Enviromentalists Turn Out In Force In Bega

Guest Sweep

I am disappointed,

I thought there might be some reasonable debate with what sounded like an intelligent and open-minded mob but Bob your comments are a major distraction. I am not (until now) talking to you - I will not waste any more time than this talking to somebody who is clearly politically motivated and rabidly opposed to MPAs and is so prepared to slag off a small fishing group trying to make a positive difference, and what is with this childish TEST taunt - grow up. I guess I should have known better than to post on a forum named fishraider....

Thankyou to those of you who made intelligent comments. I will be happy to answer any further questions on the (new and presently under-utilised) FFC forum http://www.ffc.org.au/phpbb/ . Anybody reading who supports aquatic conservation, opposes damaging commercial fishing gear/methods, realises that our environments are under threat and action is required (not a she'll be right, I can do whatever the hell I want just like my grandfather did attitude) and accepts the need for marine protected areas as one of the many tools for aquatic conservation - join us www.ffc.org.au

So Bob you win, consider me driven away from the forum.

Sweep

Oh and my comments are not intended to belittle the Fishraider forum which seems to be exellent for general fishing discussion but perhaps is not appropriate for this discussion.

Edited by Sweep

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am disappointed,

I thought there might be some reasonable debate with what sounded like an intelligent and open-minded mob but Bob your comments are a major distraction. I am not (until now) talking to you - I will not waste any more time than this talking to somebody who is clearly politically motivated and rabidly opposed to MPAs and is so prepared to slag off a small fishing group trying to make a positive difference, and what is with this childish TEST taunt - grow up. I guess I should have known better than to post on a forum named fishraider....

Thankyou to those of you who made intelligent comments. I will be happy to answer any further questions on the (new and presently under-utilised) FFC forum http://www.ffc.org.au/phpbb/ . Anybody reading who supports aquatic conservation, opposes damaging commercial fishing gear/methods, realises that our environments are under threat and action is required (not a she'll be right, I can do whatever the hell I want just like my grandfather did attitude) and accepts the need for marine protected areas as one of the many tools for aquatic conservation - join us www.ffc.org.au

Sweep

There will be no one driven away from forums boys ,unless I do it :tease:

Keep this thread to the point and make your statements good or bad based on facts ok

There will be none of this you dont know what you are talking about ,let everyone make up thier minds from reading informative posts please

Cheers Swordfisherman

Great thread ! Gotta love a bit of drama :1prop:

Actually ive enjoyed reading Sweeps posts, its rare that you get marine park advocates willing to post on fishing forums.

I still do oppose Marine Parks simply because in my opinion they are a last resort measure that has been implemeted up front based on politically motivated purposes.

I still do, and always have, failed to see how banning rec fishing in certain areas protects biodivirsity. I can understand the banning of commercial practices, but line fishign as well ? If its fish stocks they are worried about why not start by adjusting bag limits first and /or start by removed the pro's and seeing how it comes back ?

They wont. You know why ? Cause the greens are only interested in locking up the whole coast end of story. Unfortunatley they are convincing a lot of fringe groups and genuine supporters of conservation that this is the only way.

Procecting biodivirsity and fish stocks I fully support but the philosyphy behind these parks just doesnt make sense !

Guest fishrunner

Great thread ! Gotta love a bit of drama :1prop:

Actually ive enjoyed reading Sweeps posts, its rare that you get marine park advocates willing to post on fishing forums.

I still do oppose Marine Parks simply because in my opinion they are a last resort measure that has been implemeted up front based on politically motivated purposes.

I still do, and always have, failed to see how banning rec fishing in certain areas protects biodivirsity. I can understand the banning of commercial practices, but line fishign as well ? If its fish stocks they are worried about why not start by adjusting bag limits first and /or start by removed the pro's and seeing how it comes back ?

They wont. You know why ? Cause the greens are only interested in locking up the whole coast end of story. Unfortunatley they are convincing a lot of fringe groups and genuine supporters of conservation that this is the only way.

Procecting biodivirsity and fish stocks I fully support but the philosyphy behind these parks just doesnt make sense !

Totaly agree Grantm,

The only thing seems to be is that sweep came here to voice his opinions and I have no dramas with that, but then if people don't support his veiws on marine parks and decide to debate with him on the pro's/cons and /or hidden agendas, rather then defend his veiwpoint of the need for MP's he took his bat and ball and went home! :(

No-one could expect to join a fishing forum and post their opinions as being pro MP'S and expect members to back them, (if at all!) without some questions??!!,

There are people here alot more informed on the decision process re MP's than myself,. Thought the debate was fine and healthy. nothing wrong with a difference of opinion! you weren't driven away,, you chose to leave!

So why leave Sweep,

cheers

Edited by fishrunner

I am disappointed,

So am I. Every time there is a debate getting started between a supporter of Marine Parks in NSW and especially no-take zones for recreational fishers there is a lack of supporting evidence from them. If I have driven SWEEP away by any misinformation or untrue facts then please correct me. What irks me is the extremists cannot pallet an opposing argument. It doesn't take much to find creditable science to back up any argument, but it is there and known by the extremists to exist but I have witnessed many times how simple facts and figures get twisted around or mischieviously reported. It is not I who have implemented political marine parks in NSW and my political motivation is a protest against the arrogant bureaucracy.

There will never be any reasonable debate in this marine park political fiasco. It is driven by green extremists who will never be satisfied until ALL fishing is stopped. For any group to have concensus backing by that great list of extreme anti-fishing green mafia is under my suspicion. NONE of those groups will partake in a debate on the merits and the boundaries of marine parks and the zoning in NSW or will produce any creditable evidence to support their argument. To compare NSW waters with distant underveloped unregulated countries is fraudulent. Even the NSW government cannot supply supporting evidence to ban recreational fishing. Somebody please explain to me how there can be a set percentage of areas locked up in EVERY MPA. Some areas deserve to be locked up but only on proven facts not emotional rhetoric of the furry cuddly animal mindsets. I need to know what environment is under threat from recreational fishing in NSW (or SA or anywhere else) The research I have been through does not support this lock up agenda and SWEEP you have either missed referencing recreational fishing as a threat below or have no supporting proof. Also SWEEP you, just like TWS, NCC, NPA etc NEVER mention the real threats to the environment. Prof Leon Zann has stated in his many papers that there is a possibility that up to 50% of coastal fish stocks in NSW and southern Qld have been lost to environmental catastrophes. ALL the estuaries are silting up, some with limited or no tidal water interchange. The extremeists who give you consensus want NATURE to fix the problems. Our oyster industry is under immense threat from that type of crap. Millions of litres of sewage gets dispersed into our waterways, a fair bit is raw. Endocrines are prevalent, diseases, viruses and toxins are prevalent and all you extreme lot can argue about is to stop fishing. You say I am uninformed, I say you need to get out a bit more and open your eyes. If you want to conserve anything then you had better get the priorities right. The first is to get rid of the Labor Government in NSW and start fixing some problems.

Sweep, The TEST was to get your own state recreational anglers either on your side or give you some facts of life on the condition of their recreational fishery. If you can't do that then keep away from NSW

Sweep

Oh and my comments are not intended to belittle the Fishraider forum which seems to be exellent for general fishing discussion but perhaps is not appropriate for this discussion.

The people on Fishraider need to be able to express their views and beliefs. If they are different to yours then bad luck. That goes for other fishing chat sites as well. The fishing community as far as I can assertain is fed up with the crap they are being fed, all they want to do is go fishing and not be told when and where and how much.!!!!!!!

Bob Smith straight from the hip

• 2 months later...
Guest danielinbyron

Wetingaline,

The professionals who are bought out are well compensated and many of them are happy to take the money. They can always buy a license in another fishery if they wish to stay in the industry. Not so for the businesses affected indirectly by Marine Parks. The Qld government is being sued for 90 million dollars for damage to businesses in coatal towns due to the great Barrier Reef Marine Park.

As to your comment "let the greenies have their little park" are you really just trying to wind people up? In places like Byron Bay fishing is banned in virtually every inshore reef and the Byron Bay park is said to be the model for all new parks. People have bought boats and houses in these coastal towns with a view to fishing in their retirement. How do think they feel about these marine parks. Also note that the National Parks Association has a target of 20% lock out zones for all coatal waters in NSW.

what i feel about the park most is how rediculous it is that the pros are still fishing here and can fish in some parts for 50% of the time while recos get 25% OR LESS.... personally i think stuff the pros... if they don't like it get organised and strike.....if they're not happy about there buy out price they've been lying about there numbers..

.. as much as it hurts to give up some spots for five years there are some compensations that make fishing still possible here and to be honest some of my fishing should improve...particularly as beach hauling mullet comes to a stop..

IF REC FISHOS AND CHARTER OPERATORS were capable of supplying numbers to dpi and mpa it may be possible to get some scientific value out of this whole shimozzle ... as it stands its cross ya fingers and hope this does stocks some good...or more likely ban us then let the pros loose to get the numbers...

I've checked and THERE IS NO STUDY to base these parks on besides the numbers from Pros to the dpi....there isn't even an indepth study as to what those numbers mean....there fore the only way they can get any comparison is to get numbers off pros again. i mean really...halve bag limits and upsize keep size fish .. liscence amatuers to log in catches within the park area.... there are allot of practical alternatives to this park.. if rec fisherman don't have something to offer as an alternative to the park... they don't have anything.. and all the i'm not happies as protests are a waste of time.. personally i'm not gonna vote liberal and i'm not gonna jump on to anything with the pros ... and it would appear the fishing party will.

As much as i love my fishing i care about all poeple and all Australians more, including there right to a fair go at the beach in the boat or in the work place , re the polotics thats lobbying the fishing community we've all got a right to our view .. Mine around the liberal party, the war, immigration , erosion of rights in the workplace and how much i'd trust the liberal party to give recreational fishers a fair go , is that anyone that wants to jump in to bed with those scumbags doesn't reprisent me in any way shape or form. There just a pack of insipid little bullies . CONSTANTLY PUSHING TO SELL US WHAT WE ALREADY OWN.

Edited by danielinbyron