22/5/06 - Port Macquarie Plastic Munchin' Snapper!

Me and the usual partner in crime - pete, headed off in search of reds on plastics today. After only landing one size fish in our last effort, the confidence levels were slightly tapered but we were keen for redemption.

As we punched out over the bar, the conditions were ideal - things were looking up. 20 Minutes in i hook up to an absolute beast only to have the jighead bent, dissapointed but confident, i retied and sent the plastic into the depths...

Within a couple of minutes, the opening fish of the morning was pulled aboard, only a fish around the kido mark, but a nice confidence booster regardless.

Then tragedy struck.. my stick was nearly ripped out of my hands as quick as my leader knot popped :1badmood::1badmood: - definately a fish around the 7-8kg mark judging by the velocity of the strike. Note to self, purchase a dedicated snapper spinning combo!!

The morning wore on and me and pete loaded up the livewell with a nice steady stream of snapper up to around a kilo - nothing bigger. I was beginning to think i blew my chance at a decent fish for the day when the raider loaded up nicely and the drag started peeling viciously...this was a definate PB on plastic i thought. Pete was cursing in the background why he couldn't hook a decent fish on his new dedicated snapper outfit.

When up came this little puppy - 3kg of pure snapper muscle

post-302-1148284611_thumb.jpg

post-302-1148284740_thumb.jpg

Sensational red on plastic loomy ,I bet you enjoyed every minute of the fight as well :yahoo:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Guest fishrunner

That's a nice red on plastic there loomylover, congrats :thumbup: .

Would've been a great fight on the raider rod.

well done

cheers

just a few questions without giving away too much what kind of depths do u guys fish? and what weight jig?

cheers

:1fishing1:

Nick we fish in around 20-25 metres mate, although intend to experiment in the deeper stuff shortly. I prefer using 1/4oz heads, with 3/8oz being the maximum ill use. The slower sink and drop of the plastic is what catches most of the better fish so fish as light as possible, with heads and line weight.

I was using 4lb pink fireline and 18lb leader, i'd probably beef up to about 10lb fireline though on a dedicated snapper outfit and retain the leader.

Nick we fish in around 20-25 metres mate, although intend to experiment in the deeper stuff shortly. I prefer using 1/4oz heads, with 3/8oz being the maximum ill use. The slower sink and drop of the plastic is what catches most of the better fish so fish as light as possible, with heads and line weight.

I was using 4lb pink fireline and 18lb leader, i'd probably beef up to about 10lb fireline though on a dedicated snapper outfit and retain the leader.

thanks mate just one more question do u get hit when your on the bottom or higher up in the water coloum

Caught most of mine on the bottom mate, although you get the odd one slightly higher in the water column. One ideais to berley and raise the fish off the bottom then present lures in front of them - havn;t done this as yet though.