Rigging Berkley Sandworms

MrGenius

Going down the south coast over easter and have some 6" sandworms to give a workout.

Can someone tell me the best way to rig these up?

I was thinking of cutting them in half and using a 1/32 jighead in them?

Any suggestions or pictures of them rigged would be great.

Cheers

NAthan

Hi Genius,

You've got it in one. Cut them in half and rig them on a light jig head. Obviously the lighter the better.

I don't have any pics but if you insert the hook a couple of cm's from the end (ie, not directly down the guts like you would a minnow or grub) and then bring the point out as you normally would.

That way you've got a piece "wiggling" at both ends. Just drifing them provides enough action that way.

Hope that helps and makes sense??

Cheers

David.

Sorry bout my poor drawing skills but this is what I mean.... :1prop::1prop::1prop:

post-237-1144627416_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

David.

Hey David,

Thanks for the info, it was what i had in mind but wasnt sure if there was maybe a better way of rigging it. Where im fishing there is an abundance of sand whiting but the current is very fast as it is a runout to the ocean, so id assume a weight of some sort is probably necessary.

Drawing does the job :biggrin2:

Cheers

Nathan

G'day Nathan,

If the current is running really fast just rig them on a normal everyday sinker, swivel, trace to hook rig. Use a baitholder hook instead of the jig head. Cast up current and let it run along with the tide, should work for you also.

Look forward to the report mate. :thumbup:

Cheers

David.

Edited by mottyman

G'day Nathan,

If the current is running really fast just rig them on a normal everyday sinker, swivel, trace to hook rig. Use a baitholder hook instead of the jig head. Cast up current and let it run along with the tide, should work for you also.

Look forward to the report mate. :thumbup:

Cheers

David.

could i use your method for drifting on the sand around brighton in botany?

it will be the first time me using sp's and i was hoping to use a normal long shank or bait holder hook on a normal rig with a light running sinker

G'day Domza,

Mate, I did exactly that on the weekend just gone and caught stacks of whiting in the Georges.

Just rig them the same way you would a live blood worm or piece of bait. You can fish them on a jig head or just a plain running sinker rig. The bait keeper hooks are best so it doesn't scrunch up on the hook.

They are just bait in a packet marketed as a lure mate!! :biggrin2:

Cheers,

David.

You're a great help mottyman :biggrin2:

Just wanted to ask, do you have to downsize your hooks to use the salt worms effectively or can you use the same jig heads as you would with minnows & grubs, I use Gamakatsu Round 25 Jig Heads Size 1 hook, 1/16oz weight, for 2-3" grubs & minnows would this jighead be too big for the worms?

The Gamakatsu size one hook is the same size as a Mustad size two hook or those who know Squidgy's a size 2 Squidgy jighead.

I've only been catching flatheads with SP's in the Georges, the sand worms might broaden the species list for me.

You're a great help mottyman :biggrin2:

Just wanted to ask, do you have to downsize your hooks to use the salt worms effectively or can you use the same jig heads as you would with minnows & grubs, I use Gamakatsu Round 25 Jig Heads Size 1 hook, 1/16oz weight, for 2-3" grubs & minnows would this jighead be too big for the worms?

The Gamakatsu size one hook is the same size as a Mustad size two hook or those who know Squidgy's a size 2 Squidgy jighead.

I've only been catching flatheads with SP's in the Georges, the sand worms might broaden the species list for me.

Thanks mate, just relaying my experiences but glad it helps :biggrin2:

I just used the same jig heads I would normally use with B.M.'s and grubs, the Squidgy Ball jigs. I haven't used the Gama Rounds on the worms but I would think they'd be OK....

I just used a jig head and hook size to suit the conditions and what I was targetting. I used a lighter jig head with a smaller hook size in the shallows (only a few feet deep) for whiting and a slightly heavier jig head with a larger hook size when targetting the bream in deeper water and faster current.

When you open the pack you'll see one end of the worm is thinner than the other... this is where the finer guage hook is good if you're cutting them in half and using the thinner end. The Gamma would be good as its stronger than the squidgy and less likely to straighten if you hook that stonker!!! :biggrin2:

Best just to keep it simple and fish to the conditions I reckon. The gulps basically fish themselves anyway!! :biggrin2:

Cheers

David.

Guest Jewel

The gamakatsu 25s in size 1 work fine on the worms, have been using that set up for some time.

If Im running short on them Ill chop them in half but generally rig them whole.

Also rigging them on a straight pattern hook with a bullet weight running above them (texas rig) works VERY well.

Thanks for the help. :biggrin2:

Those Gulp! sandworms may just be what I was looking for. I've been wanting to find a SP where I could use like I would bait soaking. Sometimes I like taking a break after flicking for 2 hours & would like something in the water while I have lunch or just rest. Plus most my friends are old school fishos & they buy those frozen prawns from the service station & when they run out of them they always whine & want to leave, I could give them some of the worms to use when they run out., so they bait supply doesn't determine the fishing hours :1fishing1:

I wonder how those simulate baits are, the ones that come in the bag & look like lil' fish bits like beef jerky...

Hi again,

In the Georges we used both the natural and the camo colour. The camo looks more like a blood worm.

There wasn't any noticable difference between the two, the fish liked them equally well... :biggrin2:

I don't like the red one, but the natural and camo look very good.

Cheers

David.

I wonder how those simulate baits are, the ones that come in the bag & look like lil' fish bits like beef jerky...

Go to your local fishing shop and get a copy of the Silstar complimentary fishing basics DVD. In the DVD they use Stimulate and ultrabite and catch a couple of good fish ie. 90cm flatty. Shite dvd otherwise tho :05:

Go to your local fishing shop and get a copy of the Silstar complimentary fishing basics DVD. In the DVD they use Stimulate and ultrabite and catch a couple of good fish ie. 90cm flatty. Shite dvd otherwise tho :05:

Some nice fish on that DVD but it's best to watch it with the sound turned off...

You'll get sick of hearing the words 'stimulate, with ultrabite' in about 5 minutes...

Just like rest of their DVDs really...

:thumbdown:

Some nice fish on that DVD but it's best to watch it with the sound turned off...

You'll get sick of hearing the words 'stimulate, with ultrabite' in about 5 minutes...

Just like rest of their DVDs really...

:thumbdown:

:074: Ya not wrong, plus the favourite saying of 'come up trumps' i nearly kicked the tv in :1prop:

The gamakatsu 25s in size 1 work fine on the worms, have been using that set up for some time.

If Im running short on them Ill chop them in half but generally rig them whole.

Also rigging them on a straight pattern hook with a bullet weight running above them (texas rig) works VERY well.

Jewel do you find that you have a better hook up rate whe the worm is cut in half or left whole???

cause ive noticed when riggin them whole you can feel the fish playing around with it, then almost slurping it in. i am going to try and cut them in half and see if this improves the hook up rate and Mottyman i like the idea of having excess worm trailing both sides of the hook!! hope fully this info can improve my catch rate

thanks guys

Cheers pk.

:1fishing1:

Guest Jewel

Im still playing around with the technique, but Im finding that a whole worm works best.... if you dont strike at the bites........ stop the retrieve and twitch the bait untill the fish picks it up and starts to swim off then just load the rod.

Like Jewel, I'm still playing with it as well but I've found the half worm quite effective. Right from the start I've cut them in half - to make the packet go further but also to encourage the fish to take the whole lot without picking around the edges.

It's worked extremely well for me so I'm going to continue to use half worms.

Jewel is spot on though, if you feel a hit or a nibble, stop the retrieve. The fish will pick it up while it's stationary or after the slightest, smallest of twiches.

Cheers,

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a big session on Saturday morning with the Gulp sandworms. Caught five species: bream (x6), flathead (x2), whiting, tailor ... and a silver biddy! All fish released to fight another day.

Camo colour, 6 inch worm cut in half on a 1.5g Squidgy round head, #4 hook.

Very slow steady retrieve (approx half a handle turn a second), with a couple of six inch twitches every couple of turns.

Camo colour, 6 inch worm cut in half on a 1.5g Squidgy round head, #4 hook.

Very slow steady retrieve (approx half a handle turn a second), with a couple of six inch twitches every couple of turns.

Hi Dave,

That's exactly it. You've used exactly the same meathod I have used with great success down to the exact same jig head!! :biggrin2:

Your retrieve is even the same..... :wacko::wacko:

Great stuff, where were you fishing????

Cheers

David.

That's exactly it. You've used exactly the same meathod I have used with great success down to the exact same jig head!! :biggrin2:

Your retrieve is even the same..... :wacko::wacko:

Great stuff, where were you fishing????

Uncanny ...

We fished a few flats on Parramatta River near Silverwater, a couple of hours before and after the high. My mate was driving the boat so I couldn't tell you exactly where, to be honest!

I have a problem with hooking up though - must've had 40 hits for my dozen or so fish. I suspect toadies and juvenile tailor may have been to blame for many of the misses, but the conversion rate is still too low for my liking. As a comparison, my mate scored 20 fish to my 12. What techniques do you use when striking?

Thanks!

Dave and Mottyman you have it pretty well the same as me except I would start with a 2gm squidgy ballhead and I would let it sit for about ten seconds before giving it the smallest of twitches this is when a fish generally hits it Any fish of size will hookup but you will feel plenty of small pecks which are small fish just let it sit there as the small fish activity will attract the bigger fish if they are around As a general rule I will use camos upriver and natural closer to the river mouth or in bays So far it has been very successful

Yep, the second I feel a touch or a peck (little bites I mean) I stop it dead and just let it sit there. Its then a case of ratta tatatata tat until you get a hookup or the toads or whatever else is down there going nuts gets the worm off.

I found my hookup rate was heaps better once I re-taught myself not to strike at the slightest little touch.

The bigger fish if they're around tend not to play with it, they inhale it and the sound of line being lost is the next thing you should hear!!! :074:

I fish the flats alot in hen and chicken bay and around concord as well. The mangroves along the river all the way down to silverwater bridge are good.

I fish a couple of hours each side of the high tide if I can but sometimes its a matter of getting out what I can but either side of the high is best I reckon.

I use the camo's up river as well and use the natural colours if I'm fishing sandy areas, sand flats or bays as you say Iceman.

I think the general rule is: Upriver muddy bottom - Camo. Down river or around sand - Natural.

Cheers,

Cheers,