Kr Bonito - Aim And Fire

Guest Saqa

Guest fishrunner

I have had a couple of rods built by Rohit, and am yet to be dissapointed. I had the pelagic L built in a baitcaster and a spin rod config, I was very imjpressed with these rods which were said to be a 6 kg rod.. lil did he know we pulled 7 kg of drag over this rod with a set of scales and I now fish both rods with 20lb braid.

This is exactly what I was after and more.! :biggrin2:

At the time I also had a look at at Rohits 15 kg short strokers and was impressed to a huge degree, (just wish I had more money). :1prop:

All I can say is go and ahave a look at his rods and give em a thought before you go and throw round critisisim, paying someone out is easy,,,,,,,, going and genuinely trying them out may be an effort but is well worthwhile. :biggrin2: , I suggest you give em a go!!!!

then make up your'e mind as Rohit has said everyone is welcome to test his rods out , so feel free ,, I personally don't think you will find a more genuine person.

cheers

I have had a couple of rods built by Rohit, and am yet to be dissapointed. I had the pelagic L built in a baitcaster and a spin rod config, I was very imjpressed with these rods which were said to be a 6 kg rod.. lil did he know we pulled 7 kg of drag over this rod with a set of scales and I now fish both rods with 20lb braid.

This is exactly what I was after and more.! :biggrin2:

At the time I also had a look at at Rohits 15 kg short strokers and was impressed to a huge degree, (just wish I had more money). :1prop:

All I can say is go and ahave a look at his rods and give em a thought before you go and throw round critisisim, paying someone out is easy,,,,,,,, going and genuinely trying them out may be an effort but is well worthwhile. :biggrin2: , I suggest you give em a go!!!!

then make up your'e mind as Rohit has said everyone is welcome to test his rods out , so feel free ,, I personally don't think you will find a more genuine person.

cheers

I can fish 50lb over a 3kg rod if need be but it wouldnt last long if done properly. Saying that what you write proves my point that if you can properly fish 7kg over a rod day in day out thats supposedly only rated to 3kg drag max then it is not a 6 kg rod and simply cant behave like one. I contest that If you truely put up 7 kg on it on any sort of regular basis you will be looking for a new rod quick smart either that or you simply havent bought a 6kg rod.

Look dont get me wrong Im not trying to lay aspersions on Rohits bonafides its just that Im in a position to be far more aware of the products he is using than most of the people who read these posts. I know the blanks I think know a bit about rod building. and IMHO its dangerous ground for customers to make descisions based on claims this grand given the stock being used.

Simply temper the claims!

Edited by allen glover

Hi Fishraiders

I rate this rod as 3-10kg and I stand by it. I have tested it with the reels mounted, line through the guides and tied of to a set of scales. I have applied loads from nothing to 10kg. with the rod at 45 degrees 1kg of drag loaded it in a nice working curve with the main bending area in the top third of the blank. from there I kept on increasing the drag and at 6kg the major bend area moved to about a bit more then half way down the rod. with the drag at 10kg the major bend covered a bit more then the top two thirds. I am confident that with the angle dropped down further I can increase the drag to 15kg but for this I will do a different build and report here with results after the blackfish social. This blank is fast tapered and the wall thickness in the butt is a lot more then other blanks which I have with smilar external dimensions. Pacific Bay blanks come with a lifetime warranty and I cover my work with 3yr warranty. All of my customers have made the comment that the blanks feel perfect for the application I aim them at and a lot of these guys are very experienced fishos. Other then being the distributer of Pacific Bay I also have wholesale accounts with Mudhole and Merrick which are two of the biggest outlets in America and I am able to get any brand of blanks and components that they carry. On average I have about 2 shippments coming in from Pacific Bay every month and around 1 shippment from Mudhole. My biggest single blank shippment from Pacific Bay this year was a consignment of 40 blanks from which only a handfull in 50lb+ remain. My regular blank orders are for around 4-25 every shippment. I charge only a small amount for labour as my biggest reward is seeing how much fun my average clients has with his rod and because I am trying to introduce an unknown product. I spend hours with my clients on their visits going over their requirements. I give total attention to performance and fit and finish. I do a lot of break tests. I drive my 1600kg car over some rods. I have a 100m measuring tape and I go to my local park to measure cast. I have access to a 1km long driveway as well. In situations where I am unable to test a rod I give it to experienced fishermen to put it through its paces. I stay up till early hours on most days working. I have fun building the rods. I advice but do not force my opinions on my clients. I welcome them to trial my advice to see if it works for THEM. I do not make posts about all the rods I make(i would never have time to complete any rods if I did). I only post where the client is happy to share his rod on fish raider). I would like to thank fishraiders for their support and willingness to give the fruits of my labour a fair go.

So far there has only been 1 component failure. 1 rod which didnt work the way it should have and one rod where the guide went out of whack and I didnt pick it up before appling the finish and delivering it.

The rod tally is about to hit 85 for this year

This is how things happen at King Rods

Ok fellas ,this thread has gone far enough about what is and what isnt :wacko:

I dont know many fishos that regularly catch so many fish in a lifetime that they can work their rods to the max everytime they use them.

Maybe a charter operator that fishes everyday perhaps .

For the guy who wants a rod that works at an affordable price Rohit provides that .

He has stated he stands by his product and the blanks . A 3yr warranty ,good enough .

Go catch some fish and lets see some posts about that and put all your rods you people have through thier paces .

I would like to see a report of all the broken rods one day and then go to the spot where all these big fish that wreck rods live . Possibly one of the large reef complexs out in the middle of nowhere ,where giant GT's roam :tease: and monster Dogtooth Tuna .

Enjoy your fishing.

Swordfisherman

Thank you for at least answering some of my questions saqa.

"I have applied loads from nothing to 10kg. with the rod at 45 degrees 1kg of drag loaded it in a nice working curve with the main bending area in the top third of the blank. from there I kept on increasing the drag and at 6kg the major bend area moved to about a bit more then half way down the rod. with the drag at 10kg the major bend covered a bit more then the top two thirds. I am confident that with the angle dropped down further I can increase the drag to 15kg"

Like Allen said, I'm aware of the drag settings my reels are capable of, loading rods this way to me proves very little. I could fish 20kg drag though my bream rods if I lower the angle enough and the reel foot of my reel doesnt snap.

When reeling in large fish our rod angle on the down stroke hits say 20 degree's, and the end of the upstroke or pump, close to 80 degree's. If the rod cant handle the desired drag load at, at least 80 degree's it not a rod I want to fish that drag pressure on.

Thank you for explaining your loading process though, at the very least it proves your not overloading rods with this procedure.

Swordfisherman,

Everytime we hook up to a large pelagic we work our tackle to the max. It may only be 15-20 marlin of various sizes, but in a 2-3 week period our gear doesnt rest. Bite times on the deep blue are often quite short, and being efficient and working your gear to its limit's allows you to quicky tag a fish and get another bait or lure in the water.

Glad to see the post stay half civilised, and a few questions answered.

Chris

Hi Chris ,civilised it will remain and as I said how many guys on here catch one Marlin in a lifetime :1prop:

Some of us work our gear hard as I do and if it lets you down its a real shame.

Quality gear will always keep you in touch with a fish of a lifetime if you maintain it and look after it

Cheers Stewy

Like Allen said, I'm aware of the drag settings my reels are capable of, loading rods this way to me proves very little. I could fish 20kg drag though my bream rods if I lower the angle enough and the reel foot of my reel doesnt snap.

When reeling in large fish our rod angle on the down stroke hits say 20 degree's, and the end of the upstroke or pump, close to 80 degree's. If the rod cant handle the desired drag load at, at least 80 degree's it not a rod I want to fish that drag pressure on.

Thank you for explaining your loading process though, at the very least it proves your not overloading rods with this procedure.

Swordfisherman,

Everytime we hook up to a large pelagic we work our tackle to the max. It may only be 15-20 marlin of various sizes, but in a 2-3 week period our gear doesnt rest. Bite times on the deep blue are often quite short, and being efficient and working your gear to its limit's allows you to quicky tag a fish and get another bait or lure in the water.

Glad to see the post stay half civilised, and a few questions answered.

Chris

I made this rod for vertical fishing. I did not think it was wise to test this at 90 degrees to the horizontal plane as this would be equivalant to extreme high sticking. The rod is positioned 45 degrees to the horizontol plane and the angle at the tip betwwen the straight rod and load is about 60 degrees

Although 6' is a bit short for long distance casting it this one excells at vertical fishing and trolling which is what DSDC is going to use this for, it still casts very well. Sambos, tailor, rats, flathead, trevs and snapper are the target with this one and is very suitbale for chasing barra, jacks and like up north. This one will also be very good in the dams for cod and big bass.

So its now only going to be used for vertical fishing? Trolling has been scratched from the equation? for such a multi purpose rod, with such a muli-purpose line rating he might still want to troll with it.

I didnt see Tuna in your list, so fishing straight up and down on most of the other "target Species" didnt even cross my mind, and quite frankly it still doesn't.

Though I wouldn't mind a nice torrid straight up and down battle with a flathead on the flats in 2 metres of water.

Saqa,

Don't stress, I wont ask you any more questions about any more of your creations. But its probably a good idea to keep in mind that someone like myself COULD at any time ask you various things about the rods you build. Straight and well informed answer's (unlike what I've seen here) could pave the way for quite a business venture

All the best with the rest of your creations, maybe one day I'll even buy a king rod.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Aero

I made this rod for vertical fishing. I did not think it was wise to test this at 90 degrees to the horizontal plane as this would be equivalant to extreme high sticking. The rod is positioned 45 degrees to the horizontol plane and the angle at the tip betwwen the straight rod and load is about 60 degrees

90 degrees has been the standard and only true test for blank strength since day dot, its building 101 and isnt extreme anything let alone high sticking which is classed as only starting OVER 90degrees!!!

For future refference if a blank isnt tested this way its nowhere near a true test. and any claims of a blanks, load bearing capacity based on such a test like this can't be true either.

but thats neither here nor there

Have a look at the pic in the report it looks pretty close to 90 degrees to me a pretty standard angle for any "vertical fishing Rod".

I cant help but think that if you had made this revelation plain in the first place, all would have been avoided.

Edited by allen glover

So its now only going to be used for vertical fishing? Trolling has been scratched from the equation? for such a multi purpose rod, with such a muli-purpose line rating he might still want to troll with it.

I didnt see Tuna in your list, so fishing straight up and down on most of the other "target Species" didnt even cross my mind, and quite frankly it still doesn't.

Though I wouldn't mind a nice torrid straight up and down battle with a flathead on the flats in 2 metres of water.

Saqa,

Don't stress, I wont ask you any more questions about any more of your creations. But its probably a good idea to keep in mind that someone like myself COULD at any time ask you various things about the rods you build. Straight and well informed answer's (unlike what I've seen here) could pave the way for quite a business venture

All the best with the rest of your creations, maybe one day I'll even buy a king rod.

Cheers

Chris

rod at 45 fish down below, rod at 60+ fish in upper half of water column. would you have me hold the rod at 80+ and apply the load down below

If a rod performs at 45 with a heavy drag setting and load straight down then what is stopping it from performing if the load moves away from under the boat and away and the rod is raised. Doesnt the angles stay the same? If the performance stay the same then why would it be any different if the fight started in high in the column and away from the boat in the first place. I told you how I tested it which is waht you asked for. I stated that the the rod is good for vertical fishing and trolling. With the rod in you holder at less then 90 degrees and lure out behind the boat the angle is still the same! So here you have a stick that looks like a light rod, has quite a fine tip because of the fast taper which makes it suitable for throwing lighter offerings and performs very well with heavy drag, then why cant this be used for barra and jacks. When did I say its ONLY for vertical fishing. I stated the intended use and where else it can come in handy

Are you finaly ready to tell me when your mate used this exact rod? Did he test it with scales? Did he look at the wall thickness (Bit hard without removing the cap). Or does he assume I built it with a certain blank he knows. I know which blank I used, ask him for the blank sku.

It is easier for me to demonstrate all this stuff in person and customers are always welcome to meet up so come around and have a look. I have one more of this blank left