One Of Those Days!

Well it finally happened........

For a while now I have been reading reports where different people have had a cracker of a day on the bream. This seems to happen more to some than the rest of us...... but on Sunday it was our turn.....

We hit Newcastle harbor in the early hours of Sunday morning. Now we have fished the harbor a few times without much success so we decided to try a few new locations and tactics. The theme for the day was ... go deep.

Without going into to much detail we found a patch near the Stockton bridge that looked the goods. After about 20mins I was 3 - 0 down to deckie and it looked like I was in for a pasting. So a change of lure was in order... to the ever reliable Gulp.

After another 10mins or so I came up solid on a better fish. After a brief tussle and a singing drag a new PB for me hit the deck. She was just on 40 but really broad across the shoulders

The next fish to come aboard was another for me at 38. Then deckie hit his straps landing another good fish at 43 and very fat (anybody want to guess the weight?)

Anyway to cut a long story short we ended up boating about 25 fish for day with the majority of the fish well over 30cm. We even managed a break for lunch at the Brewery on the change of tide. Had a lovely rump steak washed down with a couple of Coopers..... life is tough... Then back to it for the arvo session

This gave me my best ever bag of 5 fish by far... I really need to get myself a set of scales

post-44-1146530537_thumb.jpg

My 40...

post-44-1146530726_thumb.jpg

Deckies 43.....

post-44-1146530800_thumb.jpg

My best 2...

post-44-1146530853_thumb.jpg

A day like this is going to take some beating but it has given me a bit cofidence back after the last few fishless sessions

Well it finally happened........

For a while now I have been reading reports where different people have had a cracker of a day on the bream. This seems to happen more to some than the rest of us...... but on Sunday it was our turn.....

We hit Newcastle harbor in the early hours of Sunday morning. Now we have fished the harbor a few times without much success so we decided to try a few new locations and tactics. The theme for the day was ... go deep.

Without going into to much detail we found a patch near the Stockton bridge that looked the goods. After about 20mins I was 3 - 0 down to deckie and it looked like I was in for a pasting. So a change of lure was in order... to the ever reliable Gulp.

After another 10mins or so I came up solid on a better fish. After a brief tussle and a singing drag a new PB for me hit the deck. She was just on 40 but really broad across the shoulders

The next fish to come aboard was another for me at 38. Then deckie hit his straps landing another good fish at 43 and very fat (anybody want to guess the weight?)

Anyway to cut a long story short we ended up boating about 25 fish for day with the majority of the fish well over 30cm. We even managed a break for lunch at the Brewery on the change of tide. Had a lovely rump steak washed down with a couple of Coopers..... life is tough... Then back to it for the arvo session

This gave me my best ever bag of 5 fish by far... I really need to get myself a set of scales

post-44-1146530537_thumb.jpg

My 40...

post-44-1146530726_thumb.jpg

Deckies 43.....

post-44-1146530800_thumb.jpg

My best 2...

post-44-1146530853_thumb.jpg

A day like this is going to take some beating but it has given me a bit cofidence back after the last few fishless sessions

G`day Fellas ,

I guess about 4LB 4 Oz .

Mick

Nice work Jethro !

Good to see the harbour is firing and the bream are on the chew.

Where you on the Eastern side of the river, just south of the bridge??

my guess of the 43 model would have to be between 1.3-1.4.

My pb was 41 and came in at 1.25, from the same area.

LW.

PS: And there is not much better than a Sparkling on Tap...

One of the few places around that has it. Most pubs just have Pale Ale.

Thanks guys.

The lure that did the damage was the 4" turtleback in pumpkinseed.

Warwick - Thats the spot. We just found a bit of broken bottom and there was plenty of fish there.

Looking forward to the Harbor Pro Bream in June :1prop:

The lure that did the damage was the 4" turtleback in pumpkinseed.

Thanks Jethro,

Haven't tried those ones yet but looked at them thinking they'd be better to fish whole as they're smaller than the 6" Sandworms which I cut in half.

I assume you fished them whole???

Again, nice bream mate.

Cheers,

Nice work Jethro,

The Harbour has been fishing well lately. I have been doing a fair bit of prefishing for the pro bream and if the size of the bag stick around i think we'll all be happy

Mitch

Guest fishrunner

Well done Jethro and Deckie,

Sounds like a top day, I love fishing newy harbour and good to hear of a nice bag comming in.

It's icing on the cake to pull into the brewery for a bite and a beer on the wharf.

congrats again,

cheers

:biggrin2: Nothing that hasn't already been said, but I'll add my congrats to the growing list. Sounds like a gem of a day, Jethro! :1yikes: Haraka, it was previously mentioned that the lure was a 4" turtleback in pumpkinseed.

Flattieman.

Hey Mate, been a while since a report, nice to see a gooden'

Sounds like a great day, i am insanely jealous. After that effort i feel you are now worthy of having me on your boat again. :1prop:

How good are those Gulps !

Thanks all for the kind words........... I just hope it wasn't a fluke and we can do it next time..

Which side of the bridge did you go?

Ocean side of the bridge... northern shore... thats about as specific as I am going to get :1prop:

I assume you fished them whole???

Yeah we fished them whole. We nip off about 5mm just so they sit better on the jighead.

The Harbour has been fishing well lately. I have been doing a fair bit of prefishing for the pro bream and if the size of the bag stick around i think we'll all be happy

G'day Mitch - If we can get fish like that during the Pro Bream I will be a very happy man. Fingers crossed they stick around

Hey Mate, been a while since a report, nice to see a gooden'

Sounds like a great day, i am insanely jealous. After that effort i feel you are now worthy of having me on your boat again. :1prop:

How good are those Gulps !

G'day Grant - Believe me its been a loooong time coming. (again just hope it wasn't a fluke). I cant say enough good things about the gulps.

I have been down the creek the last few weekends and it has been tough. Still only getting a few fish but the size has been a bit better.

I almost forgot... Grant - Hiow goes the new tub??

Jethro,

The new tub is going well. Im still optioning it up and its taking a while. Had my first fish out of it only last week believe it or not, up till then i was getting some motor trim and trailer dramas sorted out . Dropped two monster flatties and couldnt find a Bream. Typical Lake Mac.

Just finishing the live well ATM and will plumb and install it over the next few weeks. Overall its looking good and goes well. I'll post some pics when she's all done. Well have to have a fish later on too. I am keen to consistanly find Bream on Lake Mac, its so hit and miss for me - more misses than hits too. Im going to try some deep water action at the new reefs in there too. Could be interesting.

See ya soon

.... and couldnt find a Bream. Typical Lake Mac.

You dont need to tell me...... I have basically given up trying to catch bream up there..... Are the few reefs in?? I would be dead keen to try some deep jigging on them..... I am flat out with work this month and trips away but we will have to get out for a fish again

Well done and it sounds as though you had an absolute corker of a day.

Congrats on you PB and a great feed for the table.

Cheers

Thanks Martin... it was a cracker

All the fish were released..... Which was probably my favourite part of the day.... Having photos taken back at the ramp which drew a bit of a crowd.... Then the looks on peoples faces when you carefully put back a few good bream :1yikes: ...... priceless

Jethro

It may be a bit late this year but we used have quite a bit of success under the Stockton Bridge before and just after the mullet runs for Jew on lures.

Mullet schooled in the light from the bridge during the night and jew fed on them during the slack tide periods.

This was before SP's became popular and hard bodied surface lures or shallow divers worked slowly through the lighted areas gave the best results.

Bait fishing hear has yeilded good results as well but the lures are good fun.

Kingpig

Thanks Kingpin

I have tried spinning for jew in the Harbour a few times but never done any good...... Actually never had any luck on a Jew anywhere.........

I will keep plugging away and Im sure my time will come....... hopefully, maybe... one day :1prop:

jethro

My brother holds the family record for jew from under this bridge at 86 pounds. This was on live bait. This fish on a lure would not get to the boat.

I have caught them of the rocks on lures as well. Mainly at Seal Rocks.

If you want to target Stockton Bridge we usally fished the "Dark" into the pressure wave that builds infront of the bridge pylons at the end of the run out or the back eddies that forms during the run in.

Kingpig