in Sydney and feel very lucky to live in such a beautiful part of the world.

I grew up in suburban Philadelphia and spent most of my adult life split between New York City and northern California. 

As a child and into my teens, I always enjoyed fishing and exploring the various lakes and creeks in my area, as well as the Delaware and Lehigh rivers via foot and kayak. We used to target shad during their yearly run, Brown trout, rainbows, bass, walleye, stripers etc. It was always good fun but often time either feast or famine as these water systems had been very overfished and generally still recovering from years of pollution before conservation came to the political forefront in my lifetime.

I was lucky enough to have a father, uncle and grandfather whom all owned boats and beach houses spread between long island NY, South Jersey and Maryland. Growing up, most of my summers were spent fishing for flounder, stripers and Tailor (Bluefish in Yankee) in the bays, throwing crabpots off the boat or the local wharfs, walking in the sandbars for clams to clamp onto my toes, and jetty casting for big Tarpons (great fight but not worth eating).

In my adult life, I've kept this love and in the past ten years, targeted Kings, salmon and steelhead while living in the US wild west As well as learning to fly fish (with limited success and proficiency)

In the first couple of years since moving here most of my life has been occupied with learning my new surroundings and adjusting to family life with a toddler. I hadn't went for my fishing licence and didn't have any gear over here.  About a year and a half ago, I decided I wanted to throw my hat in the ring and reclaim one of my life's passions.. I got my fishing licence, and sank several thousand on some decent estuary gear and a kayak with a sounder. Unfortunately the wife wasn't so keen on a boat purchase, but she'll come around one day.

In my quest for understanding fishing my area (generally from Kiama up to the Harbour but focused on the RNP and the hacking) i googled everything from productive fishing grounds to bait collection yorigs to fish tendencies to effective lures and techniques. In these never ending searches, a common thread emerged- most of my high quality information was coming from this forum. I started monitoring the site for new posts over a year ago then joined a few months later.  As I feel that I now have a better understanding on what I'm doing now and have the urge to network with other fishos both digitally and in person (would love to find someone to teach me the ropes rockfishing, a hacking kayak mate or to crew up on a boat inshore or offshore), I felt like it was time to unveil myself.  Reports and interaction to come!

-Matt 

Welcome to Fishraider Matt. 

Its no surprise to me that when you google for fishing information that this site pops up! 

Some very experienced fishos on here that are only to willing to help others! 

Good luck with your endeavours. 

Cheers scratchie mod team! 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Mat.

If you haven't already done so you can do a search via the site search tab which gives you access to a great resource of information on your area, the way it is fished  & the people who frequent it.

Apart from locational details from there you can make personal connections & try your luck by sending PM's.

Good luck with you fishing endeavours here 👍

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2019 at 9:09 PM, Quaylebird said:

Hi I’m Brett I work in the heavy vehicle industry as a spare parts interpreter,  

have a little girl who is turning 2 and a fiancé who both like trying to fish when I go.

i have been fishing since I was young grew up around gunnedah fishing keepit dam and then moved to the Newcastle area where i got hooked to salt water and jetty and harbour fishing shore based but have moved back out west Dubbo way where I call home for now, I’m always up for meeting new people and flicking a line I’m not a precessional just an amateur who wants to learn new skills and techniques.

drop me a message is your keen to catch up sink a few beers and have a fish 

Hi Brett and welcome to Fishraider. This is a fantastic site where we all can pass on knowledge and learn from our peers. I have a daughter in Wellington and visit when time permits. I will PM my number to you and you may return yours. May be able to catch up when I'm up your way. Cheers, bn

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, jnrfinatic said:

Gday, my names Adem or Adam, Adem for Turkish and Adam for English. I've got a family of 6, 1 mum, 1 dad, 2 sisters and 1 brother(and me) and I'm 11, turning 12 this year. I've been fishing since I was about 3 and my best fish is a 72cm Jew and weight wise a 8.5kg snapper. I enjoy outdoor activities and Youtube. 

Dads been fishing for about 25-30 yrs and he goes out every week. He recently bought my brother and I a, Haines Hunter Seawasp and 2 other Haines Hunters and we are fixing the wasp up at the moment. So far so good!👍👍. Love this community because of the Positivity and keeping updated on fishing reports and everything in between. Dad also introduced me to fishing. 

I love fishing for squid and live baiting for kings using the squid. 

I'm also a sporting type of kid and I love playing sports like oztag, footy and just running in general( and fishing)😂😂

Adem(Jnrfinatic)

Welcome aboard Adem 👍

20 hours ago, jnrfinatic said:

Gday, my names Adem or Adam, Adem for Turkish and Adam for English. I've got a family of 6, 1 mum, 1 dad, 2 sisters and 1 brother(and me) and I'm 11, turning 12 this year. I've been fishing since I was about 3 and my best fish is a 72cm Jew and weight wise a 8.5kg snapper. I enjoy outdoor activities and Youtube. 

Dads been fishing for about 25-30 yrs and he goes out every week. He recently bought my brother and I a, Haines Hunter Seawasp and 2 other Haines Hunters and we are fixing the wasp up at the moment. So far so good!👍👍. Love this community because of the Positivity and keeping updated on fishing reports and everything in between. Dad also introduced me to fishing. 

I love fishing for squid and live baiting for kings using the squid. 

I'm also a sporting type of kid and I love playing sports like oztag, footy and just running in general( and fishing)😂😂

Adem(Jnrfinatic)

Welcome to FishRaider Adem,

Looking forward to your reports and posts about the Wasp.

Cheers

Rah

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, TAZ said:

Hi guys. From Victoria. Love my fishing in any way be it freshwater or salt. No boat, just a land based. Cheers to you all.

Hi TAZ. Welcome aboard! I freshwater fish the rivers and (occasionally) dams of Southern NSW so only 3 hrs from Victoria. Have fished the Gippsland area (Ports Albert and Welshpool). Where do you fish and what do you target mostly? Cneers, bn

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi TAZ. Welcome aboard! I freshwater fish the rivers and (occasionally) dams of Southern NSW so only 3 hrs from Victoria. Have fished the Gippsland area (Ports Albert and Welshpool). Where do you fish and what do you target mostly? Cneers, bn

Thanks mate. Trout and redfin in the freshwater. I live not far from Ballarat. Am planning a trip within the next month if we get a decent weather break, down to Port Fairy with the misses for several days. I love throwing lures so will go for anything that hits them, not fussy. I'll try later to post a picture of a trout I got at the start of autumn. Apparently the file was to big when I tried and I have to shrink it. 

• Thanks 1