Shimano Spheros 14000 Vs Stella 20000

Sammy0884

hi guys,

decision time again, i want to get into some jigging in the upcomming months, i already have the rod, a Shimano T-Curve Deep Jig 400. i have to put a reel on it now, and i am debating over which way to go...

i will be running 80lb Jigman braid, and i need to choose between spending $230 on a spheros and another $70 to beef up the drag and add another bearing. Or, i go the whole hog and buy a stella 20000 with all of the fruit for $950..

is the stella really worth three times the price? will i get three times the performance or three times the reliability? will the stella be more versatile? the difference in the end is that i can buy the spheros now, or i can buy the stella in a month or two..

thoughts? experience?

Cheers

Sammy

Edited by Sammy0884

Get the saltiga man sooooo much better and they have a beefed up drag that can put out 14kgs...

yes that right 14 kgs of drag, Just think to the scene at the end of The Matrix when three agents pull out their guns and shoot at Neo.................He raises his hand and says "NO"!!!!!! So anyway thats what you can do to Kingfish (Hoodlums don't count) and just reel the buggers in. Seriously sam if your going to spend that much on a reel get the rolls royce of gigging reels.

Guest fishrunner

http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=4060

30 kg of drag out of the box, as said above bee's knees,,,, but you pay for it, there are other saltigas, but for round $80 difference you may as well get the best!

Personally it's alot of money for a reel. If you were going to spend that much you would need to use it often and in the enviroment it's made for. :biggrin2: .

On the other hand the spheros will do the job well and leave you change to buy the jigs which cost 20 to 40 bucks depending on what you want($20 knifes work fine)., Don't forget you can always upgrade the reel in a couple of years if req'd!

just my 2 cents,,, good luck with the choice

cheers

Thanks for the quick replies guys...

i was having a look at the Saltiga, but they are just far too expensive and over spec'd for my requirements, i will not be doing anything monstrous with the setup, i think even the stella would be overkill.

I spose the real question is wether i can get away with the spheros or not with a beefed up drag (that will hold over 13kg of drag). The stella will hold 30kg of drag aswell. Remember that 8kg of drag will almost pull you out of a boat.

Also bear in mind, i have never been jigging before, and it will be a number of monthst before i will have a boat that will be able to get me to a jigging spot every weekend..

Guest fishrunner

IMO

You'll get away with a beefed up spheros easily and it will also give you the experience and hopefully the interest to continue with jigging if you decide it is a viable, consistant way of getting good kingies off syd. You may even be impressed with the spheros and have saved yourself some moolah. you can always upgrade in the future.

You've got a few months anyway,so there is no rush. It is always nice to get the best straight away and fills the fisherman with confidence knowing he is using the best gear, and it does feel smooth, - doesn't mean it's neccesary though! ,

cheers

Sammy,

Im doing a similar comparison but its between a beefed up spheros vs a saltiga.....pros and cons for both the way i saw it. The saltiga is built to do the job, and the spheros needs to be modified to do it. Price wise , you can get a spheros and if it dies in a few years get another, and another and still be cheaper than the top end reels. I dont do any jigging but was getting it for lure and gar casting at kingies....in the end , im opting for a saltiga for no reason other than it was built to do the best job and will give me scope that when i go north to the tropics it can handle anyting thrown at it. The spheros can probably do the same, but is it as smooth, and will it last..not sure...from what i have heard, constant big battles takes its tool on some components in it.

Guest BBM Rick

If your going to be a bear, BE A GRIZZLY!! Go the Stella or Saltiga, dont fart around with inferior stuff if you are in a position to have the best. It WILL inspire you to get out there more often.

Rick.

I would have to say go the Spheros, i just got one with the beefed up drag for $220.

I just cant justify spending $1000 on a reel when i know the spheros will do everything i need it to and more, trust me the spheros will pull in any king and still live to fight another day.

And yes the stella is an absolute masterpeice, but it is overkill, 30kg of drag, mate you will be swimming with the king if you actually need more then 15kg of drag.

Mate with the money you can save buy getting the spheros you can buy a downrigger, rod, etc. Things that will help you get hooked on to the fish.

Well thats my 2 cents worth

there seems to be more and more people that are actually needing stellas off sydney as jigging becomes more popular. I would go the stella if I could afford it, but then again, I reckon the daiwa saltiga rods have got it all over the tcurve in a huge way!

mate you will be swimming with the king if you actually need more then 15kg of drag.

Deepwater jigging puts a tremendous amount of pressure on both your back and arms, the average person wouldn't even be able to fish a drag setting half that for any length of time let alone some of the drag pressures that are being talked about here.

Sammy, I haven't been a big offshore jigga in the past (plan to this year) but i know some well known fisho's who offshore jig quite often.

All of them recommended the spheros to me with the beefed up drag, they said the stella was great buy not needed.

If you have the money to spare grab the Stella, but as stated before you can buy many other bits and get the spheros

Guest Reely

I agree with Netic, do you seriously think guys you's are gonna catch 20kg King after 20kg King off Sydney? I must be missing something then! Stella or Saltiga not needed off Sydney as a must, but i understand how we all want one!

Bashir, you make me laugh, from reels to Daiwa rods are better than the T-Curves, crack up, not having any go at ya :1prop::thumbup: So funny.

Guest Jewel

Saltiga rod to T-curve is no comparison........... different leagues.

Brands aside the Saltiga stuff is so much in front of the T-curve its not funny........ however the T-curve is still a very nice piece of gear...... and probably would be my choice for Sydney fishing.

Hey steve,

i have tried jigging with an overhead before, and compared to a spin reel it was a pain in the arse!

as far as the stella and saltiga go, i am really struggling to justify a combo that will be worth twice the next most expensive setup i have, given that it will see limited use

Can someone explain how the Daiwa equipment, both rods and reels, are superior to the T-curve and the stella, i am not familiar with their products.

Cheers

Sammy

I just went through the same decision process and ended up with 2 x Spheros 12000s matched with t-curve 400's. The whole lot cost me $800 and, just from looking at it, I can't see myself needing better gear. One should not forget that the Spheros is by no means a cheap reel - it is still more expensive than most (it's just not a Stella or Saltiga).

Now - for the million $$ question - do any Raiders know how to beef up the Spheros reels?

My understanding is that only two modifications are made:

1. An additional bearing is added to the non-handle side of the reel body to replace the plastic bearing, thereby reducing friction when winding under significant pressure.
  2. The drag washers are beefed up (somehow - presumably bigger washers or more washers are added).

Neither of these modifications would be at all difficult to perform yourself - you just need to know where to get the parts.

I'm going to suss this out Sammy so let me know if you end up with the Spheros and I'll see if I can order some upgrade parts for you too.

Hey Mondo,

you can get the upgraded kit from Dunphy sports (Shimano Australia) either direct or through your tackle shop.

The modifications are an added bearing and upgraded drag washers, i have been told you can also fit the nice handle from a stella, but i think that would be getting a bit expensive..

i am seriously considering the spheros, simply because it is more economical and i would feel terribly guilty spending $1000 on a single reel.

C'mon Sammy..spoil yourself....unless you are gonna cop it from :wife:

And here I am still saving for my reel.... :thumbdown: ..wont be long.

For the spheros you can also get a stiffer sideplate. Its done to some of the reels up in the nor west for jigging. I assume it reduces flex in the body and around the handle. And yes, there are other handles too. Drag washers I believe are replaced with carbontex ones.

cheers

I agree with Netic, do you seriously think guys you's are gonna catch 20kg King after 20kg King off Sydney? I must be missing something then! Stella or Saltiga not needed off Sydney as a must, but i understand how we all want one!

Bashir, you make me laugh, from reels to Daiwa rods are better than the T-Curves, crack up, not having any go at ya :1prop::thumbup: So funny.

I don't get what's so funny, sammy is comparing a spheros to a stella so I compared a saltiga rod to a t curve...... apples and oranges...

Guest Reely

Just thought the fact this whole thread is about Shimano's Reels, half way thru your post, you turn the debate to your opinion on rods? Must be me, sorry. :wacko: