Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Everything posted by saltrix

  1. We saw a few boats on the move but I couldn’t say for sure I saw you. I have seen the most whales while fishing between the heads and Long Reef ,then they seem to go out wider. This one was curious and played around my boat for a while before coming up for a look and I had my camera ready .
  2. Launched at Parsley Bay about dawn and had a good run out past Lion Island. Then it got rougher and windier with a brisk SW making it hard to hold bottom by the time we got to 60m, even with a sea anchor. We thought of returning but the forecast was for easing a bit later in the morning and we did not fancy battling the sea on the way in. The flathead were a good size, the largest being 53cm and the smallest 36cm, which would have gone back if not an early catch.' They were all caught on pilchards or spikey fillets in 55 to 60m. The SW eased right off by about 11am and we headed in to find a moderate W wind as we got closer making a bumpy ride again.
  3. Nice fish, keep at it and you will get some good results as you are in a top location.
  4. As we were getting desperate for some fish and as the forecast for the rest of the week was crook we took a chance that the monday would not be too crowded and went out today. At Tunks there was quite a few parking spaces left and the ramp was vacant. While preparaing to launch heard a loud bang and saw a launcher drop his new looking quintrex halfway down the ramp. We tried to help him as he attempted to drag it to the water, but that couldnt be done. I suggested he try to winch it back on the trailer but we left him to work it out as he said some mates were coming. I did not make any comments but I have seen boats fall of before when the launch of an unsecured from a brake at the water goes wrong. There was a lot of surface activity around Dobroyd point, but trolling small minnows and throwing light lures did not work so we tried a troll around Nth Head for no takers. Might have been better if there was a bit of swell. However heading out to DY there was lots of swell and fairly large confused waves. Got a nice flathead at first drop then things quitened down. Finished up getting acouple of Bluespots, a couple of Marbled, a couple of Trevally and a couple of spikies which I did not put in the photo for fear of criticism for keeping them but they were a reasonable size and are good eating. The southerly eased for a while then came up again to make a bumpy ride home.
  5. Great photos and a good report. Red Rock cod have to handled dry carefully, I also handled them for years without getting stung but one time my mate got stung and was intense pain for quite a while. Since then I treat them with more respect.
  6. We don’t normally fish during holiday periods and try to avoid weekends, but the wind has been pretty fierce and we thought we would give it a go today. It was crowded at the Tunks ramp and only parking left right up the hill but we got away in about 40 minutes. The harbour was choppy from the traffic and the bounce back from the confused swell but once out wide it was pretty good. There were a lot of spikeys and they were a good size and would have made a feed, but there was an occasional good sized marble and bluespot so we didn’t keep the spikeys. The morwong were a good size but I am about to cook some for tea, and if they aren’t nice I won’t keep them again. I bleed, fillet, keep them in an ice slurry, and skin them and mostly they are good but sometimes they have a taste. The ramp on the return was very crowded and it took 45 minutes to get out.
  7. We were fishing in 50-55m, but keeping an eye on the sounder and avoiding the reefs and going back over the area that produced fish.
  8. I have been out of action but have a new hip now.
  9. Did not manage to beat the sun but managed a 5.45am launch at Tunks Park. Just a light westerly wind but a decent southerly swell once around North Head, and quite a bit of jiggle until we were well away from the cliffs. We. did not bother trolling as it has been quiet for a while and there were no working birds. Took a while to sort out out the drift as there was northerly current and a westerly wind. Managed to get a few nice flathead and a couple of reef fish when we strayed onto the reef area. When the westerly came up about 11am we headed for home. Sorry I didn’t have a rule to put on but the red was 33cm and the smallest flathead 37cm. There was a mix of bluespot and marbled flathead with some of them being very solid.
  10. Thanks for the interesting report. I have often caught the red spot whiting in 50 to 60 metres, and fisheries say they are caught up to 160 metres. The catch size limit per year is 788 tonnes so there must be a few around. They are also known as the Eastern School Whiting and are a common catch in Morton Bay Qld.
  11. Nice report, I am glad to see someone is getting out and at least you got a fish.
  12. The little ones you are catching are probably spikey flathead, and if a reasonable size there is no legal length and they are good eating. Just stick to the species bag limit of 10 flathead. To increase your chances of good blue spots or marbled try to keep the drift reasonably fast and the baits whole pilchards or reasonably large. The spikeys make good baits. You need to brush up your species to identify the different species. If you are catching more than you like try moving location, as the spikeys can be very thick.
  13. We did not get an early start and the sun was nearly up as we left the river. Tried a few spots in 40m before going out a bit deeper to around 50m before finding them. Picked up a few before the westerly dropped and our drift slowed, then the dreaded jackets struck, biting off hooks, sinkers and even eating my lure which I run on the top of my 3 drop rigs sometimes. It was a plastic prawn and they ate it all but a small piece of the body. We have found this before, if there is enough current or wind to keep moving the jackets do not find you as easily but once the drift stops they are a menace. With the breeze dropped we had a good run home..
  14. great pictures but the seas look a bit big for me. Getting the action shots of the whales was excellent.
  15. Thanks for the report. It inspired me to take my boat out and try the change of tide for the crabs. The squid were around again at Patonga but I did not have a jig. the flathead were all undersized. Crabs were around again and we shared 11 good sized males, we returned all the females and smaller crabs and back home for lunch.
  16. Thanks for that tip, we have tried closer in a few times but not done good, but will give it another go in winter. On the south side it is sometimes good for bluespots about 2km south and out in about 40-50 metres. Red spot whiting are often there too.
  17. In reply to your questions After trolling North Head and some of the harbour for zero we headed out to DY wide and fished the bottom in about 50 m in our usual grounds where we often bag out on the flathead, but they were very quite and the spikeys were quick to hook up, even on spikey bait. There was only a very slight current as even with the westerly blowing the gps showed us moving at about 1 knot, and less when it eased. That might have been the problem as it seems a bit of movement improves the catch of the bigger fish.
  18. As we had not been out for a while we took the good weather forecasty as a chance to catch some fish. There was a bit of a westerlyearly on but it soon eased. The fishing was a bit slow, there was a whale which surfaced too close to our boat and gave us a suprise but I was not quick enough to get a picture, but the albertross were around as the giant cuttle are dying and at this time the albertross hang around waiting to feed on them as they float to the surface dead after laying there eggs. y This was our combined catch apart from Sergeant Baker, 2 shovel nose sharks, and numerous spikey flathead and us snapper which were returned. The reds were only just over the legal size but the flathead were good ones.
  19. There was a crowd as expected at Parsley Bay but all seemed considerate and orderly and we launched OK. I was expecting dead calm conditions as there was no breeze but there was a confused swell which made things very jiggly when we picked up a few yellowtsil at West Head. The yellowtail were on the large size and too big for live flathead bait so we headed out to the 45M area and tried to find the schools. On the way out there were some good sized waves and it was a bumpy ride, I hoped the rock fishermen were wary as there were some whoppers every now and then. As usual the spikey flathead stripped the bait very quickly but we managed a few good bluespots bertween us.\ We kept a few of the spikeys (Long spined Flathead Platycephalus longspinus Maximum size 34cm ) as they are good eating and as long as you do not exceed the flathead all species limit of 10 fish each is no reason not to keep them for the table. I know some of us use them for bait and I have caught good fish on a fillet. Back at Parsley Bay there was a long delay to pick up the boat but againit seemed orderly.
  20. Launched at Parsely Bay and had a very bumpy ride out to the flathead area about 4nm out. Caught a few flathead on pillies and cuttlefish going over a spot which appeared OK. Then the motor refused to rev up. Checked the prop and fuel feed and all was OK, waited a while to see if overheating was a problem but still no revs. Gave up and called Marine Rescue who came out and towed us in. While we were waiting put out the sea anchor so we would not go too far and could get going quickly when the tow arrived and drifted the right way back towards Barrenjoey. Picked up a few nice flathead while waiting Thanks to Marine Rescue for the tow. My mates boat had recently been serviced and once on dry land we took the cover off to find the same problem I suffered following my service several months ago. When replacing the fuel filter on the early 75 Mercury is easy to knock the linkage slightly out of its connection to the throttle so after a bit of use it falls out and the motor wont rev. Same outboard mechanic serviced both motors. I was fortunate the sea was kinder when I was out and I was able to increase the revs manually leaning over the motor while my mate steered to get back home. No way in todays seas. Manually increasing the throttle I dont think is a good idea as I think the timing is altered by a different linkage, but some experts might correct me there. My mate did 3 years on the job with Marine rescue at Cottage Point so understands the work these volunteers put in.
  21. Were the whiting those with brown diagonal stripes, known as the eastern school whiting? They are the main type caught in Moreton Bay. There is no legal size and they do not grow as big as some of the other whiting species I often catch them in 55m while chasing the flathead, and I should reduce hook size and target them when getting stripped pilchards back. They are good eating but you need a good catch. I was surprised when I first caught them but then identified them as a deep water fish.
  22. The Leatherjacket species found outside tend to bite off hooks and also bite the line off at any point of the rig, sometimes even a long way from the hook meaning the entire rig is lost. Lures are also lost. Using a smaller longshank hook catches them, sometimes a wire leader is useful as they are fairly good eating, but they have a very sharp parrot like beak and don’t always just bite the bait.
  23. Started a bit later today from Roseville ramp. There was not the usual standard of co-operation this morning, resulting in a long wait ot get out. As there was not much white water around the headlands we headed straight out to DY Wide., but the SW stirred things up more as we got out wider and it was a jiggley session. We needed the sea anchor to hold bottom and the first drops fed hooks and sinkers to Jackets. Changed areas a few times to catch a few and the sea calmed down a bit for the run home but it was not as good aas the last trip. Lots of albotross around as the Cuttlefish are dying after egg laying and the birds know to come around at this time to feed on them at the surface. If you are lucky enough to find one that has just died and surfaced they are good bait, but the birds usually find them first.
  • Create New...