Bream, Flathead & Whiting On Poppers - Nowra District

MarlinMadness

Hi All,

Thought I would share some photos with you of a fishing trip I was fortunate to be part of with some mates down Jervis Bay way. This is the first time I have been to Jervis Bay and it was a hoot to be in some 'fishy water' to see what 'The Basin' and 'Broughton Creek' could produce.

First day was a friday afternoon and headed to Broughton Creek for a afternoon Session on Bream and in the late evening Bass and then that night fish for EPs and and other piscatorial species that was prepared to eat a plastic or popper. My mates third cast was slammed by a big bream. Unfortunately the bream busted him off but it was a stonker of a bream. So seeing this, it was a motivator to work the lure hard and get results, as the fish were there. That afternoon resulted in me getting my first BOAT BREAM. Caught a on 2" GULP Minnow Grub I got the first bream into the boat which was a hoot. That afternoon mostly consisted of Flathead. Lots of em. That afternoon headed up to the brackish water and attempted to fish for bass. Now I have never personally fished for bass, so this was my first adventure. Unforunately the bass didnt play their side of the picture and none of us got any fish. So we then headed to a bridge and started fishing for EP's. Using Bass Minnows we fished the whole bridge of pylons and Nick and Darryl managed to score some nice bream. That night followed heaps of flathead and tailor. We finished fishing at 12 midnight.

The next day, up at 4am. (Couldnt believe it lol) and headed off to fish the flats for bream on poppers. Just small poppers around 2.5 inches. Now this was a first for me and I have heard so much about it and was keen to test these bream on poppers. Or should I say, let the Bream test me??????! Anyway, first thing in the morning, casting on shallow sandflats of no more than a metre deep, Nick managed to get slammed by some big bream but couldnt manage to hook up. It finally came with a nice solid bream. It was amazing to see bream slamming a popper. Nick managed 3 nice bream and missed some other big bream aswell. Certainly a eye opener for me. Now, this peice blew me away. As mentioned, fishing shallow shallow sand flats and weed and to see a flathead hit a popper was just magnificent. The only way to describe a flathead hitting a popper is like a barra. It really is, they actually boof the lure. Darryl and Nick managed to produce some nice flathead but I was casting a small popper up on the sandlats and I saw a dark shape moving under my lure but I couldnt exactly see what it was so I commented "What is that brown shape following my lure' and I thought it was a bream, next second, BOOF, I was on. After a little battle on my Loomis spinning rod, up came a 67cm flathead. Yes, can you believe it, a 67cm flathead on popper. I was just in disbelief. I have caught flathead in shallow water on hardbodies and soft plastics, but not on poppers. Just incredible. So fished the rest of the flats with poppers and I was unfortunate not to pick up a bream on a popper but Darryl and Nick managed to land a few more and they even caught whiting on poppers which to me again is a first. We then fished with GULPS in a hole that came down off a sandflat and I was shown the art of fishing with GULPS. First cast produced Whiting, Flathead, Bream and even Darrly picked up a flounder in which he casted the GULP out, let it sit, put the rod in the holder whilst he got something out of hte boat and saw the rod bending and "whack' up came a Flounder. Unbelievable. I was told the session was slow for this part of the river but we managed to get around 20 fish in total consisting of the above in this one spot. I also managed to catch a 52cm flattie on a GULP. As we were fishing with GULPS a big bait school came in and I could see tailor charging through them with their backs out of the water. So Nick picked up his popper, casted into the bait school and was on. I think the measurement went 44cm. Not bad at all.

So the day session was awesome with big bream on poppers and flathead aswell. The best thing about it is I learnt heaps understanding bream on certain fishing methods. Not to mention Darryl caught a garfish on a popper and get ready for it .................... A SEAHORSE. The seahorse had wrapped itself around the hook of the popper.

We put the boat in around 2pm and had a BBQ then headed for a shore bash with bass. Started around 6pm and fished to around 9pm. All I can say is I managed my first Australian Bass on a small fizzer. Only a tiddly but it was something I set out to do and achieved it. I nearly sh1t myself when I casted the lure out and when it hit the water a bass slammed me. No one told me that would happen lol. But I picked up 2 Bass, Darrly picked up a nice bass of around 15cm, all on poppers and fizzers and Nick picked up the biggest bass of the session of around 28cm. But certainly a great session and achieved something that I set out to do.

Overall, a great trip. A eye opener for me also a very educational trip which has given me the confidence to get out there again.

Enjoy the pics below.

Cheers

MarlinMadness

post-1377-1139729666_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1139729690_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1139729703_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1139729949_thumb.jpg

post-1377-1139729962_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marlin-Madness

Great work and pics to add!!

I think I'm off to buy a couple of poppa's.

I get down south a bit, so I will let you know how I go next time down there.

cheers WD

Great work and pics to add!!

I think I'm off to buy a couple of poppa's.

I get down south a bit, so I will let you know how I go next time down there.

cheers WD

Hi lads,

WDFISH - yeah mate would be great to hear reports from that way now. It does make a huge difference when you read ya report knowing what area the person actually fished in so I look forward too it.

Ken A - yeah some great fish there pal. We missed some big fish, not me in particular but Nick missed some awesome fish. The way the bream hit a popper differs dramatically from a good popper slam to the lure being sipped off the water. Just awesome stuff it was.

Cheers brother.

G'day MM,

just read your replies re nowra / poppers escapade.

I have only just started fishing down there as this is the first summer I've had a boat so I'm new to the water ways but one of the spots is no secret, it actually gets really crowded, but the following outline of what we did worked OK.

The spot is the mouth of the basin where the sussex inlet river runs straight into it.

When the tide is on the run in, it belts around the corner, hits the sand flats, and then drops into deep water creating a nice eddie, with I'm sure plenty of tucker for the scaly lads down under the surface.

So this morning that we fished it, we did the following:

Got there at the start or maybe midway thru the run in tide, got on the spot before light broke, anchored just on the edge of the eddie and cast upstream and let our baits drift slowly down on #2 bean sinker with a 1200 mm fluro trace and using big mouth hooks. Bait is a dead set certainty which is fresh ( but frozen ) big fat hawksbry prawns, fed around the hook, looking pretty sexy with the tip of the hook tucked up under their legs...with a real light drag.

When the boys find them their is no nibble nibble, just a nice slow firm drag saying " give the bloody prawn to me"!!! then set the hook. We had a ball, not a big haul but we pulled 4 fat bream in, within 30 mins, and when light broke the run in tide was a like a truck without brakes and we got bnothing else for an hour after wards until moved and drifted the inlet river....a couple of pics below, but a great time had by all.

Cheers, hope this sheds some sort of light on the area for fellow raiders!!

catch ya wd

post-1568-1140085034_thumb.jpg

post-1568-1140085067_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the nice feedback. Excellent!

All I can say is get out there and popper fish, it is a exciting way of catching bream as I am sure many of you already utilise this method.

wdfish - nice big fat bream there mate and Scales (who is in the above photos) caught all of the big bruiser bream and he commented on how fat the bream where, which is great to see.

Yaulpang - the south coast is great. Better than the Sydney CBD (can that be compared - nope lol).

Cheers

Its a great spot down there I fish there quite often Havent fished it with Nick yet as we never seem to be there at the same time Could be down in the next couple of weeks Hope the bream are still fireing

Hi Adrew PM me via usual means and lets see if we can get it right this time.

Nick