Greenhills Beach

Flattieman

Hi Raiders,

With the mornings on our Sydney estuaries getting colder by the day, I decided to opt for a change this morning - beach fishing. I normally fish of the Central Coast beaches, but was keen to give some Sydney beach fishing a go for the first time. Filled with optimism and hoping to back up madsmc's great jewie from yesterday (if luck was well and truly on my side - I wasn't targeting jewies), I arrived at the bait shop at around 8:30am.

After a quick chat with the staff, I decided to head down to Greenhills beach for a salmon and tailor session. The aim was to head down to Greenhills, have a nose around to pick a spot whilst the tide was still relatively low and then fish until the high at around 1pm. On arrival at Greenhills (9am), I realised that it was quite a stretch or sand :1yikes: . Saw and older fellow there and asked the obligatory "how'd it go?" he replied with a disppointed "just a small flathead and a small salmon." Generally not what you want to hear, but I noted a couple of good spots and by 9:30, the block of pillies was semi-thawed and I had a bait in the water.

The first hour was pretty quiet. That's often to be expected when beach fishing. I persevered until I noticed that the fish had arrived (only brought half-pillies in when I cast them out whole :biggrin2: ). After a little more waiting, I was into my first fish. The rod bent into a nice arc and then straightened. DAMN! Dropped it. Such is life... I rebaited and cast back out, but whatever had been there obviously got the shock of its life and had scooted off along the gutter with its mates.

By this time, heaps of surfers had arrived and began surfing the water that I was fishing. It got a bit annoying but I just thought to myself "they've got just as much a right to go surfing as I have to go fishing". I could understand why they were passing my line to get out to the break. Isn't it funny that sometimes, the surfing and fishing spots coincide? By this time I was thinking, "Hmm... If I were a salmon, would I swim past about fifty sharky-looking things with the chance of gobbling up a pilchard?" Probably not.

After about another hour of no fish (part of which was spent helping a bird that seemed to have broken his wing(s) and was about to get washed away by the rising tide - he's at the Cronulla Vet now) I shifted my spot about fifty metres up the beach where the surfers had moved away from - it was harbouring some very fishy-looking water now. I said to myself, "I'm gonna catch a fish in this patch".

First cast was a goodun' and I put the bait right where I wanted it to be. After following it along the beach for about 20m... BANG! - The rod was an arc and there was a smile from ear to ear. Woohooo the hooks are in! This fish was giving me curry on my 12’ beach stick and putting a bit of stretch into the mono. It ran me along the beach for a little while before I was able to goad it into a wave. I saw a nice flash of silver flanks and after a short tussle in the shallows, I beached a nice little salmon of about 50cm. My first Sydney beach fish! What it lacked in size, it made up for in weight and I couldn’t bring myself to kill such a fat, young specimen. Back he went – off like a rocket.

That felt great. Time for another. Next cast landed in about the same spot. After taking up the slack, it was only about a minute before BANG! I’m on again. By this time, I was laughing at the thought of a hot salmon session ahead. This fish stayed deep until I got it into the shorebreak where it was quickly beached. This one was larger (55-60cm) and was destined for Tuffy (new member’s) recipe. Welcome Tuffy. After a few pics on the useless camera phone that holds pictures captive (that’s why they’re not accompanying this) I went for another cast. By this time, the school had moved on, though. DAMN!

By now, most surfers had left and evidently a school of tailor moved in. They continued to take the pilchard up until the ganged hooks (smart?) before I hooked one – my last fish for the day. It was about 32cm and would make a nice present for my grandma who loves tailor. I’m yet to eat the fish, but will give a bit of an indication of how the salmon tastes when I cook it. All in all, I had fun with a nice alternative to freezing my butt off on Botany Bay or Port Hacking.

Flattieman.

post-1466-1153126533_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flattieman

Hi Raiders,

With the mornings on our Sydney estuaries getting colder by the day, I decided to opt for a change this morning - beach fishing. I normally fish of the Central Coast beaches, but was keen to give some Sydney beach fishing a go for the first time. Filled with optimism and hoping to back up madsmc's great jewie from yesterday (if luck was well and truly on my side - I wasn't targeting jewies), I arrived at the bait shop at around 8:30am.

After a quick chat with the staff, I decided to head down to Greenhills beach for a salmon and tailor session. The aim was to head down to Greenhills, have a nose around to pick a spot whilst the tide was still relatively low and then fish until the high at around 1pm. On arrival at Greenhills (9am), I realised that it was quite a stretch or sand :1yikes: . Saw and older fellow there and asked the obligatory "how'd it go?" he replied with a disppointed "just a small flathead and a small salmon." Generally not what you want to hear, but I noted a couple of good spots and by 9:30, the block of pillies was semi-thawed and I had a bait in the water.

The first hour was pretty quiet. That's often to be expected when beach fishing. I persevered until I noticed that the fish had arrived (only brought half-pillies in when I cast them out whole :biggrin2: ). After a little more waiting, I was into my first fish. The rod bent into a nice arc and then straightened. DAMN! Dropped it. Such is life... I rebaited and cast back out, but whatever had been there obviously got the shock of its life and had scooted off along the gutter with its mates.

By this time, heaps of surfers had arrived and began surfing the water that I was fishing. It got a bit annoying but I just thought to myself "they've got just as much a right to go surfing as I have to go fishing". I could understand why they were passing my line to get out to the break. Isn't it funny that sometimes, the surfing and fishing spots coincide? By this time I was thinking, "Hmm... If I were a salmon, would I swim past about fifty sharky-looking things with the chance of gobbling up a pilchard?" Probably not.

After about another hour of no fish (part of which was spent helping a bird that seemed to have broken his wing(s) and was about to get washed away by the rising tide - he's at the Cronulla Vet now) I shifted my spot about fifty metres up the beach where the surfers had moved away from - it was harbouring some very fishy-looking water now. I said to myself, "I'm gonna catch a fish in this patch".

First cast was a goodun' and I put the bait right where I wanted it to be. After following it along the beach for about 20m... BANG! - The rod was an arc and there was a smile from ear to ear. Woohooo the hooks are in! This fish was giving me curry on my 12’ beach stick and putting a bit of stretch into the mono. It ran me along the beach for a little while before I was able to goad it into a wave. I saw a nice flash of silver flanks and after a short tussle in the shallows, I beached a nice little salmon of about 50cm. My first Sydney beach fish! What it lacked in size, it made up for in weight and I couldn’t bring myself to kill such a fat, young specimen. Back he went – off like a rocket.

That felt great. Time for another. Next cast landed in about the same spot. After taking up the slack, it was only about a minute before BANG! I’m on again. By this time, I was laughing at the thought of a hot salmon session ahead. This fish stayed deep until I got it into the shorebreak where it was quickly beached. This one was larger (55-60cm) and was destined for Tuffy (new member’s) recipe. Welcome Tuffy. After a few pics on the useless camera phone that holds pictures captive (that’s why they’re not accompanying this) I went for another cast. By this time, the school had moved on, though. DAMN!

By now, most surfers had left and evidently a school of tailor moved in. They continued to take the pilchard up until the ganged hooks (smart?) before I hooked one – my last fish for the day. It was about 32cm and would make a nice present for my grandma who loves tailor. I’m yet to eat the fish, but will give a bit of an indication of how the salmon tastes when I cook it. All in all, I had fun with a nice alternative to freezing my butt off on Botany Bay or Port Hacking.

Flattieman.

Great report Flattieman . Almost a novel (Just kidding mate) :074: I did try Tuffys recipe and i must say much better than i have tasted before actually misses loved it and wants more so i suppose i will have to go back and try. :thumbup: You need to make sure as Tuffy says cook high heat and only ntill just cooked not over done or will dry. Cheers Mate

Well done Flattieman,and hope that Salmon cooks up

well for you,then you can give me the recipe pls :biggrin2:

:beersmile: penguin

Thanks guys. Penguin, here's the recipe (from Tuffy's post in offtap1's last report):

"bleed and skin fillets and then marinate for about 2 hrs in Olive oil, juice of half a lemon or lime, crushed garlic and Cajun Spices( supermarket available, looks like Chilli powder but not as gutsy) all mixed together. Can throw abit of crushed ginger in as well if you like- won't stuff it up.Put in Tupperware in frig then on to the HOT barbie. Cook only for about 3 -4 minutes each side. Marinade makes for a backened spicy coating on the fish - quite delicious. Serve with salad or home made chips and beer and white wine and more beer - and yes I almost forgot, have a couple of beers as well.

Best thing is not to overcook as the flesh becomes a little dry. If in doubt, take them off the barbie early - you can always toss em back on for a bit"

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

might be time for ken to do an overhaul of the recipies section. i've seen some nice recipies appear in threads that would be great all put together.

maybe even just have a new section for recipies????

Top idea,it would be good to try some other peoples

recipes,

:beersmile: penguin

Great report Flattieman & well done on getting into some of Sydneys' beach fish. :thumbup: They can be flighty but get them at the right time & you can have a ball. I think they're used to the surfers by now!

Does that mean less time fishing up the coast from now on?

Cheers,

Guest madsmc

Top report Flattieman. :thumbup:

Nothing wrong with fishing the beach when the westerlies blow, and a couple of nice sambo's and tailor make it a worthwhile trip.

Nevermind the jew, as I kept telling myself, stick with it and you'll get one eventually. :biggrin2:

Shane

:1fishing1:

Yeah - great work Flattieman, and :1welcomeani: to the wonderful world of Sydney beach fishing.

I had a bit of a stab at it on Sunday down at my local Eastern Suburbs beach after picking up some live blood worms at the tackle shop (can't seem to even raise a beachworm in winter, let alone catch one) and did OK. Two good whiting came from the session, which started just after the high (at about 12:30pm) and finished at about mid-tide.

I saw some seaguls working out to sea a bit and figured that the Tailor and Salmon must be around - glad to see you got a couple.

I agree with Jewhunter by the way when it comes to surfers - I don't reckon the Sydney fish even give them a second thought. I've pulled many a good fish from right at the surfers/swimmers feet in the past.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Does that mean less time fishing up the coast from now on?

I don't think so, Grant. I love the Central Coast.

What rig were you using btw?

I used a medium-sized star sinker running along my main line, below which was a swivel. Attached to the swivel was some 20lb fluorocarbon trace (couldn't find my 30lb) and then a set of size 3/0 gangs.

Flattieman.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I used a medium-sized star sinker running along my main line, below which was a swivel. Attached to the swivel was some 20lb fluorocarbon trace (couldn't find my 30lb) and then a set of size 3/0 gangs.

Flattieman.

cheers mate!

That sounds like a fantastic recipe, but I reckon there's one way you could improve it. Throw away the salmon at the end, eat whats left, and drink the beer.

Perfect! :beersmile:

Chalk, Chalk, Chalk..........You got no style at all !! Another way of doing it is to drink ALL the beer first, roughly about 12 stubs, and by then you'll be so pissed you won't know what you're eating !! Go hard!!!!