Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 05/23/2020 in all areas

  1. 4 points
    Not long after joining a fishing club- the NSW A.F.A (then meeting at Canterbury) we started fishing the rocks and within a couple of months were invited to go 'down' the Mattens cliff with one of the veteran members of the club- Wally McLuckie, who lived in North Bondi. Wally had been fishing the Mattens for many years and although in his 'veteran' years (his words not mine!) he was still a regular and fished there every week, relying on fresh fish for a couple of meals per week. As reigning Sydney Metro Veteran rock champion (about 7 or so times) he always got enough fish for a few feeds, taking basically what he needed for himself and his wife. Blackfish were his regular target by day on the lower platforms, but come late afternoon he'd get himself a couple of Bream or have a fish for Snapper. Night time excursions were only about Snapper- anything else was "bi-catch"- why would you stay on the rocks of a night for anything else? was his creed. Wally pretty much only used three different baits for his Snapper fishing, Garfish he caught himself, Blackfish gut and Squid that he used when the Cuttlefish die and float around inshore after spawning each August (he'd of course use Cuttlefish if he could get a fresh one, but Squid were more readily available). The Garfish he mainly caught by trolling for them out of his canoe, either around Neilsen Park in Sydney Harbour or down at Batemans Bay where his holiday house was, often catching enough for both a feed and for bait. Squid were usually around at the Mattens just before dawn to pre-sun up and the Blackfish gut was from both his own fish and from everyone else who didn't want to keep theirs. For the Garfish, a set of 4 x 5/0's ganged hooks, with the gut or the Squid, just a single 5/0 or 6/0 Suicide. No lead ever, no matter which of the several Mattens spots he was fishing, the gut, a whole Squid or a big chunk of rarely obtained Cuttlefish, was always heavy enough to throw out on his heavy hand-line. Yep, hand-line! Whether fishing a low platform or high up on a perch, Wally used an old hand-line for his Snapper fishing. It was 45 lb and pretty thick gauge and as we were to find out later, very stretchy. One night, during Sydney's annual rock fishing championships, the sea continued to rise. As the tide got higher, we had to retire to our cave, well away from the sea, as it became too dangerous to fish any of the lower spots. Wally and another guy named Max- of roughly the same vintage as Wally- were quick to realise that of the two high spots, only one would be worth fishing. "Magpie" as we knew it (others called it "Scarecrow") was a ledge that sat about 50 odd feet above the water, it protrudes out about 20 feet from the cliff wall and you could fish straight down into about 40 or so feet of water. Wally and Max went up on Magpie well before dark and were out of our line of sight. To get up to Magpie, which was well above our cave level, first off, you had to climb about 8 feet up a single thick rope, dangling freely off an overhang adjacent the cave. There were two big knots tied, about two feet above each other, that you used for "steps" to squeeze both feet around. Then reach above and take hold of the three steel pegs the rope was tied to and pull yourself up. A short scramble over a couple of bits of fallen ledge and follow the wind-eroded natural archway that got so narrow, you had to face in towards the cliff and shuffle carefully along while leaning in- about a 50 ft drop behind you to the sea. Where there were protruding bits of ledge that blocked you seeing your feet and the "path" narrowed to about 7-8 inches, someone in years past had chiselled a hole and cemented a steel peg in, which you grabbed with your left hand, giving at least something to hold onto, then about 4 feet further along a second peg, just in reach after swapping hands during the shuffle. Once past the second peg, the path widened to about 2 feet, but there were head and chest high protrusions you had to be careful of, bumping one could send you over the edge. I actually fractured my skull (hairline fracture) on one of these protrusions a few years later than this night, but that's another story! On reaching the fishing perch, which was just a wind eroded "cut" in the cliff wall, there was about a fifteen foot long by 6 foot wide space, reasonably flat, with just a little bit of protruding ledge against the cliff wall, which acted as a sort of table to keep your gear on. Care always had to be taken moving around at all on Magpie, as there were uneven bits underfoot, and bits of wall sticking out here and there. Definitely not a place to stumble or trip, and a fall would most likely be fatal, even though you'd land in deep water, there was nowhere below to get out for about 70-80 yards and even then, there was the Mattens only "permanent" wash between Magpie and the lowest ledge called "Bombie", where the water was always pulling outwards from the shore. As Wally and Max (Max wasn't a club member nor fishing the comp) hadn't been sighted for a few hours and we were unable to fish, the rest of the guys and I decided on going up to see how they were doing. We didn't take any fishing gear up, as there's only really enough room for about 3 fisher's on Magpie and no real way of casting anyway with sandstone walls and ceiling all around you. So eight of us climbed up and shuffled along to where Wally and Max were, to see Wally holding tightly to his hand-line and muttering something about "wrong bloody line". When comp fishing, you always want to be catching fish to weigh-in, so after trying first for Snapper with no luck, he'd put the heavy line away and got his "Bream" line out- which was about 20 lb or so- just thin enough to still get a few Bream when it's rough, but not too thin to haul them the 50 feet up to the ledge. A real nice Snapper had taken the Bream line and after playing it out completely, it was lying on the white-water surface straight below. On other nights, when not so rough, Wally had caught other big Snapper from Magpie, put his hand-line spool on his arm, shuffled back to above the permanent wash and skilfully washed the Snapper up on "Bombie" ledge and after climbing down, scurried out and retrieved them between waves. He lost a few, but he got plenty as well and they were nearly always big fish. This was a good one, but as the swell was up and Bombie wash pumping out, there was no chance of getting it that way. We all took turns and had a peek over at it, just lying there on the surface. Must be some way to get it? Everybody that fishes, has moments of "brilliance" where you manage to work out some way to either hook, fight or land (or all three at times!) fish that you really have no "right" to actually get- yet you do. This night, luckily for Wally, I had one of those moments. I looked at Max's fishing bag and already knowing Max carried all his "everywhere" fishing gear with him, asked him if he had a Mullet jag in his bag. He did! A Mullet jag, for those who don't know, was about an 8/0-12/0 treble, often with lead wrapped around the shank, which was used for casting out into the huge schools of migrating Mullet and ripped back into them. It was a popular practice for getting Mullet years ago, but rightly outlawed, as it inflicted dreadful injuries on fish and it was equally dangerous for anyone near the jagger's as the hook was "swiped" violently with sideways strokes of the rod, to snag the hapless Mullet anywhere the hook would land. Max got the old jag out- it was about a 10/0 old bronzed version, with a bit of lead wire wrapped around the shank in a couple of layers. Everyone looked at me, intrigued as to what my plan was- I actually didn't have a plan, just thought that somehow we might be able to "gaff" the Snapper with the jag and haul him up. As for the "gaff" line, we only had Wally's old 45 lb "Snapper" line. I got a big ball sinker from Max and put the 45 lb through it, around the line with the Snapper on it, then back through the ball sinker and tied the treble on. There's a small "V" shaped bit of the ledge on Magpie and club President Jim Clarke along with Frank T sat either side of the V with me at the point of the V and I slid the treble down into the darkness, you wouldn't read about it, without being able to see the Snapper, I jagged it first go. That was the easy part. Jim, Frank and I slowly and painfully started getting the Snapper up towards us. I say painfully, because the old line was cutting into our hands and was really stretchy- you'd get about a six inch lift each before whoever's hand was next, took hold below the one above. Without saying much at all, we slowly got the fish up, closer and closer to the V we sat around. Then after about 3-4 minutes of lifting, the fish was just below us. It hadn't even kicked once during the lift, but we all knew if it touched the V it would no doubt kick, which would have been too painful for we haulers, so decided to get it totally through the V before grabbing it. As it came into view, the jag was clearly visible, but not in the fish as we'd thought- it had hooked the front hook of Wally's two ganged hooks! We carefully got the fish through the V and it was secured! Wally was wrapped! We all marvelled at the fish, before deciding to go back down to the cave for a feed. Wally cut Max's jag and sinker off the heavy line and threw out a whole Gar on gangs (the first Snapper was on a Gar tail and 2 x ganged 3/0's) and we left he and Max behind to keep fishing. The sea was too big to fish again, so we were ready to go early next morning and Wally and Max came down from Magpie. After we'd left them with the Snapper, before we'd even gone out of sight, Wally got another one. This time, on the heavy line and he fought it out, then pulled it straight up by himself, it weighed 3.4 kg and those two fish and a Bream won him yet another Sydney title.
  2. 3 points
    Had a quick window after work to take the tub for a run down the local. Launched at Gosford just before dark and fished a spot that usually delivers. I was throwing a cross fire surface lure whilst the wife was flicking a little Samaki 85mm vibe in Ghost bait. Small hops off the bottom and a bit of scent is all that is required for these lures to become deadly on lizards. The wife came up tight and after a good fight on 8lb her PB lizard was in the boat. After a quick photo the fish was safely released.
  3. 2 points
    20/5/2020 Hairtail are here Finally I got to go out in my own boat (waited in line long enough)!!! Seat warmers all of you heh heh. Swordie picked a day that was half decent and we took off early for Bobbin Head. The conditions were perfect and we launched at Apple Tree Bay. There were plenty of other boats coming and going and swordie found it difficult to wait till the ramp was clear . We eased out through the 4 knot zone and hammered the Yammie up to 5000 rpm all the way to Jerusalem Bay. During the 20 minute trip we discussed the fishraider hairtail socials of the past and the great people we had met over the years. @Scratchie@Jnr Scratchie Excited we pulled up and anchored and saw a boat pulling up hairtail. They turned out to be raiders and we chatted and introduced ourselves. After 5 minutes of Stewy glaring at them hauling fish in he said to me "pull up your gear and we will tie up to their #$%&^& boat. He wanted to get out the Jolly Roger and grappling hooks and board their vessel argggggh Rods out again and nothing really but the other boat was still catching so we decided to stop and discuss tactics over a cuppa and a bacon and egg roll cooked by Stewy. He was fart arsing around cooking and I decided to fish again while waiting. Next minute I was poling them over the starboard side one after the other. He was screaming over my shoulder "the %^&%$# bacon is burning" and "get your own fish off" . More expletives and so I stopped fishing and ate my roll . Lucky for him the egg was runny and soft. All jokes aside we had a great fun night and my biggest was 1.3 m ANDDDDDD I outfished swordie We left at 7.30pm and headed home. Waratah Bay was lit up like a Christmas tree and we think we picked the right bay this time. Thanks @teddybear and his deckie for the laughs and the fun time. It was lovely to meet you both. We will be back when the weather picks up again.
  4. 2 points
  5. 2 points
    Great story Waza. All good rock fishos need a bit of McGuyver in them.
  6. 2 points
    Page 1 of 1 Media Release 22 May 2020 NSW OK Intrastate and Overnight Boating The Boating Industry Association (BIA) welcomes the move by the NSW Government to permit intrastate travel and overnighting from 1 June. BIA President Darren Vaux said the move by NSW would reinvigorate the boating sector which shares much common ground with tourism. “NSW with this move will join with South Australia, Western Australia and Northern Territory to enable people to travel and say overnight,” Vaux said. “From rivers, bays, lakes, estuaries, harbours and coastal waters, NSW has a smorgasbord of fabulous waterways on which to enjoy all manner of boating from paddle, power and sail. “The ability to get out in the fresh air and sunshine with your own boat or to hire one, whether it be a paddle, power or sail, will be possible across NSW. You will also be able to relax and stay overnight on a boat which can only help deliver social benefits all round.” “The combination of fires, floods and now pandemic has all taken its toll and no more so than regional NSW, so this will help deliver a much-needed boost to activity, business and jobs. “This winter could be a great time to get into boating or to take a holiday on a houseboat on the Hawkesbury or the Murray.” Head of the Charter Vessel Association (NSW) Andrew Stirzaker said intrastate travel is good news for regional areas which are suffering from the lack of interstate and international visitation at this time. “The charter sector is ready to assist and be part of the recovery,” Stirzaker said. “People will be able to enjoy experiences such as whale watching, fishing charters and sightseeing cruises in regional areas such as Batemans Bay or Port Stephens to name just a couple of locations, whilst also helping to support local economies.” This is an important step in recovery of boating and tourism in NSW. In 2018-19 the boating industry in Australia had a turnover of $8.65 billion, directly employed more than 28,000 people with more than 14,500 contractors. Meanwhile Australia generated $60.8 billion in direct tourism gross domestic product. The boating industry will continue to support governments in disease control measures and that includes the need to promote COVID Safe physical distancing and hygiene practice across recreational and commercial vessels which is an important part of containment and recovery. More information at: www.bia.org.au
  7. 2 points
    Great to see you both out on the water again, even better to see you landing some great fish for you’re efforts. Well done to Stewy for cooking up a feed as well, such a gentleman! Good to see you out fishing Stewy once again Donna 😂
  8. 2 points
    That’s a great report! You couldn’t have landed on my hair tail spot any better! Lol 😂 Yes, the many nights spent there at the social has had many highlights for me too! In fact, it’s probably the reason I give so much back to the fishraider community. The generosity and appreciation that you guys showed to all the raiders that turned up was exemplary, especially towards me and my family! Nothing was ever a problem. Even letting me sleep on the top of the mothership and the hot coffee every morning! Oh, what great memories! Some other highlights for me, from the hair tail social over the years. Taking Nbdshroom out on a boat for the first time. That night absolutely poling them in that exact spot and ringing swordie and saying we needed more pillies they’re on. He zoomed around and tied off to us and for the next two hours we killed it. (My jaw still hurts from the laughter) Another spending the weekend with Jewstalker and leaving at 4am to meet another raider in Pittwater and go catch a 50kg plus YFT then comeback and chase hair tail, then run out of petrol. Yet another, with two of my kids and one of their friends. We got down there a day earlier and spent 4 nights with 4 people on my little boat. The kids had a ball and were very entertained by stewy all day whilst catching bait. It gave me time to sit and have adult conversation with Donna. I think I had a flat battery weekend too! Lol 😝 Yes Donna, please organise another hairtail social. I will be there will bells on! cheers scratchie!!!
  9. 2 points
    New Signing, for your information, and for others regarding Flathead species. The spiky flathead I am referring to, which I use for bait, are the species Platycephalus grandispinis, also called Longspined Flathead, and Spiky Flathead. This species has a long spike on each side of it's head, relative to other Flathead species, and this is the reason for it's common name of Spiky Flathead. The first few dorsal fins back from the head contain an irritating poison if spiked into your fingers. It grows to a maximum size of around 34 cm, there is no size limit for it, and I have seen them in roe from around 15 to 18cm in length. It is a very common species, caught in the ocean but rarely in rivers. In NSW, 3 species have size minimum limits - Blue Spot Flathead, Tiger Flathead and Dusky Flathead. (I do not use any of these for bait) Blue Spot Flathead are sometimes called Sand Flathead, but the true Sand Flathead is a smaller fish with lighter body markings. There are about 40 species of Flathead in Australia, with some being uncommon and of smaller sizes than the main 3.
  10. 2 points
    @flatheadluke @Yowie @King chaser Took your advice fellas. Bloody terrible 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
  11. 2 points
    Not bad yowie! That’s definitely a different photo. Haha! What song were they singing? cheers scratchie!!!
  12. 1 point
    Gday raiders, Got out today with fellow raider @back cruncher with the hope of a few snapper and some longtail. The snapper didn’t really want to play ball due to a lack of current. Although we did manage 4 decent ones to almost 70cm. We worked different areas pretty hard but was starting to become deflating, so we tried for some longtail. Didn’t take long and the first livie was ripped out of my hands. Solid 12kg plus longy on deck. Then went back to the anchor and the next pretty much did the same thing. Another solid fish on deck. Two was more than enough, so at midday we called it quits and headed home! Just love it when a plan comes together! cheers scratchie!!!
  13. 1 point
    Gday Raiders Life appears to be heading towards some type of normalcy, COVID restrictions aside, the family have settled into the new home and i am winning the war against the housework that forever seems to pile up. I am really starting to think that the never ending housework is really a creation of my own boredom. I recently decided to re-landscape the small patch of grass at the front of my place. Working from home, lunch breaks and late afternoons were dedicated to this little project. Amazing what one can achieve doing the hands on work ! For a fraction of the price of paying someone to do the work i am chuffed at how it looks. The wife is still waiting for me to stop gloating haha. Anyway, with the forecast looking positive, dad and i decided to head out and chase some reds. An interesting start to the day when i turned on the chartplotter to see that for reasons unexplained, on its own accord it had conducted a hard factory reset. years of marks lost? I dont know i will have to read the manual later this week to see if they can be retrieved. Not to worry as most of the spots i fish, i fish very often and i know them very well and dont need to the GPS. A relatively slow start to the day between 6am and 10am we boated a few pannies, a tiger flathead, 3 jackets and a piggy. We also boated a nice squid, a few slimies and a pike which we kept for butterflied/strip baits. Just after the tide change around 11am we decided to make a move towards a spot that looked really "fishy" in deeper water. First drop i flicked the bail arm over and the line is already buzzing a 50cm red comes up, must have taken it on the way down. Dads rod goes off immediately after for another one at 45cm. We had a solid half an hour with consistent action boating some really good reds, most around 40cm with a few bigger ones up to 50cm. The fresh squid and slimies proving to be deadly on the snapper. Dad got smoked by what i am sure is a snapper over 70cm, took a slimie frame which was pinned through the nose. I fished three rods today, two with 20lb trace and the third with 30lb trade. The 20lb trace produced most of the fish. I am wondering if i should even downsize to 15lb but am worried about increased rate of bust offs. Keen to hear everyones thoughts on that. We closed the day with a nice mixed bag, 15 snapper, the jackets, flathead and piggy. Put one of the snapper straight in the oven for dinner - perfect.........delicious. Thanks for reading.
  14. 1 point
    Nothing to report really because I had a pretty unsuccessful day but what the heck. 🤷‍♂️ With a few days off work but that east coast low heading our way, today was the only chance I thought I’d have to get out with light winds and a low swell but with a chance of rain. The rain forecast has been wrong before so I thought I’d chance it. An exchange of texts with @Scratchie yesterday and I decided I’d try Broughton Island early for snapper up to the tide change, then try and get a longtail tuna, while they’re still around and before this low moves them on. That was the plan anyway. Left Little Beach ramp at 5:15am and with no moon and a cloudy sky it was as black as the ace of spades heading out, so I had to take it easy. Not just because I couldn’t see the swells but also because it’s whale season (even if the whale watching cruises aren’t running). So it was a cautious ride out to the bait grounds. The only light around was the occasional flash of lightning on the horizon. Ominous perhaps. 🤔 I spent a little longer than I wanted to catching a few slimies and a couple of yakkas but I then had enough pre dawn glow to confidently make the run to Broughton, whale free at 20 knots. 😎 Hit the spot for the first drift. What drift? Current was 1/2 knot or less and just seemed to take me in small circles. I repositioned and got a slightly better drift but each drift seemed to take me in a different direction. Weird. I fished plastics and mixed the colours up a bit - coconut ice, white, pilchard (and, yes, I found my pilchard Z mans, Jeff). Scratchie was sending me lots of tips via text while he was at work and I put in a lot of casts but the only hits were from a sergeant baker and an octopus. This occy was released but it was the first of 3 on lures for the day. I kept the later 2 for something different. More on that later. Another text from Scratchie and I put a slimey fillet on the jig head instead of the plastic. First cast and I had a solid hit. I struck hard (well I thought I did) and felt the bump, bump of a reasonable snapper, a short tussle and a little line lost against a fairly heavy drag, then the hook pulled - so, I guess I didn’t set the hook properly! That was my chance and I blew it! 😖 A few more fruitless drifts, then a small shark turned up so I headed on to another spot to try for longtail. Got to the spot, found the bait, sat on spot lock and floated out a live slimey. There were two other boats in the area. No action for any of us. By now, the rain was getting heavier and I was getting colder, so I pulled up stumps and headed for home. Tried a short flathead drift on the way, managing four blue spots at 33cm, legal but I released them as I find them a bit small. Also those two other occies caught on the jig I use instead of a sinker on my paternoster. Finished the run home in stinging rain and was back at the house after filling the tank by 12. Not a successful day but it was still good to get out, even with the rain. 🌧 😎 Many thanks to Scratchie for his great tips during the morning! So, all I came home with, apart from a few slimies and yakkas (future bait) were a couple of octopus, which I’ve decided to cook up. I’ve only barbecued baby octopus before. Does anyone have any octopus recipes? @kingie chaser perhaps?
  15. 1 point
    Good to here you got out & caught something even if it wasn’t the target species, great read 👍
  16. 1 point
    Having taken a young lad out over the weekend new to fishing who I took through the basics, flathead, bonito's and a bit of reef fishing. This had made my daughter reminisce the old days before she became so hardcore on the offshore scene, so both herself and my young lad headed out for a fun session on small fish. Soon found a patch of very hungry salmon at the back of the surf which resulted in hookup after hookup which I struggled to keep up with releasing!!! From there on we tried a few spots for squid but no luck there, possibly due to the water temp drop to 17'c inshore. We always seem to find a few dolphins along the shore line which are fun to watch for a while. Headed out to 60m water where the snapper used to be a few years ago before the jackets took over the local reefs. I dropped a micro jig, my son a baited rig and my daughter a soft plastic. The sneaky girl hooked a nice little snapper first drop, which had us all pretty excited as we haven't had much luck on them for the last 5 years. Unfortunately that was the only snapper before the jackets took everything we dropped. We moved and moved for two hours to only to find jackets ready to snip us off on our first drop. The funny thing (or not so funny really) is that these reefs no longer show signs of the marine growth on them they used to have. I wonder if the jackets have had such an effect on other species that the reefs have changed in themselves. I don't think I will waste fuel heading up that way for snapper again this year.
  17. 1 point
    Hi all, it's been so long since I caught anything worth reporting, I was wondering if it would ever happen again. I decided last weekend to hit a wharf on Pittwater every morning this week to fish the early high tides. I wanted to target tailor with a pilchard under a float, and bream with soft plastics. Monday morning - no action. Tuesday morning - no action, but noticed blackfish swimming around the wharf. Returned Wednesday with a blackfish outfit, but equipment failure and a lack of planning for such sent me home empty handed. Then this morning the stars aligned - I caught five fish between 25 and 30cm (dropped one as I was trying to net it) in about 90 minutes. I was about to pack up and head home a very happy fisherman, then I thought 'why not use the last of the weed?', put out a final bait and a 38cm lunker appeared - after a good fight I had a new PB. Beer-battered fillets and chips for dinner tonight. Bugger the tailor and bream!
  18. 1 point
    Good to know how to prepare occy for a feed , thanks for posting @kingie chaser I won’t be tossing the next one back or using for bait, years ago I tried some at a Japanese restaurant from memory it was cold & done in a cumber vinigarete & tasted awesome, do you happen to know if there’s much involved in preparing it Adrian
  19. 1 point
    Now problem Baz. So is this the same one you poached yesterday?? If it was then you know you just need to braise it for a bit longer next time. The way I test it is to do a pinch test on the thickish end of the tentacles & if there's no give then drop it back in & continue Shame you couldn't get some charring on it, I love it when the ends of the tentacles are nice & crispy. At least you got the flavour you intended & at least your willing trying something different By all means give the kiwi a try, then you can do a comparison, I'd try say 8 hours first then again if its not tenderised enough give it longer, even maybe overnight?? You do have to be careful though, I marinated sliced chicken breast once for 2 days & when I cooked it, it broke down to almost like a paste, yep screwed that one up big time, luckily it was at home & not at work 😅
  20. 1 point
    Awsome work Scratchie! looks like you are also a top cook.
  21. 1 point
    Watched this today & thought it would be something those who like to fish for longtail to see. I recon if your into shore fishing its not a bad way of doing it, if you can afford the drone of course 😏 Great seeing those hook ups live!
  22. 1 point
    Another great read Waza, it’s amazing what extremes us rock fishers will go to catch fish, but common sense & knowing your limits go a long way no matter your age to having a fun & at times a great adventure.
  23. 1 point
    Hi GF thanks! -Rock fishing is an adventure regardless of what you catch!
  24. 1 point
    Another great read wazza. Rock fishing is certainly more than just a fishing experience
  25. 1 point
    Yes we watched that this morning. I liked his shirt 😂😂😂
  26. 1 point
    Another great Story. More please.
  27. 1 point
  28. 1 point
    The fuel that I use is that same as my ETEC, its unlead 90. I'm using Evinrude XD50 in it after I ran out of Yamalube. Thermostat is pretty easy to check. It might cost you a gasket. There are 4 or 5 10mm bolts on the front just above the top cylinder. I bought a new one, but I think that it is slightly the wrong one. I ended up cleaning the original by boiling it in water/vinegar and it came up a treat. I also tested it by putting in in hot water and it seemed to open ok. Itinitall, it was stuck half open when I took it out. My older ine doesn't get all that hot, so I think that the water jacket has a lot of build up in it. One day, I'll investigate pulling hte powerhead off and checking it all out. For now, I'm using the 2004 model and it goes great.
  29. 1 point
    @big Neil dont be sorry. In his first post introducing himself he said he was an active member a long time ago. I offered to merge hustler57 with Benny_Boy. So you are correct hustler57 is Ben
  30. 1 point
  31. 1 point
    Mate finally wanted to go fishing, due to corona virus changes, so we headed south of Jibbon to Marley, and had a few drifts there. The biggest flattie was 51cm, with a couple of throwbacks. The blue spots were scattered, however, there were plenty of spikies, often coming up in doubles. Only the one jacket. Swell was down, and not much wind. The wind kept dropping and slowed the drift. Once we drifted out a bit, we found a tide line, and on the eastern side of it was a strong current heading north. No surface action around us. Not complaining, as there are a few feeds in what we caught.
  32. 1 point
    Very similar indeed! Have contacted Chantelle about this project before we went forward!
  33. 1 point
    Great catch! The missus caught a good fish too!
  34. 1 point
    Headed out Tuesday night with my mate in his boat, to his fishing spot. Not much swell, a breeze from the N/E but fairly quiet. Mate pulled up a just legal reddie, plus some unwanted bait stealers - banjo, shovel nose and an eagle ray. I pulled out a squid on one rod, then the other rod buckled over, so I dropped the squid and net onto the floor. Played the fish for a while, then finally up top to see it was a Gummy Shark, easily a metre long. I asked my mate for a net, as I thought I would give the Gummy a try on the plate, and he hands me a piss fart little net. Half the Gummy fitted into the net, then it jumped out, kicked again in the water and busted off. I was not happy, cursing and swearing, then my rod dropped out of my hand into the water. #@^&*#* happens. Over 50 feet of water and the boat swinging about on anchor and just after sunset. The handle on my mate's reel snapped off, so we were left with one rod each. Fished unweighted baits and pulled out the tailor, from just over legal to 45cm. Now pitch black, my mate said one last cast, and his bait sunk to near the bottom, he hooked up probably a small reddie, then he said the fish became heavy and was fighting strangely. He had hooked my rod off the bottom and pulled it on board. 😲 (we don't drink while fishing) The hook was wrapped around the middle of the rod. Talk about a fluke catch, then he said, finders keepers 😡 (that won't be happening) I brought the rod and reel home, soaked the reel in a bucket of fresh water for a while, then opened it to allow it to dry. Last weekend I applied reel oil to all of my reels, so hopefully that will help it. Will dry the rod and reel in the sun tomorrow. The rod is one piece, and the cap on the butt end is removable so drained water out of there. Not an expensive reel, hopefully it will last a bit longer.
  35. 1 point
    Hi JoshGTV fillet them (easy to get totally boneless fillets) and either put flour on them then bbq or crumb them and deep fry. They are also good steamed, but my favourite is crumbed. Flour, beaten egg, crumbs. If you want thicker coating repeat process a second time, leaving in fridge for about 15 mins between 1st and 2nd process for crumbs to 'set' -No need to remove silver, but if you don't like the taste of it, simply remove when cooked. Deep fry on 190* - don't add fish until oil at that temp. Drain, then place on paper towel to remove any excess oil. If you like sauces like sweet and sour, add to fish pieces on table is my preference. Enjoy!
  36. 1 point
    We must have a big Fishraider social next year. A real family affair again. It is so much fun with all the partners, families and kids. You sure know that spot 😎
  37. 1 point
    If you are fishing trout, especially lake trout that can see you better than you see them, your best bet is when they are feeding, I have seen a few taken outside those times, but if you are there on on and after sunset you will usually get one or someone near you will. Middle of the day on THompsons is a lot of frustration, you will see them doing laps, right past your lure or fly. They may take a look but thats about it. Just aim for one or the other and you may be good. The back of the dam fishes even better but its a good treck around it. don't forget you have a roughly 2km hike from the car park as it is
  38. 1 point
    Awesome, I look forward to the report ! The weather for the rest of the week does not look accomodating so you have certainly picked the night... best of luck. Cheers Z
  39. 1 point
    Walk the edges casting, experiment with different lures, sinking lures like celtas, spoons and soft plastics will let you work all depths You can also by artificial trout bait in a jar i think its berkeley that works fairly well and of course garden worms neither of which stink
  40. 1 point
    Best of luck Donna and Stewy !!! Cheers Zoran
  41. 1 point
    Sometimes the jackets move into Bate Bay, out from Cronulla, and they will eat just about anything. Fortunately does not happen too often. When they are in plague numbers, they will attack hooked fish. At times when the small ones swim up under that boat, I have hooked one, killed it and thrown it into the water. The others swarm in and eat every scrap of the dead jacket in seconds - falling overboard would be like falling into piranha infested waters. Two jackets I caught around the 45cm mark years ago had parts of a small blue spotted ray inside their stomachs. One had the entire tail, with bite marks along the tail, and the other had parts of the head, include one entire eye. It appeared to me that the school of jackets had ambushed the ray, attacked it and eaten it alive, as the body parts of the ray were still firm and unaffected by stomach acid of the jackets. Other times the jackets have all had nothing at all in their stomachs, and were thinner than normal, suggesting they were short of food. Having seen all sorts of marine growth inside jackets stomachs at different times, leads me to believe that jackets will eat anything to survive, and may decimate marine growth areas when hungry and in large numbers.
  42. 1 point
    Baz, we all have our own likes & dislikes but if I was entertaining absolutely I would have some pink ginger & wasabi plus as an added extra I would have some wakami salad & even some smallish cut nori sheet squares. Build your own as you like it in the little nori sheet. If I could build one now for scratchie even with the wasabi I'm sure he would give it a go. If your not a fan of straight wasabi then I recommend adding some to some kewpie mayonnaise to draw away the heat but still give some flavour. Oh & some shots of nice saki would be a great addiction as well 😁 Enjoy your meal scrachie, love the sound of the will sauce 👌
  43. 1 point
    Dinner....... Crispy skin snapper with a fresh lemon and dill Sauce. And an extra glass of wine 🍷 lol
  44. 1 point
    There is no problem there PT. My wife is constantly mentioning my fishing expeditions are increasing in frequency so much so my 4 year old now thinks I'm the milkman????
  45. 1 point
  46. 1 point
    Generally these say peak times will be moon rise, moon set, moon straight above or directly below with the "excellent" fishing being the 3-4 days either side of full or new moon. This info can be sourced from a lot of places pretty easy these days. It's best to fish whenever you can not plan trips around these things as so many other things influence fish behaviour. I have had some amazing fishing around the predicted times but plenty in the so called quiet times so fish when you have the time.
  47. 1 point
    Hi all...another great day with even better company....I think we could have caught long tail all day long.i don’t think our arm could handle it though.
  48. 1 point
  49. 1 point
    Bloody Yowie fooled us again. 🤣😂
  50. 1 point
    Thats funny about the stories of the fighter jets - not so humorous when you are on the receiving end.......but if you were in the cockpit, wouldn't you just think about doing it as well? I would. Pete, "Gorge was a fairly simple walk in" - you must have had a better head for heights than I. As Crusher mentioned, my shorts had changed colour by the time I reached the ledge! Have recently moved house so still unpacking and will find the Seascapes and send pics and details - does it have to be a Major?
This leaderboard is set to Sydney/GMT+10:00