Targeting Yellow Fin Tuna on the Shelf

matt_and_fish

Hi Raiders, new here so sorry if i have made a wrong topic title or put this under the wrong forum, if i have just comment and i will obviously just shift it or whatever that needs to be done.

So in regards to what i am asking.

On the Monday the 18th (next week) i am going out with four mates to target Yellow Fin Tuna. We plan to get livies very early around 0330 and 0445, then head offshore. However i do have one concern that could stop me from going is the fact that i am not so familiar with the continental shelf and where it starts and ends, plus how to fish it. I have absorbed a lot of information of the other forums and some topics very similar to mine, yet still struggle to understand just how far out or close it is to the coastline. Some tell me it is 10 kilometres, where others tell me it is 100 kilometres.

The only thing that most people that are going out there at the moment tell me is that Yellow Fin Tuna are on the chew at the shelf at the moment. So with all that said, could any of you experienced anglers point me in the right direction.

- Forgot to add, I am based in the Port Hacking River, Cronulla

Thanks

Matt - Newbie

Edited by matt_and_fish

Fishing for tuna is not just guessing it is very scientific these days and when reports start coming in you listen carefully.

Trolling bibless minnows and skirted lures around 8 knots will give you a chance if in the right spot and that is the problem being in the RIGHT SPOT so armed with his little bit of knowledge you can go forth but if I was you I would go out with someone who knows what they are doing first and gather information for your first attempt and then there is cubing with pilchards which is another kettle of fish again......you have a lot to learn grasshopper.

But in saying that you could troll out to Browns Mountain on your first go and get a triple hook up ...now that would be something to see.

Browns Is about 40klms out and you need a very seaworthy boat around 6 metres plus to attempt that trip and plenty of sea time...NOTE NOT FOR FIRST TIMERS

If you don't have all the necessary gear you will need to spend plenty on good quality 50lb game gear and lures and our site sponsor SCENT BLAZER has top notch paks that work so contact Pete for some good advice

If you don't have all the necessary gear you will need to spend plenty on good quality 50lb game gear and lures and our site sponsor SCENT BLAZER has top notch paks that work so contact Pete for some good advice

Thankyou, am already talking with 'Scent Blazer'. Thanks

You'll need to go a bit further than the shelf.

Out of sydney - they are being caught just past browns. So you're looking at about 30km out - keep in mind that you don't just drive to that 30km, pull up and catch a tuna though. You get to that 30km and zig-zag around for a while until you find something.

A few fish are being caught around Southern Canyons too, on an ideal day I'd probably go down to the southern canyons and troll up to Browns.

BUT the most important thing to remember is that there has to be fish there to catch, so you can make the trip out and end up with zero's - which is what happened to 50 odd boats at batemans last sunday.

Start reading up on Altimetry and Sea Surface Temperatures, this will give you the best idea of what the fish are doing (next to first hand reports).

How far offshore have you been previously?

You'll need to go a bit further than the shelf.

Out of sydney - they are being caught just past browns. So you're looking at about 30km out - keep in mind that you don't just drive to that 30km, pull up and catch a tuna though. You get to that 30km and zig-zag around for a while until you find something.

A few fish are being caught around Southern Canyons too, on an ideal day I'd probably go down to the southern canyons and troll up to Browns.

BUT the most important thing to remember is that there has to be fish there to catch, so you can make the trip out and end up with zero's - which is what happened to 50 odd boats at batemans last sunday.

Start reading up on Altimetry and Sea Surface Temperatures, this will give you the best idea of what the fish are doing (next to first hand reports).

How far offshore have you been previously?

I have usually stuck between cronulla and 3 quarters to the FAD, But am hoping to increase that as i get more experienced to where fish are and how to catch them

Which fad? The hacking wide fad? That's a decent way out!

My experience has been (providing weather doesn't go ugly), once you're out that far it's all pretty much the same.

The things you have to look out for are your sense of direction and fuel level. It's easy to mess both of those up when you can't see the land!

Just make sure you know how much fuel you'll need and use the rule of thirds 1/3 for the way there, 1/3 for the way back and 1/3 spare.

Regarding how to fish the shelf, pretty much the same as you'd fish 3/4 to the fad - drag around some lure's and pray you're in the right spot!

I'll probably be running this spread for tuna next time I get out wide.

- Rapala Xrap 30 / Laser Pro

- Black Bart Pelaegic Breakfast

- Richter Dorado

- Zucker Feather

Just make sure you've got a plan and know the areas most likely to hold fish :)

Which fad? The hacking wide fad? That's a decent way out!

My experience has been (providing weather doesn't go ugly), once you're out that far it's all pretty much the same.

The things you have to look out for are your sense of direction and fuel level. It's easy to mess both of those up when you can't see the land!

Just make sure you know how much fuel you'll need and use the rule of thirds 1/3 for the way there, 1/3 for the way back and 1/3 spare.

Regarding how to fish the shelf, pretty much the same as you'd fish 3/4 to the fad - drag around some lure's and pray you're in the right spot!

I'll probably be running this spread for tuna next time I get out wide.

- Rapala Xrap 30 / Laser Pro

- Black Bart Pelaegic Breakfast

- Richter Dorado

- Zucker Feather

Just make sure you've got a plan and know the areas most likely to hold fish :)

Yes i think its the Hacking wide, thankyou for your tips