Shimano Spheros 14000 Vs Stella 20000

Sammy0884

If you can afford a Stella 20000FA then go for it. My mate has 4 x Stella 20000's combined with T-Curve 400's and has taken some enormous fish, including a 400lb Blue Marlin, 60kg Doggies, huge Sailfish etc. He absolutely loves the outfits.

Although i think the Stella or Saltiga would be major overkill for Sydney jigging.......they would be a better option if you plan to also do some trolling for lineburners like Tuna or Marlin. I'd have no issues trolling a Pakula for big Stripes off Sydney with a Stella/T-Curve combo.

Cheers

Red

Guest hottuna

[My understanding is that only two modifications are made:

An additional bearing is added to the non-handle side of the reel body to replace the plastic bearing, thereby reducing friction when winding under significant pressure.

The drag washers are beefed up (somehow - presumably bigger washers or more washers are added).

Ive sold stellas, spheros and saltigas. If i had the funds id go saltiga. I purchased a 14000j spheros 8months ago, which has only caught a few small kings and a big shark, and still going great

Ive had one spheros i sold to a good mate who fishes in a centre console and uses jigs to 400g off syd. The reel always gets wet (wet boat) and dispite the so called waterproof drag. It been back to dunphys with drag problems twice in 4months, which they fixe.

What you need to understand is the spheros will last a while if using say under 200g jigs. Its the anti reverse that you pay $1000 + per reel for. NOT that a stella or saltiga is an overkill for sydney its the size of the jigs that there purpose built to jig time and time again WITHOUT FAIL!

Dan

thanks for a well informed post May Be NOT, i will be looking to run jigs between 250 and 400grams.. the last thing i want is unreliable equipment when i am onto a hot bite

i already have a 125 - 250 gram setup, which is a Tcurve 200 and baitrunner 4500

Guest hottuna

thanks for a well informed post May Be NOT, i will be looking to run jigs between 250 and 400grams.. the last thing i want is unreliable equipment when i am onto a hot bite

i already have a 125 - 250 gram setup, which is a Tcurve 200 and baitrunner 4500

My pleasure. The very same carbon fibre drag washers available for a spheros 14000 fit in the 4500 and 6500 baitrunners. Ive fit them to a few reels now. Makes a hell of alot of difference, just keep them dry

Dan

My pleasure. The very same carbon fibre drag washers available for a spheros 14000 fit in the 4500 and 6500 baitrunners. Ive fit them to a few reels now. Makes a hell of alot of difference, just keep them dry

Dan

where do you get them from? shimano direct? how much drag will they add to my btr?

Guest hottuna

where do you get them from? shimano direct? how much drag will they add to my btr?

Yes get them from dunphys at taren point. I haven`t had them over scales yet, but they feel alot more solid.

Cost about $28.00 for 3 washers - which is for each reel

dan

im a daiwa person myself, and use a saltiga z4500 and saltiga dorado 80tn rod, for kings mainly.

I can't say enough good things about the rod. An absolute powerhouse, and have seen photos of saltiga rods under so much load high sticking, the top grip has a visible bend in it! Worth every cent and more.

But with the reel, each time i use it i wonder where the $945 went. Its a great reel yeah, but where does the money go? If i was to buy another reel, it would probaly be a Shimano Twin power. Its a big jump from a Spheros to stella. I don't think there is much in it between the Twin power and stella. Twin power has my vote for you.

Regarding the 30 kg max drag, shwartznegger might be able to fish with it, but who else? Ive had my setup dead lifting 8kg off the ground, and there is no way i could fish with that all day.

Thanks for the info Raiders - I think I will give Dunphys a call.

Sammy - good luck with your problem. I still reckon go for the Spheros, simply because it's 1/4 the price, and if it fails you then you can get yourself a Stella without having wasted too much money. But if you've got the cash to splurge on the Stella and it's the reel that will make you happy - then go for it.

Guest hottuna

Be careful running big drag setting on a btr4500, I can picture the graphite reel foot snapping!

With the amount of baitrunners out there and number of people i know who fish 80lb braid and locked up drags (me included) + the many reels ive sold and upgraded ive never heard or witnessed any reel failure.

dan

Edited by hottuna

That's fair enough dan, I haven't witnessed it, but I did witness what aero has mentioned and I'm pretty sure they are all made from the same graphite xt7.

I've also seen two tld15s break in the same way fishing 15kg to the max. Food for thought anyway, like I said be careful I guess. :thumbup: