5 Month Old Tohatsu And Its Seized

bisso

sorry gents that i havent updated progress to date. it has been a labourious process thus far. some progress however. i got an independant inspector to assist with a tear down of the motor. i did this to cover both my arse from tohatsu and to assist with stopping further delays. i reiterate that the dealer has been fabulous and i couldnt recommend him highly enough. he has been associated with our family for over thirty years so i wouldnt have expected any less. ok progress...... inspection has revealed that water had not entered engine due to overheating. teardown of the motor revealed that the engine had been taking water internally for some time (couldnt be longer than 5 months as it was this old when it stopped). spoke to dealer today whom recommended a porosity test be done on the block to try and find a fault. tohatsu importer (lakeside marine, yes i have named them, note they are the aust distributor) have done absolutely nothing to assist... i think they are burying their head in the sand and hoping it goes away. thanks guys for nothing, i have no hesitation in recommending people to not buy your motors.... not because of issues with the motor, but more to do with the treatment i have and still am encountering with this..... hopefully i might know the test result by friday.... will keep you all posted.... thanks for all your posts..

cheers

ok progress update. porosity test revealed no leaks in the block. i had an independant inspector verify same. he came to the conclusion that he cant determine how water got into engine but noted that there were no signs of overheating and no evidence of water entry. he did note that it appeared that water has been entering for some time but could only tell me where it wasnt getting in as it was not apparent where it is infact entering. next step.... dealer is sitting on his hands, which is pissing me off somewhat. surely a reasonable person would deem that there is an evident fault or serious issue which is out of the ordinary with this motor. i cant believe that it should be considered bad luck. come on tohatsu, does this demonstrate how poor your product is or more importantly how poor your lack of service and assistance is???.... sorry guys, but for mine, scratch tohatsu off your short list and look elsewhere. the lack of both assistance and also the fact i have been without a boat for over a month while they fart arse around is nothing short of incompetent. go and buy a yamaha or something else.

really pissed off with the whole thing now...

email lakeside marine and state your disgust with their attitude. tell them you have heard bad stories about their treatment of existing clients and you dont wish to be treated the same. NB: these are my thoughts only... and merely a suggestion. but if you feel you are concerned then please tell them your concern about their product. it can only assist with making them alert to their consumers expectations and rightly so, proper remedial action.

post again when progress occurs......

regards

mick

As I said before from your experience I will never buy Tohatsu. I just can't for the life believe they have been so useless. Man I am sorry for your experience but glad you shared it to warn us all.

Cheers

Trev

So you guys are telling me that because of one misfortune to a Tohatsu owner,that all of you

guys will steer clear from the brand forever?

How many people said the same thing with OMC ?

They disappeared and reemerged with E-TEC ,every loves Evinrudes now!

You guy just follow the herd and don't care if you step on shit along the way.

When they bring a new range in the future or offer them at a cant refuse price I can hear

all you guys saying ,(not bad this Tohatsu ) This same thing happens to many distributors of

many other products that some times there is no solution in situations of warranty.

Bad luck Bisso

Hazza :thumbdown:

Ive always regarded Tohatsu as a pretty good motor in fact I was a dealer many years ago. What worries me is not so much the fact there was a failure, because unfortunately this can happen with any motor, but the fact that there is no factory support. That fact is important and would stop me from buying one in the future moreso than the engine fault.

Most people can accept faults can occur, its what the manufacturer is prepared to do to help that counts. In this case its pretty bad and being forewarned about this service is a good thing.

I can see your point Hazza, I now work for an auto dealer and brand bashing is rampant and people do jump on board a bad experience with gusto. If one person fires up at the front counter it seems to infect everyone ! This thread is however a good insight into poor service from a manufacturer rather than a crappy motor

Cheers