Kr Bonito - Aim And Fire

Guest Saqa

:fish_h4h:The fish arent safe any more. He needs to be stopped :gun_bandana:

Hi all

I built this one for dont shoot da chinamen who picked it up today. This is 6' fast tapered blank in IM7 with a glossy green finish. I rate this at 3-10kg and I suspect it might even handle 15kg which will require a bit of further testing. DSDC requested that the rod be compatable with both spin and baitcast reels so I trimmed the trigger :1Lighten: of an exposed blank style reel seat so the contour is still there to provide a nice comfy grip when using a baitcast and be able to mount a spin reel without getting in the way. To take advantage of the blanks very powerfull butt I used 3 double foot guides from the stripper onwards and single foot guides on the top third to preserve the sweet crisp action. I also double overwrapped the guides which cops most load.

Although 6' is a bit short for long distance casting it this one excells at vertical fishing and trolling which is what DSDC is going to use this for, it still casts very well. Sambos, tailor, rats, flathead, trevs and snapper are the target with this one and is very suitbale for chasing barra, jacks and like up north. This one will also be very good in the dams for cod and big bass.

post-1888-1153586581_thumb.jpg

post-1888-1153586590_thumb.jpg

post-1888-1153586607_thumb.jpg

post-1888-1153586630_thumb.jpg

Edited by Saqa

How on earth can a rod be rated at 3-10kg ? or to 3-15kg ?

Thats a huge variance in line ratings and drag settings for one rod ?

If only I could get a 15 - 60kg rod, then I could fish for Sailfish and Grander black marlin with the same outfit.

Chris

How on earth can a rod be rated at 3-10kg ? or to 3-15kg ?

Thats a huge variance in line ratings and drag settings for one rod ?

If only I could get a 15 - 60kg rod, then I could fish for Sailfish and Grander black marlin with the same outfit.

Chris

Mate this blank does not want to break. It started life as a 3-6kg but I keep on locking the drags of various reels and it still doesnt upset or overload it. A chronarch 100B is rated at 12lb max drag but this didnt even worry the rod.

Mate this blank does not want to break. It started life as a 3-6kg but I keep on locking the drags of various reels and it still doesnt upset or overload it. A chronarch 100B is rated at 12lb max drag but this didnt even worry the rod.

Pushing a blank to even near its point of failure is a risky game.

In fact If I was the customer Id be having second thoughts about taking

the rod cause of the over exertion the fibres have already endured through this.

Its easy to push a blank well over its rated breaking strain but you will only get away with it once or twice.

Im sure you are aware the Industry std is half failure load at 90 deg of a number of test blanks, not just one blank bent a few times.

Edited by allen glover

Pushing a blank to even near its point of failure is a risky game.

In fact If I was the customer Id be having second thoughts about taking

the rod cause of the over exertion the fibres have already endured through this.

Its easy to push a blank well over its rated breaking strain but you will only get away with it once or twice.

Im sure you are aware the Industry std is half failure load at 90 deg of a number of test blanks, not just one blank bent a few times.

Got to push the limits mate, the world would be a very stagnant and boring place if people didnt. The blank is within chianamen's spec. This is number 10 on the same blank in the last few months and they are all going strong. you sound very sour since I have joined fishraider. Have a look how the american builders work hand in hand instead of rubbishing each other. They have earned their peers and customers respect :tease:

I agree totally with Allen (dont think I've ever agreed with Allen before either lol)

Pushing limits is only fun if you have a 'No questions Asked" replacment warranty, otherwise it hurts the hip pocket.

I would be real hesitant in taking ownership of a rod thats been punished in that way. Load/line/drag rating's are there for a reason. The rest of the Angling world seems to adhere to them, I dont see the need to intentionally go over them to test the limitations of a blank.

I dont have any association with other rods, or rod builders. I do have a friend who's played with this exact rod you've built and he'd classify it as a solid 3kg stick. I take his word very highly in regards to rod ratings and blanks as you will not find a keener light lineclass fisherman who fishes his light tackle to the limit.

Could you also explain exactly how you load up and test the blanks/rods?

Chris

I do have a friend who's played with this exact rod you've built

Chris

Did he meet up with DSDC today? Did your mate have a fish with it?

I'll be more than happy to answer your question, just after you get around to answering some of the questions I've asked about the rod.

Chris

Come around to the workshop and I would be happy to show you. I love meeting up with all fishraiders. top bunch of blokes

Got to push the limits mate, the world would be a very stagnant and boring place if people didnt. The blank is within chianamen's spec. This is number 10 on the same blank in the last few months and they are all going strong. you sound very sour since I have joined fishraider. Have a look how the american builders work hand in hand instead of rubbishing each other. They have earned their peers and customers respect :tease:

Im not sour at all, I work in with a lot of very knowledgable builders from both Aust and OS. I just know through experience that things like 130lb spiral wrap jig sticks and overloading chinese blanks like pac bays are a quick way to disaster.

Do it all you like on stuff you build for yourself but when people are paying for rods like this

and you are using it for promotional purposes I think they have a BIG right to know that what you say in promotion of your product in some instances may not neccesarily the best for them.

You can push the "It hasnt been a problem yet" angle as much as you like but thats not the point ( though It will become the point soon enough trust me)

The point is that people pay hard $$$ for our product based on advice we give as a proffesional. but IMHO advice like spiral wrap 130lb jigs or treatment like this, of a rod that has all ready been prepaid for is far from providing that level of proffesionalism the market should be able to expect. even in an unregulated industry.

Apart from the fact that as a custom builder you still limit yourself to one range of blanks to provide all the markets requirements. True proffesionalism would mean at the very least you would have tested each item prior to even offering it to the market and if it is in fact erroneously rated by the factory( which I would doubt) and it is able to stand up to a lifetime of true 10 kg fishing then be knowledgeable enough to not sell or market it here as a 3-6kg blank let alone try and pass it off as a some plainly ridiculous rating of 3-15!!!

Geez the fact that you are spraying peoples purchases all over the web is poor form. Even with their permission. I know I wouldn't want my spending practices told to the world, least of all by the guy Im giving the money too.

Allen Glover

bet this wont last long

Edited by allen glover

Come around to the workshop and I would be happy to show you. I love meeting up with all fishraiders. top bunch of blokes

Since the questions were posted here, I'm sure the rest of the Fishraiders would be interested in the answer's as well.

I'm sure you realise by putting up posts like this, people were going to ask various questions about the rod, just like I did. I'm not taking a shot at you, and I quite like the asthetic's of the rods you build but there's more to rods than making them looks pretty.

Chris

thanks for your comments allan. My priority has always been making sure the client is happy with the rod. I always welcome any interested fishos to have a look at what I have to offer, give them a trial run when I come up with a new build and they make up their own minds

If you were to fish 15kg at roughly 1/3 of the breaking strain which is 5kg, 12lb is roughly 5-6kg so I would call it a 15kg stick.

Thats if it was designed to handle 5-6kg of drag day in day out for a year or two, not loaded up once or twice under that drag pressure.

Chris

Edited by Aero

is this sort of crap going to happen every time Saqa posts about a rod???

he has always been open to people to come and view, trial etc all his rods and im sure he would not let someone down if they werent happy. ill definately be seeing him next time i need a rod. dont spoil peoples joy over their new purchase, if chinaman is happy thats all that matters.

Jewnut,

What crap are you referring too? Its a discussion about rods, loads and line ratings.

I'm in the market for a whole set of 24kg short strokers (5 rods), and this was an oppurtunity for me to see how things were done at king rods. When your about to make a decsion to spend $2000 odd dollars on a set of strokers, you ask questions.

The post I assume was put up to generate interest in the rod, questions were allways going to be asked. I chose to ask a few, and have yet to recieve answers. Answers that might be relevant to a whole lot of fish raiders, not just myself.

Chris

Please keep this discussion just that guys, a discussion. Everyone is entitled to their opinions & has the right to ask questions.

However, personal attacks & critisisms will not be tolerated & some of the things that have been written are really pushing the limits. Lets keep it respectful from now on fellas.

Cheers,