Soft Plastics Rods

Guest Saqa

Guest Saqa

With the preference shown for uplocking seats, any ideas why these things are so popular? Even though I personaly prefer downlocking I dont like these items as there is no good cork avialable to fit the curve. Everything I have seen so far uses a seperate section of cork in the curve area and I would never use cork of that terrrible quality on any of my own use rods.

post-1888-1146592498_thumb.jpg

I like these ones in downlocking as the carbon fibre insert is in contact with the blank through the graphite arbours that I use and my fingers curl around it.

post-1888-1146593099_thumb.jpg

There is one trick that I have just thought of that would allow great finger contact with the blank. I have never seen it on any other rods anywhere but that doesnt mean someone else has not come up with this already. I can grind a notch in the thread area or foregrip which will let the forefingger curl around it like in a blank exposed trigger setup. I think this will provide the same benefits and look sick. This is an image I just edited to illustrate my idea

post-1888-1146594126_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saqa

Guest Saqa

After a lot of research I have decided to build the first examples with Titan guides. Will not do a cheaper version but instead I think I can do the completed rod about $270 with the titans and top corks. I will post a final price for mark 1 once I have worked out some other details like seats and cork

I need to work out what people look for in a real seat and which models are considered really good by the fishermen!

Guest BBM Rick

As discussed with you earlier, I think the Daiwa Battler and heartland-Z reel seats are a nice thing, although I cannot attest to the durability over a period of time, perhaps some raiders have used/abused these and have some input? I also love the idea of a notch for the fore finger, it would certainly set you apart from the others! What are your thoughts on a split lower grip?

Guest Saqa

As discussed with you earlier, I think the Daiwa Battler and heartland-Z reel seats are a nice thing, although I cannot attest to the durability over a period of time, perhaps some raiders have used/abused these and have some input? I also love the idea of a notch for the fore finger, it would certainly set you apart from the others! What are your thoughts on a split lower grip?

Hi Rick

I will definetly make some proto type handles with finger notch. I have to come up with a good name for it.

I do use split grips a lot on rods which require longish rear grips. You should see the one I did on Haraka's mahi mahi L. I made the rear section detachable so the rod can be converted to a single handed flicking rod for the FADs

Guest Saqa

Hi all

Thanks for all the input. I will order the components sat night. Lately I have done a full rebuild on a TD finesse rod and restore job on a Loomis and I am now very confident about my sp rods, at least about the durability as I cant yet make a call on the performance of the blanks. I hope that guys who will help me take them through the paces will find them alright.

This is what will be on the rods. Please let me know if anyone disagrees with the choice of components and would prefer something else

Guides - The Fuji guides dont quite cut it in my experience but will be used upon request. The alconites have a stainless steel frame which are not protected very well and are subject to corrosion. These are a pretty baseline offering. The Fuji solid titanium SiC's are much better to create a lighter and more senstive rods but the SiC rings dont take knocks too well. I am going to use the solid Titanium American Tackle Titans as standard as these offer the lightness and the rings are thinner then the SiC's while being extremly strong. Plus titanium doesnt corrode.

Reel seat - I will use the reel seat with the real carbon fibre inserts and make the notch to expose blank upoun request. Other seats can be used on request

Grips - Better then AAA grade cork sealed with my curry-butt stuff. These grips will stay new much longer then stuff found on more expensive rods

Build - They will be built with extreme detail.

I am stoked that I can offer all these features for $270 and where things like custom decals and custom configs are avialable. I cant wiat till the first test rod is finished. Thanks again for all your insight

I dont know if it is too late or not with the blank order, but you would be much better off building a rod on a sub 7ft blank, this is where the core market is. I would say the majority of rods used by people for chucking plastics at estuary/table species would be between 6'2''- 6'10'. There are manufacturers out there building 7ft plus rods and sub 6ft rods all of which work well for certain applications but if you asked them where their biggest market palce is and I'm sure they would say between 6-7 ft.

Guest Saqa

I dont know if it is too late or not with the blank order, but you would be much better off building a rod on a sub 7ft blank, this is where the core market is. I would say the majority of rods used by people for chucking plastics at estuary/table species would be between 6'2''- 6'10'. There are manufacturers out there building 7ft plus rods and sub 6ft rods all of which work well for certain applications but if you asked them where their biggest market palce is and I'm sure they would say between 6-7 ft.

Hi Mick and all fishraiders

These three blanks are now a done deal. Once I get them from beta release to to version 1.0 I will be adding a couple of 6'6" in two pc and some one pc to the sp max range

In fact I already do three 6'6" models which I call:

1) bream 66 UL for the 1-3kg 1/47 oz capable

2) bonito 66 M-1pc for the 3-5kg (good with sp's 3" and over, hardbodies and metal jigging/casting lures)

3) jack 66 M for the 4-6kg (great for barra style hardbodies and metals)

Plus I do a 7' one which I call the flathead L, a 2-5kg 2pc which has proven itself very capable with bothe sp's and hardbodies. Works very well with troll or cast. Some of my best flaties and bream have come of these lately.

The bream UL has been a very good seller and I only have one rod left (made this as a valentines prezy for the missus) from the 10 blanks I got in the last batch. Should be recieving more soon.

I might offer these with the Titan guides as mart of the sp max series depending on further testing.

Guest Saqa

Hi all

Just an update. All the parts will be here within 10 working days

Thanks for all the help so far

Guest Saqa

Hi all

The Titan Guides are here :yahoo:

They are wicked. I am about to use one set on another rod that is aimed at lure fishing using lines 4kg+

Any one who wants to eyeball this rod can do so on Fri arvo at the cooks ramp. Call to arrange time

This rod is 7' 1pc 4-10kg all graphite

Guest Saqa

Heehaa, blanks are here, :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Going over to UPS to pick them up soon

Edited by Saqa

Guest Saqa

Just unpacked the blanks. Very nice. Exactly what I wanted. If any one is interested in checking these out then contact me. I am out of cork but will recieve a shippment next week. Then I can build the test rods. I will be contacting the raiders who have offered to test these as soon as I have some made up. Anyone else who would like to help out please let me know.