Record Bream

Laredo

alot of you may have have read that the australian record for bream is close to 4.5 kgs!

I've never seen a photo of a bream that looks half that weight ...so i was just wondering if any of you have pics of massive one's that are getting towards that record? either your pics of one's from websites or magazine, doesnt matter

if so, post them up. cheers

what's the biggest bream you've personally heard about and confirm being caught ? 2 weeks or 20 years years ago

Edited by Laredo

I've heard of a Bream that came out of the oyster leases in Wooloware bay 5 to 6 yeras ago that went 60cm :1yikes:

Apparently the Asians have a similar species to our Bream (look exactly the same to me) and they grow upwards of 5kg.

Here are some pics, the biggest one here (the first one) measured 58cm.

post-1921-1148294082_thumb.jpg

post-1921-1148294120_thumb.jpg

post-1921-1148294136_thumb.jpg

Guest maraudingmado

Talked to a bloke a couple of years ago who said he caught one around the 6lb mark at Kelso Beach near East Hills about 15 years ago. Didn't give the measurements though. Wasn't sure whether to believe him or not but he seemed genuine and did know the area really well. Wasn't shy in giving tips on how to catch fish and their locations.

Due to my sloppy calculations:

35cm bream is about 700g

43cm bream is about 1.0k

50cm bream is about 1.6k

I'm not a math enthusiast but I guess a 60cm would weigh about 3kg

Edited by Laredo

I wouldn't worry too much about length / weight calculations mate :biggrin2: I have taken bream at 40cm that went 1.2kg & other that went .9 & other that were 1.0. The bottom line is there is no way to match weight & length. It's not that simple.

haha, yeh i know theres not a formula, I was thinking more ballpark figures

i.e.

a 40cm bream is usually around a 1kg.

my best is 45cm that went 1.9kg, fat fish on its pre spawning run.

A well known Hawkesbury charter operator told me of 2 65sm bream they got on a charter, werent weighed though.

Thats amazing i didnt believe that they could reach that size. im stunned. thae largest iv caught but have no pics would have been around the 40cm mark at an estimated 1.2kgs not a very fat fish.

id love to catch a 4.5 kg model, they fight nice on light tackle when they are small.

cheers.

I've heard of a Bream that came out of the oyster leases in Wooloware bay 5 to 6 yeras ago that went 60cm :1yikes:

Apparently the Asians have a similar species to our Bream (look exactly the same to me) and they grow upwards of 5kg.

Here are some pics, the biggest one here (the first one) measured 58cm.

Why the hell aren't they smiling?!!! :wacko:

Flattieman.

Hi i have caught quite a few up to and over 5lb and had my hooks snapped by bigger.. Herd of one caught on South Coast 10lb.. The big ones move to the top at nite if you don't get a bite in 10 sec you have missed the drift.. :1fishing1:

There was one caught in the tamar a few weeks ago that went 49cm to fork and wieghed 2.7kg which is about standard for a fish of that length according to NSW fisheries but there is a lot of variation.

A 7lb bream also came out of musselro bay last year but I'm not sure of length. Does show some big ones are around though...

PS. I went for a fish where the 6lber was caught today and didn't even get a touch.

Cheers

Col.

Edited by wrasseman

i have caught several bream in the 1.5 to 2 kilo mark off the marina at Gladesville bridge. Never seen one over 2.5kgs. Truly massive.

I also used to get some very big Bream off Huntley's Point wharf next to Gladesville bridge back in the days when you were allowed to fish off it. Although I never really weighed or measured any of them I reckon some of them would have gone close to the 2kg mark.

Im beginning to find it difficult to believe that a 4.45 KG specimen was caught

caught and caught it was

this is now going back some 20+ years and it was cuaght in one of the arms of the camden haven river

to add to the twist the fish was even scaled and gutted before getting weighed and the molding from this fish is one of the most replicated fish molds in the country

how do i know well i know the bloke who did the first casting before the fish was handed over to fishierys

the fish castings can be seen in

north haven bait and tackle

betta buts

port macquarie fishing tackle

and fishing tackle australia (mo tackle) coffs harbour